IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKCPS parking invoice cancelled

Options
I thought I would post as a newby here, as I spent ages last weekend reading through the posts on here for advice and found it very helpful.

I will TRY to keep it brief (I'm not known for my briefness!) I got back from holiday last weekend to find a parking invoice from UKCPS relating to me 'walking off site' on 19th July - the invoice referred to me having ignored the ticket affixed to the car (there absolutely wasn't one) and therefore the £60 reduced charge was now £100 - this was the first correspondence I'd received from them. I was furious to say the least, hadn't really heard about these PPCs at all and was amazed at the amount of information/disgruntledness found on these sites.

I have used this car park in my local town regularly to shop at the units there, only park to shop there and never take advantage of the facility - was totally aware that it was customer use only and you could park free for 2 hours - this can be clearly seen on the signs as you drive in - had no idea until I went back to the units to look at the signs that it had a string of other things you couldn't do in smaller letters not really readable from a car driving through - one of which was passenger or driver not to walk off site.

I did briefly leave the site, first time I ever have, literally for 2 mins after spending £50 in one of the shops. I managed to find a receipt which was timed 3 minutes before the 'offence'.

When I returned to the site last weekend to check the signs, I spoke to a staff member in Next where I'd spent my money and he suggested I ring or write to the landowners, even took me to one of their signs so I could find the telephone number.

They were only Mon-Fri office hours, so I emailed them a copy of the invoice and my receipt, expressed my annoyance at the whole situation and how much time I'd spent getting advice and they should be aware how unfavourable the information about UKCPS and the like were on this and other consumer websites. I even admitted to them that I'd walked off site very briefly and what the circumstances were and that I didn't take kindly to knowing that I must have been watched.

I then wrote to UKCPS using some of the template information I found here and the like, sent them a copy of their invoice with anomolies highlighted, I didn't admit to being the driver, only the keeper - I didn't mention I had walked off site, just said that unless they had evidence to this effect I wouldn't be entering into any further correspondence with them and they should therefore send me the POPLA stuff.

Friday I had an email from the landowners, very short and sweet telling me they would contac UKCPS to cancel my parking invoice and to let them know straight away if I got any further correspondence from UKCPS.

I don't know whether I would have got the same result had I not written to the landowners too but nevertheless, very pleased with the result and would like to thank the posters on this site for their valuable information which gave me the confidence to appeal :)

Since this happened I found out that my dad had received a ticket a few years back for walking off site in the town where he lives and just paid it without query as it was true. 2 weeks later he received another one which he was really angry about obviously he wasn't going to be caught out twice in a fortnight - had only been shopping quite legitimately in B&Q on this occasion. He copied them his receipt from B&Q, wrote them a stiff letter and they did actually cancel it straight away.

Good luck to anyone else fighting these PPCs
:j

Comments

• Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excellent advice and well done. Going to the landowner is always the best first move and your case proved it.

Hope you spread the word to your friends about not paying.
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Thanks for that, yes complaining to the landowner and retailers must be done on every occasion. You approached this in the right way, so well done
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Maxtours26, you did exactly the right things - a great example of what a newbie should do with a fake PCN, rather than post 'HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!'

:T

Not only did you complain to the right person about this scam but you also challenged the fake PCN in time as well. So, if the landowner had been useless, you could have then invoked 'Plan B' and won the appeal later at POPLA.

UKCPS would never have cancelled this without the landowner or POPLA telling them they had to!

Your thread is hereby added to this list of complaint successes against any fake PCN scam:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=62837690

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well done Maxtours26 - a shining example of how to do this on a DIY by reading and digesting the CURRENT information on the forum.

Pleased you've sorted this carp from your life.

It was definitely the landowner that brought the hammer down on UKCPS's head. It worked first time - surprising given how thick-necked, knuckle-dragging ex clampers can be very often immune from a bit of cranium tickling :rotfl:
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done!

And thanks for coming back to report your success. The more clear our advice is so that people can 'go it alone' and be successful without asking for help, the less likely it is that we will ever get to find out how clear and successful the advice actually is! So thanks again!

Daisy
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure