The Great 'Singles holidays... revisited' Hunt

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
Great 'Singles holidays... revisited' Hunt
We featured this hunt a few years ago and got some great suggestions for firms providing singles holidays. This time around, we want to tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge on specific tips and tricks to cut the cost of solo travel.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide .

View all past Great Hunts .

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• kazt2006
    kazt2006 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    I travel quite a bit on my own and I'm fed up of the major travel companies either adding huge supplements for a "Single Room" - yes you got who else are they going to let it to - or not prepared to do what is known as an "under sell" on a double or twin. After all they can resell the extra airline seat (using flying as an example but would equally apply for coach travel) and will have some rooms that are over capacity to bridge some of the "profit" gap. The thing that annoys me most is because I'm quite independent I'm low maintenance when I'm in resort, but equally reps don't make a right lot of commission out of me either.

I have a preference for a sole use of double or twin and to a point I'm willing to pay extra for it. Easyjet holidays will usuallly allow you to have the room type you want since they put the package together, but I have found that you often get better service if you book direct with the hotel or at least do it so you pay on arrival at the hotel as some sites agree lower rates to pass on savings but this compromises basic services such a bedding and towel changes.

Having just come back from my 2nd break this year where I put the package together myself - buy the flights when first releases, spend time studying and choosing accommodation (I use booking.com for the ability to pay in resort) to meet your needs and then arrange transfers from the airport, I'll be doing this more often. Granted this isn't everyone's idea of a "Solo Holiday" as you may go for the organised tours and to meet new people but it works for me. The other advantage is no need to pay the balance 8 to 14 weeks in advance of your departure date.

I know from talking to other people that National holidays offer low single room supplements on most of their short breaks, but again book early as late deals often want 2 people to travel. Saga for the over 50's also do the type of guided tours which would allow you to meet people often with reasonable single supplement.

Overall advise would be to assess whether you are willing to pay the "penalties" for Solo travel. Why should Solo travellers be disadvantaged - our money is a good as anyone else's!!!
  • ewan_c
    ewan_c Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Mercury Direct offer quite a wide range of solo offers.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I've travelled alone loads of times - never on a package, packages just aren't (generally) suited to solo travellers. Hostels are great for solo travellers as you meet loads of other solo travellers so you'll never get lonely, and most hostels offer private rooms these days if you don't want to sleep in a dorm.
  • Tiger_Tony
    Options
    A couple of years ago I tried to book six rooms in Norfolk for a couple of night's B & B. I was organising a trip for six bird watching friends - No couples, just a mix of males and females all in their fifties and sixties. I realised that few establishments have six single rooms so was happy to pay more for single occupancy of a double room. One place I rang had six rooms available. I asked how much we'd pay per room. The proprietor said that as it would be single occupancy, he would not let us have the rooms. I said that we might be able to pay double so that he would receive the same amount as two people occupying each room and he would gain by not having to prepare so many breakfasts. He still refused on the grounds that we would be depriving a larger number of people the opportunity of visiting Norfolk!
  • MaryA
    MaryA Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Similar experience in Southern Ireland, I was refused a room at one guesthouse because the Tourist Board wouldn't like it if they overcharged a single at a double rate and they wouldn't let it at a single price.
  • essjae
    essjae Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Try staying at a UCPA in the French Alps - its basically like a youth hostel for activity holidays (they also do other activities, not just skiing and snowboarding).
    Includes accommodation, full board, equipment hire, tuition and lift pass.
    I haven't yet been myself, am booked to go this January!
    No single supplement, as the accommodation is in dorm rooms of 4 - 6 people (all same gender, of course).
    I couldn't find a cheaper way of putting together a ski trip, even when looking at putting a group together and going self-catering, certainly for a solo traveller it is far cheaper than paying for single occupancy of a double/twin room, and I expect will be more social as there will be plenty of others also on their own.
    As a rough idea of cost, this winter I'll be going with a group in February to a chalet in Italy which will cost around £1000 once travel, lift pass, food & spending money is factored in, and this is based on a pretty cheap chalet, whereas my trip a couple of week earlier to a UCPA on my own is going to be under £750 including travel etc.
    I've booked through Action Outdoors, who are a UK based partner of the UCPA, so rather easier than trying to navigate the french website!
  • dr_bluestone
    Options
    Hi - companies like G Adventures and Intrepid Travel do not charge a Single Room Supplement. These type of holidays attract solo travellers so they put together same sex people on the same trip .... if an odd number of travellers then single rooms are often provided on a rotation basis.

True, you're travelling with 'strangers' on Day 1, but in my expereince these people tend to be 'friends that you've not yet met' .... like minded people mostly and if you're travelling or experiencing the culture as you should be then you're not in the room for much other than sleeping.
  • Shiggaddi
    Options
    I'm in the process of meeting up with a group of friends in April. The organiser decided to choose the hotel and arranged a deal at a Holiday Inn in the town we're meeting up in, and not only is it proposed that a single person has to pay for a double room, but the B&B rate which pushes up the cost of the room, is also the same even though they only have to serve one breakfast. Earlier this year, we met at a Travelodge and the room rate was only £22, which although sleeps 2, isn't too much to pay for a single room. There was at least the option to add breakfast and evening meal per person, rather than per room, and I ended up paying £39 which isn't too bad to room, evening meal and breakfast the next day.

Part of me thinks that £74 is way too outrageous and considering not going out of principle if I cannot get a fellow male to share a twin room.

I've also done holidays by myself, and been on package holidays, and also booked separate items from different sources. I've found that if you book low season you can get good deals, and still better weather than the UK. One example was Tunisia in March for £360 10 days all inclusive, and when I looked at the price for a couple going, it was only £700, so the single supplement isn't too bad. However, if I wanted to go later on in the year, the cost for a single person shot right up, but for a couple the cost didn't shoot up quite as much.

I've also got my first touring holiday booked in January with a company called Explore. Like a few other companies, they pair you up with someone of the same sex to share a room, but with an option to pay a single supplement if you want your own room.
  • Daggers_2
    Options
    Further to dr_bluestone's suggestions above (#8), a number of similar companies exist. I've been with each of the following, and can recommend them all:

Explore (Just seen these are also mentioned at #9)
    Exodus
    The Adventure Company
    Imaginative Traveller
  • Sparkle_66
    Options
    This year was my first time going on holiday alone, so in May I booked a late deal to travel in June through a travel agent. I wasn't too bothered about where so long as it was sunny, had a nice beach and was all inclusive. I ended up in Sunny Beach in Bulgaria and had a fantastic time. It cost approx £30 extra for the week for single supplement which I was happy to pay and I still got a double bed. I'm considering going back next year as the Balkan Holiday brochure shows which hotel/dates when no single supplements apply so I've booked time off work during this period. However if I wanted to go on a cruise I'm looking at £350 extra for a single cabin. Why should I have to pay a ridiculous amount for a cabin designed for 1 person anyway. These charges are totally unfair and unacceptable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure