PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Rent payments on credit files 'should help social housing tenants'

Options
Former_MSE_Helen
Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
edited 11 November 2013 at 10:56AM in House buying, renting & selling
"A new scheme to put rent payments on credit files will start next year, MoneySavingExpert.com understands ..."
Read the full story:

Rent payments on credit files 'should help tenants'

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Road_Hog
    Road_Hog Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't see this helping tenants. Just another industry wheeze to provide a profit centre.
  • ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I seem to remember that this was put a stop to a while back

from TFA
    Tenants living in rented homes would have better access to bank accounts and credit if information about rent payments was added to their credit rating, says Experian.

Really this is Experian grandstanding and trying to increase their market. It is not necessarily an entirely good thing.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • Road_Hog
    Road_Hog Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ValHaller wrote: »
    I seem to remember that this was put a stop to a while back

from TFA

Really this is Experian grandstanding and trying to increase their market. It is not necessarily an entirely good thing.

Yep, all about increasing business and profits. Personally I think companies already get too much information about people. If you apply for a job these days, the criminal record section wants to know about motoring offences.

What on earth has a 3 pointer got to do with my ability to do the job. I'm so glad I'm self employed these days.
  • ruggedtoast
    Options
    And in one fell swoop the tenant's legal right to withhold rent if a landlord refuses to do repairs disappears entirely.
  • dodger1
    dodger1 Posts: 4,579 Forumite
    Options
    And in one fell swoop the tenant's legal right to withhold rent if a landlord refuses to do repairs disappears entirely.

According to the CAB there is no legal right,

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/housing_e/housing_renting_a_home_e/getting_repairs_done_while_renting.htm
    It's someone else's fault.
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options

This right doesn't exist. If you withhold rent, you could find yourself with a CCJ.

I would be slightly concerned about this in general though, simply because I have had some pretty unprofessional landlords in the past. I can imagine adding a battle to have unjust statements removed from the credit record to the fight to have your full deposit returned...
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I wouldn't trust a landlord to report, oh I don't like you missed payment. Also Experian believe the lender over the persons whos file it is even with proof so cant see it been a good thing.

Experian like it for one reason, money from the landlords to report to them.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • rpc
    rpc Posts: 2,353 Forumite
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust a landlord to report, oh I don't like you missed payment. Also Experian believe the lender over the persons whos file it is even with proof so cant see it been a good thing

"Your rent has just gone up (with no proper process or maybe even in the fixed term). If you don't pay it, I'll report you."

If landlords (social and private) are to be permitted to report to credit agencies then surely they should be regulated as a credit provider and have routes such as the FOS open for adjudication?

How does this tie in with HB? "The state successfully paid X's rent for them for Y years."
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A bit of ado about nothing. Under the principles of reciprocity, lenders (and others) can only see data they elect to feed back into the system from their own customers. So those who do not intend update rent payment history with CRAs will not be able to see peoples' payment histories themselves. As it is most tenant searches now just look for CCJs, which are public information and more relevant to tenancy checks than anything else. As far as I am aware, there is also a fee for a company to join the credit reporting reciprocal system, which would put off all but the largest estate agents from joining.

The payment history will probably not be therefore used or supplied by many. I don't personally see the issue on principle: rent is a priority expenditure, and payment history is reported on most other similar agreements which are far less important. If someone fails to meet their #1 most important obligation then that is very relevant information for a person's credit standing.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • ahxcjb
    ahxcjb Posts: 209 Forumite
    Options
    Road_Hog wrote: »
    Yep, all about increasing business and profits. Personally I think companies already get too much information about people. If you apply for a job these days, the criminal record section wants to know about motoring offences.

That is simply not true. An employer has no right to ask you to declare non-recordable offences (ie, the vast majority of motoring offences) as they are immediately 'spent' under the ROA 1974.

However, if you've been convicted of a recordable motoring offence (drink driving, dangerous driving, careless driving etc) then there is no question that these should and need to be declared. These are serious offences, and shouldn't be regarded as 'just' driving offences.

I hope that clarifies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport