Great British Discounts

Options
Has anyone had any experience with this company, I was thinking of signing up but are the savings worth the monthly fee?

Comments

• GotNoRhythm
    Options
    Hi, :)
    I just read your thread. I signed up to Great British Discounts following an offer via Raileasy (train ticket website), but judging by the problems I'm having with claiming the introductory offer (a free £20 pre-paid Mastercard) I would say AVOID them! The card itself took several weeks to arrive, and having contacted the pre-pay card website, I have been informed that they are awaiting more funds from Great British Discounts before they can credit my card. In the meantime GBD have taken a month's membership from my bank account (my fault for not cancelling it sooner). :eek:
    I've tried contacting GBD directly by email (no response) and by phone (phone-line they listed on welcome letter is dead!!)
    I realise your question was posted a month ago, but I hope I'm not too late! (Maybe at least I can spare other people from the aggro I've had myself!) :mad:
    All this hassle made me wonder if the company is struggling, but I haven't anything from them and can still access my account. The best advice I can offer is don't sign up!

Sarah
    DFW Official Nerd Club #1070
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
  • Cocobelle_2
    Options
    AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!
    I've never known a company like it! They offer a thirty day free trial period, together with a pre-paid MasterCard regardless of whether you continue with the subscription or not. The card will never arrive, and if it does it will not have any credit on it, and they will charge you a subscription fee whether you cancel or not. I have attempted to contact this company via telephone - which is never answered, email - which always bounces, and letter - which goes ignored. After at least twenty attempts to contact this company, I am now taking the matter further and have also contacted the visa disputes department of my bank.
    Perform a simple Google search and you will find many people who have had similar experiences with this scam company!!
  • RockyDave
    Options
    Seems I inadvertently joined simply by clicking a link from another site.
    They have already taken an admin fee!!!
  • I recently joined and paid a small admin charge on the premise that it was a no strings offer and I would receive the cashback regardless of whether I kept the membership.

If only I had read this first then I would have never signed up. They don't answer my questions and keep referring me to some stupid welcoming email which had a claim form of which probably was never sent out in the first place.

I only signed up because I was making a purchase through a firm I've bought stuff from in the past and have never had problems with. After I placed my order I was greeted with the cashback offer which was still displayed via the firms website. This debacle has tarnished any trust I have in this firm and I probably won't use them again. As a result I would rather pay more elsewhere quite happily.

If anyone out there is reading this I can only say I have yet to receive an answer to my original question and I have yet to see my cashback materialise. Plus it might have only cost me 95 pence to sign up, but I would rather have dropped a tenner than give them money.

IMO - dubious! 10 sign ups (0.95 x 10 = 9.95)...
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks so much for this! I just spent £10 online on a well known shopping website (Lookfantastic). After paying I was shown the GBD offer but it had LookFantastic as the heading and as I know LookFantastic is a site I trust, I almost fell for the offer!

I thought I'd give the actual website (read from the address bar rather then as many would assume, the page heading) a quick Google and I now know better! Thanks for saving me from what could have been a big mistake!
  • djlest
    djlest Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Im furious - i did not even confirm the email confirmation to join GBD
    I only confirmed today in a desperate effort to see what on earth my membership is and where these debits (which i never consented to) nor did i recieve any invoices or even a welcome for joining. For the simple fact i was not even a member...

To make matters worse my CC company have given me a late payment fee because i never use the card i never imagined they would steal money unless i actually confirmed my membership.

This website needs shutting down asap!
    Look fantastic is what i purchased too... i will be notifying them aswell.

Transaction dateOrder by Transaction date descending Description Paid in Paid out
    8 Sep 2013 GB DISCOUNTS - £0.95
    10 Oct 2013 GB DISCOUNTS - £14.95
    23 Oct 2013 LATE PAYMENT FEE - £12.00
  • shekharMajhanov
    Options
    Came up on Sportsdirect, felt like a scam, offering me a £10 discount on a recently completed purchase. A quick google search confirmed the scammers.

Will avoid this one.
  • alipallie
    Options
    Hi everyone, just a quick question because I am seriously stressing out!

I stupidly clicked on a link to this company after shopping with sports direct and entered my email address. When they asked for payment info I started to get suspicious and didn't enter any - is it still possible for them to take money from my account? I'd hope that sports direct wouldn't give out my details without permission but after reading this forum I'm pretty worried :(
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Call your bank to block/reverse it.
    ally.
  • Guner2825
    Options
    Do not do it.it is not worth it.
    I have received a ten pound cash back since joining last july so far it has cost me £149 just to get £10 cash back.
    Also I did it through sports direct and I did not know they passed my details onto this company it was only yesterday 11/04/2016 I checked my bank statement and found that they had been taking £14.95 out my account since july 2015.
    I was on the phone today for three hours trying to find out why and cancel it.
    the guy i spoke to had a very strong indian accent and he said his name was Luke Harrington which I found a bit strange. I asked to speak to his lne manager he told em where to go and put the phone down.
    i contactt my bank and put a fraud case through
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport