PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Great British Budget Menu-BBC

Options
Gigervamp
Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 23 July 2013 at 4:37PM in Old style MoneySaving
I just got the BBC food newsletter and saw that there's a one-off show coming up. The blurb on the show can be found here.

I don't normally watch the Great British Menu shows, but this one looks like it could be interesting. The Beeb are also going to be publishing budget recipes.

It's on BBC1 8pm on July 11th.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst I eat simple/comfort food and am good at budgeting there should be more of these programmes alongside the fancy cooking programmes...as I have said before i remember on Food and Drink not so long ago they cooked a budget meal and then suggested drinking an expensive bottle of wine with it. Kind of defeated the reason for the inexpensive meal...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Fluff15
    Fluff15 Posts: 1,440 Forumite
    Options
    I'd like to see this, it's something I'd definitely be watching. I hope they don't factor in things they call cupboard essentials though - things like spices etc are expensive when you're living on a budget. Yes, their cost per use is minimal but when you've got only a small amount to do your shopping per week and it's tight as it is, you don't want to be spending £2+ for a jar of spice you'll only use once in a blue moon!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I too will tune in with interest.

If it entertains, well great. Time well spent. I hope it educates me a bit too ;)
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    Fluff15 wrote: »
    I'd like to see this, it's something I'd definitely be watching. I hope they don't factor in things they call cupboard essentials though - things like spices etc are expensive when you're living on a budget. Yes, their cost per use is minimal but when you've got only a small amount to do your shopping per week and it's tight as it is, you don't want to be spending £2+ for a jar of spice you'll only use once in a blue moon!

Fair point store cupboard items do mount up. However for your interest if you are paying £2 for Schwartz jars then you need to be looking out for packets of rajah at a fraction of the cost.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    Thanks for that, I have just put that on reminder.......... Thursday 11th July at 8pm
    Evidently the chefs are going into people's homes and are having to stick to the family budget and eat the same meals with them.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 July 2013 at 12:22PM
    Options
    It would be more interesting if the chefs had to use what was already in the home, never mind the budget.

I know there is great food to be made from what I've got in but there are times I'm just too tired to figure it out.

My kids thought I was the best when I made KFC chicken bowls. Mashed potatoes, bit of canned corn, couple of breaded chicken strips cut up and smothered the lot with gravy and sprinkled with shredded cheese. Cost a hell of a lot less than what the Kentucky Colonel would have charged!

• Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    It's not just the cost of the food either, where I live there is one small corner shop, the other shops are a car or bus journey away. I'd love to see the chef's cook a healthy cheap meals from the item available from a shop like that.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 July 2013 at 12:22PM
    Options
    I am lucky that my local greengrocers have started to stock small packets of herbs and spices in cellophane pack for 60p a time.not only is it a darn sight cheaper than the Schwartz ones (I put them into individual tiny lock'n'lock boxes)you don't have them going stale or losing their flavour so quickly I used to by the bottled ones but they became far too expensive to warrent buying as used occasionally they would end up out of date before use and the flavour has gone as well I don't normally worry much about dates but herbs and spices I like to be able to smell them and have them smell and taste good.I have seen those big jars in The Range and although they are probably good value I think they would have gone stale by the time I had finished them off.plus they are £4.99 a jar !!!
    No, to me spices and herfbs should be bought in small quantities and used little and often
    I shall watch the programme with interest and hopefully it might help some people to use whats in store and give some fresh ideas for meals

• Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    A series is needed rather than a one off programme for all of the reasons expressed already. To some extent the format is a gimmick.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just heard about the fist of living season on BBC. Do you know what these program's are called or what time they are on? Tried searching on Iplayer for " cost of living" and can't find them.

If you have web links to the programs then that is a great additional help.
    Thanks
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport