Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • liz545
    • 13th Aug 13, 11:45 AM
    • 13th Aug 13, 11:45 AM
    I'll be honest - I did this when I was a student, because the cost of buying a nice outfit to wear to a wedding, after paying for transport and wedding gifts was just totally out of my budget. I spent the whole night being extra careful to make sure the dress didn't get dirty, which kind of made me think it wasn't worth bothering with. The week after I returned the dress, it went into the sale anyway, so if I had bought it, I would have felt very ripped-off! Thankfully now I'm DF and much more able to budget for things like this, but at the time, it was a case of needs must.
    2015 comp wins - 370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps!
    • matt_66
    • By matt_66 13th Aug 13, 11:59 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    matt_66
    • 13th Aug 13, 11:59 AM
    • 13th Aug 13, 11:59 AM
    Buying, wearing and returning clothes is something I had never thought of before.

Personally I find it a little weird but each to their own.

It is a serious to be fair
  • Herbalus
    • 13th Aug 13, 12:14 PM
    • 13th Aug 13, 12:14 PM
    Hope this poll doesn't legitimize it for some people, or make people think they can do it on a regular basis.

Buying something and not liking it/it not fitting when you get home and wear it around the house is one thing, but buying something with the intention of taking it back is akin to borrowing without permission.
    • duchy
    • By duchy 13th Aug 13, 12:20 PM
    • 15,127 Posts
    • 36,817 Thanks
    duchy
    • 13th Aug 13, 12:20 PM
    I agree -I don't believe it is widespread and it's a bit like the so called moral questions - more a figment of a bored intern at Moneysaving Towers imagination than an issue one way or the other. Honestly apart from students needing a one off outfit I think it's too tacky for most.

Debs if you want to do it - it's a matter for your own consience - please don't ask us to legitimize it for you !!
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
  • Lagoon
    I would never, ever do this. I think it's terrible.

As it is, I don't buy new clothes often anyway. Maybe five items a year, maximum. If I buy something, it has to last me at least a decade.
  • Gigervamp
    • 13th Aug 13, 12:27 PM
    • 13th Aug 13, 12:27 PM
    I wouldn't dream of doing it, it's wrong!

I'm surprised and saddened at how many people have admitted to doing it in the poll though.
  • MSE Martin
    • 13th Aug 13, 12:29 PM
    • 13th Aug 13, 12:29 PM
    I agree -I don't believe it is widespread and it's a bit like the so called moral questions - more a figment of a bored intern at Moneysaving Towers imagination than an issue one way or the other. Honestly apart from students needing a one off outfit I think it's too tacky for most.

Debs if you want to do it - it's a matter for your own consience - please don't ask us to legitimize it for you !!
    Originally posted by duchy

Actually this is my poll not Deb's. And she isn't an intern, she's a fully time member of the team one of whose jobs is putting up the polls (which usually I write).

In fact this isnt some triviality its deliberately looking at a trend issue ahead of next years change in Distance Selling Regulations where the return policy shifts from 7 to 14 days.

Its not meant to condone or legitimise, but it is meant to gather information. With 14% currently saying they do this - that is not an insubstantial number.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • g8rgirl96
    • 13th Aug 13, 1:02 PM
    Buying, wearing and then returning clothes
    • 13th Aug 13, 1:02 PM
    I understand that some people feel that "needs must" because they were poor students and wanted something new and pretty to wear to a wedding, but this is moral relativism at its worst. We've all been struggling students. Buying something from a store, using it and then pretending you were returning it because you didn't want it is stealing. It's not a victimless crime. It's also gross and selfish. Do you think people don't mind that you got your sweaty genes all over a dress? What an adult does is go to a thrift shop to buy something affordable. They often have brand new clothes available for a song or accessories that will make an old outfit new. Or rent an outfit from a dress shop. If you want something free you could borrow clothes from a friend. Or shop your own closet and use your own accessories in a new way. What an adult doesn't do is steal something under the guise of "borrowing" and then say, "Well I had to do it. I needed something pretty."
  • Lizzy1990
    It's also gross and selfish. Do you think people don't mind that you got your sweaty genes all over a dress?
    Originally posted by g8rgirl96
    I for one always wash things before wearing them. Even if nobody has actually worn it properly before, there's still a high possibility of someone having tried it on. And you never know where clothes have been on their journey from wherever they've come from!
  • itch for a glitch
    I honestly wouldnt do it, makes me wonder whether MSE is representative, one in seven admit to doing it, disgraceful.
    You're all heart, you are, a real charmer.
  • 3wisemonks
    Would never do this myself its just wrong, however, a friends parents buy instore or through catalogues for herself and husband, wear the items once for funeral, weddings etc then return for a refund. Some tags she could remove and put back on, others she would just tuck in.

I find it so very strange, why not spruce up an old outfit or visit a charity shop.
  • Salading
    I think the last option is a bit of a leading question. It's true it's morally wrong, but there are other reasons why people don't do this. In my case I don't do it because its chav behavior.
    Last edited by Salading; 14-08-2013 at 8:59 AM. Reason: Typo
    • Sparhawke
    • By Sparhawke 14th Aug 13, 9:06 AM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 2,269 Thanks
    Sparhawke
    My mum once used a pair of wellingtons for years and got a refund...how the hell she managed that I will never know

Me personally, I couldn't do it but that is only because the few clothes I ever buy I intend on wearing and they are usually not the kind you can wear once. I get clothes for practicality and warmth more than looks.

The biggest problem with all this though is that women can get away with wearing so much more and they have more choices, when men hire a suit even for a impromptu business meeting it is wedding only or nothing. For example, what if you have just flown in from abroad and your suit gets lost on the way, you have an important business meeting that afternoon yet have no cash for a good suit?

Actually this is my poll not Deb's. And she isn't an intern, she's a fully time member of the team one of whose jobs is putting up the polls (which usually I write).

In fact this isnt some triviality its deliberately looking at a trend issue ahead of next years change in Distance Selling Regulations where the return policy shifts from 7 to 14 days.

Its not meant to condone or legitimise, but it is meant to gather information. With 14% currently saying they do this - that is not an insubstantial number.

Martin
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    I wouldn't say it is an inconsequential forum filler either, it is a very good question both on financial and ethical grounds.
    Last edited by Sparhawke; 14-08-2013 at 9:15 AM.
    If you cannot explain something in simple terms, you do not understand it
    ~ Albert Einstein
  • janiebquick
    Do people really do this? That is just GROSS!
  • GwylimT
    The only thing I wear before I decide are shoes, but I wear them in the house and only on carpets for a few hours to see if they are rubbing, comfy etc.
  • ScarletBea
    This is a really awful thing to do.
    I even don't think that you should be able to return non-faulty items at all...
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • happyinflorida
    I'm really shocked at how many people are doing this. It's disgusting - oh yeuck. Now I'm going to look really closely at anything I'm buying new to see if it's got any wear signs at all. I cannot bear the thought of dirty people wearing anything first and yes the people who do this are dirty.
    • Own My Own
    • By Own My Own 14th Aug 13, 11:02 PM
    • 5,525 Posts
    • 45,918 Thanks
    Own My Own
    This is the reason I wash new clothes before we wear them. Bad enough people trying them on, but actually wearing them out then returning them. Yuck.
    OMO I think we are going to have to rename you Miss Linky you are amazingly organised. Thank you
    Originally posted by Nanamia
  • Torry Quine
    I can't ever think of a good reason to do this and I'm shocked that some think it acceptable.
    The greatest love Is Jesus Christ,
    Who died for us Then was raised to life
    He's alive today And lives in our hearts,
    Our debts now all paid To give a new start.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,792Posts Today

7,834Users online

Martin's Twitter