MSE News: Universal credit - Most claimants unprepared, Citizens Advice says

"Most people on benefits who are out of work feel ill-prepared for the switch to universal credit, according to new research from Citizens Advice..."
Read the full story:

Universal credit: Most claimants unprepared, Citizens Advice says

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• It is a universal car crash and the ones who will suffer will be the poorest, who can't afford the internet it is a catch 22 situation and IDS should face trial for the tax payers money that has been lost because of his hatred of the most vulnerable
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Not as unprepared as the government though!

The whole thing is descending into chaos, and as it has 'been red flagged' (by the government auditors) and seen as unlikely to succeed in it's present format, as the IT system cannot cope, then it may be that the whole thing will have to changed.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • so one of the side effects of universal credit is to bring more people into mainstream banking --- so the banks will be making even more money and whoever is running this part of the banking system will probably be paid a healthy bonus
    it`s time now that the people actually woke up and smelled the coffee ( well those who can afford the coffee )
  • Why does it have to be paid monthly? Its alright for those over paid millionaire politicians who have plenty in the bank to not need to worry about running out of milk/bread/nappies but what about the rest of us?! There's no way I'd manage if everything was paid once a month and I'm not in the poorest of brackets. This whole thing is just asking for trouble :mad:
    :(:( Was In Debt:(:(
    :T:TBut Now I'm Not :T:T
    :j:jNow To Get Some Savings!! :j:j
    :beer:
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    thornelius wrote: »
    Why does it have to be paid monthly? Its alright for those over paid millionaire politicians who have plenty in the bank to not need to worry about running out of milk/bread/nappies but what about the rest of us?! There's no way I'd manage if everything was paid once a month and I'm not in the poorest of brackets. This whole thing is just asking for trouble :mad:

You get the same amount just in a lump sum. Where is the issue?

Those that work that get paid monthly have the same issues!
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    thornelius wrote: »
    Why does it have to be paid monthly?

I haven't been paid weekly since a cash in hand job as a teenager and I'm in my forties now. Monthly income is the norm.

I know one of the reasons why Local Housing Allowance was switched to being paid directly to tenants was to improve their readiness for employment by taking responsibility for their own personal budget. Perhaps this is a reason why UC is following a monthly path - to mimic most employment income? I don't know, just musing.

At the end of the day, the recipient receives the same sum of money for the period.
  • Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My concern is how people ensure they're being paid correctly if all of these benefits are rolled into one. I've seen hundreds of threads over the years regarding tax credits overpayments and incorrect awards. The advice is to double check every detail of course but with one payment for six benefits I see a potential for massive issues. Not everyone has good financial knowledge or the ability to understand complex awards.
    :A
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • BigAunty
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Toto wrote: »
    My concern is how people ensure they're being paid correctly if all of these benefits are rolled into one. I've seen hundreds of threads over the years regarding tax credits overpayments and incorrect awards. The advice is to double check every detail of course but with one payment for six benefits I see a potential for massive issues. Not everyone has good financial knowledge or the ability to understand complex awards.

UC sounds like a dogs dinner in terms of its implementation. However, the original concept was a sound one - making benefit payments simpler and quicker by rolling a number of separate benefits into a single payment, cutting down on fraud and error.

Currently there are 50+ benefits, credits and allowances to administer, with some of the systems not integrated with each other that allows these errors to fester.
  • MissMoneypenny
    MissMoneypenny Posts: 5,324 Forumite
    edited 7 November 2013 at 3:32PM
    BigAunty wrote: »

Currently there are 50+ benefits, credits and allowances to administer, with some of the systems not integrated with each other that allows these errors to fester.

Plus all the staff the state pays to administrate them.
    As someone on here said before, if it was the other way around and UC was being split into 6 benefits: where some benefits were to dealt with by all the different councils in the UK and others dealt with by various other government offices, we would say what a waste of taxpayers money that was, to be funding all those extra staff.

The idea of paying UC monthly is because UC will be all the income based benefits for those of working age. When claimants get off UC, they will no doubt have a job where they are paid monthly and UC will have prepared them for this.
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.
    Read the sticky on the House Buying, Renting & Selling board.

• BigAunty
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ... if it was the other way around and UC was being split into 6 benefits: where some benefits were to dealt with by all the different councils in the UK and others dealt with by various other government offices, we would say what a waste of taxpayers money that was, to be funding all those extra staff.

In fact, I don't think UC goes far enough - every benefit should be rolled up into one single monthly payment. Also, council tax and benefits should be on the same system, too, instead of the split between central and local government.

Currently, a benefit claimant can identify their entitlements using an online benefit wizard so can get a single overview of what they should receive in five minutes - then they have to go off and apply for a handful or more separate forms to various separate bodies that get paid at different periods across the month.

It's a shame that all the benefits, allowances and credits can't be applied for online at the same time, held as a single record that warrants a single monthly payment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure