The Great 'Cheap/free storage lockers' Hunt

Options

Comments

• quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How about MORRISONS ?

Don't know if it is all branches or just those with restaurant facilities ....

... but TROLLEY LOCKERS do exist in-store

Put a £1 coin in to get a KEY OUT when it's locked (£1 returned when key is)

Presumably each key is unique - save for a store master key

OK, I guess you cannot leave it overnight - staff almost certain to become suspicious ...

... but possible for storage from 9am to 6pm if store has 8am - 8pm opening hours

You could always leave a "scribbled" note just in case it is opened by staff
    Sorry, had to dash home double quick to deal with emergency.
    Couldn't take this with me, should be back by nn:nn

Perhaps include your mobile number - if you're called at least you know your ruse has been discovered

Not sure you could do very often but at least worth a thought

I know people put pushchairs in them when they put the child(ren) in a trolley
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • sunstarrr
    Options
    Be careful of leaving bags in galleries: some galleries may be wise to this!
    On one trip to Edinburgh - probably a couple of years ago now - I was short of money for the ridiculously-priced left luggage at Waverley station, so I left my bag at the National Gallery shortly after they opened up in the morning, then went to their cafe (in the gallery) to grab a coffee... As I was putting on my coat, getting up to leave to see some sights in the city centre, with my bag still in the gallery cloakroom, the security guard (who had been watching me the whole time...a bit creepy) came up to me and told me (not politely!) that I they weren't a free luggage storage service and basically almost frogmarched me back to the cloakroom to pick up my bag. Obviously they must have quite a few people try doing this...
    Even though I was not in the right it was quite an unpleasant experience and has sadly put me off visiting the gallery ever since :(
  • desperate_dan
    Options
    Winter Gardens in Sheffield
    Free luggage lockers at the Winter Gardens in Sheffield.
    They're downstairs underneath the escalator.
  • sunstarrr wrote: »
    On one trip to Edinburgh - probably a couple of years ago now - I was short of money for the ridiculously-priced left luggage at Waverley station, so I left my bag at the National Gallery shortly after they opened up in the morning, then went to their cafe (in the gallery) to grab a coffee... As I was putting on my coat, getting up to leave to see some sights in the city centre, with my bag still in the gallery cloakroom, the security guard (who had been watching me the whole time...a bit creepy) came up to me and told me (not politely!) that I they weren't a free luggage storage service and basically almost frogmarched me back to the cloakroom to pick up my bag. Obviously they must have quite a few people try doing this...
    Even though I was not in the right it was quite an unpleasant experience and has sadly put me off visiting the gallery ever since :(
    That's a real shame :( I'm sure the gallery would be interested in receiving some feedback about the uncourteous manner this security guard treated you with. I feel a bit angry on your behalf :mad:
  • butschwa
    Options
    I would also go with the museum theme:

London: The British museum charges £1.50 per item (but not suitcases unfortunately)

Edinburgh: Edinburgh museum charges £1 per item

Both of these sites are relatively near the shops and since you are paying for them, you don't feel so guilty. I was in London last week and Euston station charge about £9 per item so try to avoid those types of places.
  • Jelly_Biactol
    Options
    sunstarrr wrote: »

I've had exactly the opposite experience, when using the Scottish National Gallery lockers to store luggage (backpack) during the day. The last time, I asked the cloakroom attendant if it was OK and his classic reply (you have to imagine the Scottish accent) was 'Nae bother!".
    'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.'
    Groucho Marx

• WickedAunt
    Options
    Edinburgh - I've left luggage (small wheeled suitcase and a cool bag) in the National Gallery and the staff were fine with it - mind you, I did wander round the gallery for a couple of hours before my train. I also saw a whole crowd of Spanish students leave backpacks and head out into Princes St Gardens, again without the staff complaining.
    Smile. You'll feel better, and other people will wonder why . . .
  • stewgreen
    Options
    - laundrette : they have to look after bags of clothes anyways so you ask politely and tip them well for their trouble ..there is a good chance. (also some places where there is a toilet attendant)
    - a good charity shop in some areas should also take the opp to make some cash off you, as they have stockrooms

- Top respect to all those tourist offices/museums who understand helping tourists brings spending, and encourages them to bring their families next time.
    - Terrorist loonies - disrepect to you for getting luggage rooms closed down
    - rude sign to all those idiots who have closed their local luggage rooms
    ..guess people end up bringing their portable steel boxes to town to leave their gear in (cars I mean ..aren't we supposed to be discouraging car use ?)
    - (I have seen a guy who tied his bag to the railings with his dog tied there also guarding it.)
    - I am sure if someone sat behind a counter they could do a good business looking after peoples bags if you can get 200 people/day then they can pay the rent & break even.

- but I know when you are in town you leave your luggage at YOUR CLUB don't you old boy/girl
  • sunstarrr
    Options
    WickedAunt wrote: »
    Edinburgh - I've left luggage (small wheeled suitcase and a cool bag) in the National Gallery and the staff were fine with it - mind you, I did wander round the gallery for a couple of hours before my train. I also saw a whole crowd of Spanish students leave backpacks and head out into Princes St Gardens, again without the staff complaining.
    good to hear, maybe I was just unlucky and went when the security guard was having a bad day!!!
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    luxor4t wrote: »
    Chains like Premier Inn, and many other hotels are happy to store your luggage for the day after you've checked out. Always worth asking (in advance).

10:00 AM - could we book in and leave our bags somewhere?
    No come back after lunch.

Perhaps the staff were having a bad day?

Do Premier Inn hotels provide luggage room facilities?

Most of our hotels have luggage room facilities, however some do not therefore it is advisable to check with the hotel direct. For contact details, please see your chosen hotel's details page using our Find a hotel
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure