IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Do you wear and return clothes to save cash?
Views: 2,602
# 1
MSE Debs
Old 12-08-2013, 4:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanked 3,559 Times in 277 Posts
Default Do you wear and return clothes to save cash?

Poll started 13 Aug 2013

Many big stores, such as M&S, have generous no-fault return policies. Some people use this as a form of free rental – you buy the clothes, wear them once, then return them.

The legality is questionable – it depends on the terms and conditions. Yet with 14-day no-fault returns for internet goods coming into law next year, we want to see how common this behaviour is.

Which one of the options in this week's poll is closest to your situation?

Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below clicking reply to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide .

To see the results from last time, click this.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
liz545
Old 13-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 12,802 Times in 932 Posts

I'll be honest - I did this when I was a student, because the cost of buying a nice outfit to wear to a wedding, after paying for transport and wedding gifts was just totally out of my budget. I spent the whole night being extra careful to make sure the dress didn't get dirty, which kind of made me think it wasn't worth bothering with. The week after I returned the dress, it went into the sale anyway, so if I had bought it, I would have felt very ripped-off! Thankfully now I'm DF and much more able to budget for things like this, but at the time, it was a case of needs must.
2014 comp wins - £290
Recent wins: case of cereal, Kindle, shower gel
Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps!
# 3
matt_66
Old 13-08-2013, 11:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Buying, wearing and returning clothes is something I had never thought of before.

Personally I find it a little weird but each to their own.

It is a serious to be fair
# 4
Herbalus
Old 13-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hope this poll doesn't legitimize it for some people, or make people think they can do it on a regular basis.

Buying something and not liking it/it not fitting when you get home and wear it around the house is one thing, but buying something with the intention of taking it back is akin to borrowing without permission.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Herbalus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
duchy
Old 13-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanked 23,428 Times in 7,341 Posts

I agree -I don't believe it is widespread and it's a bit like the so called moral questions - more a figment of a bored intern at Moneysaving Towers imagination than an issue one way or the other. Honestly apart from students needing a one off outfit I think it's too tacky for most.

Debs if you want to do it - it's a matter for your own consience - please don't ask us to legitimize it for you !!
I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole
[/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
# 6
Lagoon
Old 13-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 2,289 Times in 646 Posts

I would never, ever do this. I think it's terrible.

As it is, I don't buy new clothes often anyway. Maybe five items a year, maximum. If I buy something, it has to last me at least a decade.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lagoon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Gigervamp
Old 13-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanked 13,340 Times in 3,151 Posts

I wouldn't dream of doing it, it's wrong!

I'm surprised and saddened at how many people have admitted to doing it in the poll though.
Living the "good life". Got chickens and ducks.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gigervamp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
MSE Martin
Old 13-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Money Saving Expert

Thanked 41,862 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I agree -I don't believe it is widespread and it's a bit like the so called moral questions - more a figment of a bored intern at Moneysaving Towers imagination than an issue one way or the other. Honestly apart from students needing a one off outfit I think it's too tacky for most.

Debs if you want to do it - it's a matter for your own consience - please don't ask us to legitimize it for you !!

Actually this is my poll not Deb's. And she isn't an intern, she's a fully time member of the team one of whose jobs is putting up the polls (which usually I write).

In fact this isnt some triviality its deliberately looking at a trend issue ahead of next years change in Distance Selling Regulations where the return policy shifts from 7 to 14 days.

Its not meant to condone or legitimise, but it is meant to gather information. With 14% currently saying they do this - that is not an insubstantial number.

Martin
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MSE Martin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
g8rgirl96
Old 13-08-2013, 1:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Buying, wearing and then returning clothes

I understand that some people feel that "needs must" because they were poor students and wanted something new and pretty to wear to a wedding, but this is moral relativism at its worst. We've all been struggling students. Buying something from a store, using it and then pretending you were returning it because you didn't want it is stealing. It's not a victimless crime. It's also gross and selfish. Do you think people don't mind that you got your sweaty genes all over a dress? What an adult does is go to a thrift shop to buy something affordable. They often have brand new clothes available for a song or accessories that will make an old outfit new. Or rent an outfit from a dress shop. If you want something free you could borrow clothes from a friend. Or shop your own closet and use your own accessories in a new way. What an adult doesn't do is steal something under the guise of "borrowing" and then say, "Well I had to do it. I needed something pretty."
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to g8rgirl96 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Lizzy1990
Old 13-08-2013, 3:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rgirl96 View Post
It's also gross and selfish. Do you think people don't mind that you got your sweaty genes all over a dress?
I for one always wash things before wearing them. Even if nobody has actually worn it properly before, there's still a high possibility of someone having tried it on. And you never know where clothes have been on their journey from wherever they've come from!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizzy1990 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
itch for a glitch
Old 13-08-2013, 4:23 PM

Thanked 18,471 Times in 3,740 Posts

I honestly wouldnt do it, makes me wonder whether MSE is representative, one in seven admit to doing it, disgraceful.
"or are you only half as clever as you think you are which is half as clever as I think you are". - Skitler

Porta Vacat Culpa
R94XJH
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itch for a glitch For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
3wisemonks
Old 13-08-2013, 9:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Would never do this myself its just wrong, however, a friends parents buy instore or through catalogues for herself and husband, wear the items once for funeral, weddings etc then return for a refund. Some tags she could remove and put back on, others she would just tuck in.

I find it so very strange, why not spruce up an old outfit or visit a charity shop.
# 13
Salading
Old 14-08-2013, 8:58 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I think the last option is a bit of a leading question. It's true it's morally wrong, but there are other reasons why people don't do this. In my case I don't do it because its chav behavior.

Last edited by Salading; 14-08-2013 at 8:59 AM. Reason: Typo
# 14
Sparhawke
Old 14-08-2013, 9:06 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 2,194 Times in 782 Posts

My mum once used a pair of wellingtons for years and got a refund...how the hell she managed that I will never know

Me personally, I couldn't do it but that is only because the few clothes I ever buy I intend on wearing and they are usually not the kind you can wear once. I get clothes for practicality and warmth more than looks.

The biggest problem with all this though is that women can get away with wearing so much more and they have more choices, when men hire a suit even for a impromptu business meeting it is wedding only or nothing. For example, what if you have just flown in from abroad and your suit gets lost on the way, you have an important business meeting that afternoon yet have no cash for a good suit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Martin View Post
Actually this is my poll not Deb's. And she isn't an intern, she's a fully time member of the team one of whose jobs is putting up the polls (which usually I write).

In fact this isnt some triviality its deliberately looking at a trend issue ahead of next years change in Distance Selling Regulations where the return policy shifts from 7 to 14 days.

Its not meant to condone or legitimise, but it is meant to gather information. With 14% currently saying they do this - that is not an insubstantial number.

Martin
I wouldn't say it is an inconsequential forum filler either, it is a very good question both on financial and ethical grounds.
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Techie, Boost Your Income & Consumer Rights Boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly; I can move and merge posts there. BGs are not moderators and don't read every post. On spotting an inappropriate or illegal post please report to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse or moderate the forums in any other way). Any views are mine and not the official line of MSE
If you cannot explain something in simple terms, you do not understand it
~ Albert Einstein

Last edited by Sparhawke; 14-08-2013 at 9:15 AM.
# 15
janiebquick
Old 14-08-2013, 10:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Do people really do this? That is just GROSS!
The Following User Says Thank You to janiebquick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
GwylimT
Old 14-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 2,599 Times in 945 Posts

The only thing I wear before I decide are shoes, but I wear them in the house and only on carpets for a few hours to see if they are rubbing, comfy etc.
# 17
ScarletBea
Old 14-08-2013, 12:31 PM

Thanked 3,527 Times in 1,492 Posts

This is a really awful thing to do.
I even don't think that you should be able to return non-faulty items at all...
Being brave is going after your dreams head on
# 18
happyinflorida
Old 14-08-2013, 11:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm really shocked at how many people are doing this. It's disgusting - oh yeuck. Now I'm going to look really closely at anything I'm buying new to see if it's got any wear signs at all. I cannot bear the thought of dirty people wearing anything first and yes the people who do this are dirty.
# 19
Own My Own
Old 14-08-2013, 11:02 PM

Thanked 43,052 Times in 4,659 Posts

This is the reason I wash new clothes before we wear them. Bad enough people trying them on, but actually wearing them out then returning them. Yuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanamia View Post
OMO I think we are going to have to rename you Miss Linky you are amazingly organised. Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcja View Post
Kylie's a muppet
# 20
Torry Quine
Old 14-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanked 18,526 Times in 7,860 Posts

I can't ever think of a good reason to do this and I'm shocked that some think it acceptable.
But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law. Gal 4:4

"When the day shall come, that we do part," he said softly, and turned to look at me, "if my last words are not 'I love you'--- ye'll ken it was because I didna have time." (Diana Gabaldon- Fiery Cross)