PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Great 'Cheap Christmas recipes' Hunt

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 3 December 2013 at 5:35PM in Old style MoneySaving
Great 'Cheap Christmas recipes' Hunt

Whether it's traditional turkey with all the trimmings, or a festive feast dreamed up by a celebrity chef, cooking a Christmas lunch can soon become very pricey. So we'd like to hear MoneySavers' cheap and cheerful recipes to bring the cost down.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

View all past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• rebeccatom
    Options
    For a cheap starter, I like to make chicken liver pate with onion relish and toast
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,631 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Not a recipe but you can reduce your costs by using your freezer! Buy whatever meat you'll be having earlier in the year when YS and put in freezer. Use frozen veg, home grown if possible. You could also freeze gravy previously made so one less chore to do on the day - just reheat gently in a pan or in a jug in the microwave. Then the only thing which probably needs buying at full price is the potatoes.

Won't help for this year but for future years - For the pudding, if you want a traditional pudding buy one in the sale after christmas and put away in a cool, dark place and it'll keep well until next year.

I managed to do this with the cake a couple of years ago as well when they were selling off the cake mix (think it was Delia's) for 50p so didn't cost very much to make a decent cake.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Denise
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Two money saving ideas rather than recipes.

1. Menu plan; all too often we rush round and fill our trolleys with all sorts of stuff "just in case" and end up with masses we cannot eat/use. Do you need a 11kg turkey for example, or even a turkey, for 2? Or would a single pheasant fill the bird shaped hole with a nice bit of beef for Boxing Day?

2. Think left-overs in advance. Those cooked sprouts can be frozen if necessary and turned into bubble and squeak. The stock from cooking a ham is the basis for soup (into which you can tip all sorts of already cooked veggies towards the end).

Strip the carcass of a bird and you have:
    cold meat for salads and baked potatoes
    meat for warm/hot salads like potato, chicken and avocado
    fillings for pies
    the basis of a curry
    something to pad out a pasta bake
    or to add to a stir-fry.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cheap but lovely chocolates can be made by getting in some grapes and clementine segments and dunking them in melted chocolate then putting them on parchment/greasedproof paper to set. Chill them in the fridge and they are yummy!!! will keep for a few days and you can use other fruit too but cut pieces don't keep as long!
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DIY "BAILEY'S" CREAM

Makes approx. 1 litre

INGREDIENTS

400g tin of condensed milk
    170g tin of evaporated milk
    300ml carton of single cream
    250ml of Scotch whisky
    4 teaspoons of coffee essence

METHOD

Pour the milk and cream into a 1 litre jug or bowl.

Add the whisky and coffee essence.

Stir together.

Pour into a clean 1 litre bottle.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

Adjust the amount of coffee essence to taste.

The original recipe specified UHT long-life single cream, but this can now be difficult to find. Use normal single cream instead.

Don’t use your best single malt for this. Any cheap supermarket own-brand blend will do.

TIPS

Use the whisky to wash out the milk and cream containers, then add it to the bowl.

This will keep in the fridge. However, I don't know how long it will keep for: it’s never stayed around long enough to go off.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I totally agree with RAS about the planning. My rule is that I don't mind buying anything provided it won't be wasted. Anything frozen or packets or jars/cans is fine. So I'll have puddings or biscuits or crisps or jars of antipasti or pickles any freezable meats.

The only thing that's ever been wasted is salad leaves. A way round that is to buy baby spinach instead and use that up in cooking or buy tasteless iceberg lettuce which lasts for ages. Although I'm sure I saw Jamie Oliver putting cooking lettuce.;)
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,631 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Lettuce, particularly little gem, is good cooked with frozen peas & spring onions. The French sometimes serve this with meat & potatoes. I've cooked it like that a few times when the lettuce is getting a bit limp!

Denise
  • lkjhgfdsa_2
    Options
    Jazz up cheap dried stuffing by putting some dried cranberries in it when you add the boiling water.
    Dried cranberries are often pricey but check out the small snack packs as you only need a small amount and often these are on 3 for 2.
  • 1. Go for frozen instead of fresh - saves the panic last minute. Ald! have what looks like some really nice 4 bird roasts for £9.99 in the freezer section.
    2. Put stuff away from the family's eyes if you buy things, eg crisps and biscuit, in advance. My OH will eat an entire pack of chocolate mints if they are left within view! (But make sure you remember to bring them out - no point putting them in a 'safe' place if you can't find them on the day!
    3. Plan, plan, plan! It might sound pretty boring (but I enjoy it, saddo) but try to estimate how many you'll be feeding and for what meal. It will save a fortune if you can rustle up a quick omelette before one of the many Christmas parties or carol singing events rather than ordering a takeaway later on.
  • bluecanoe
    Options
    Two family favourites for left over turkey are:
    1. Mix any dark or light meat with a tin of condensed mushroom soup and serve over rice. Also good with extra mushrooms, frozen peas or any other green veg mixed in. Serve with a dash of Paprika on top for a very respectable Boxing day dish.
    2. Christmas wouldn't be the same without a turkey curry- add meat to jar or can of sauce and serve with rice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport