IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Would you own up if undercharged?
Views: 5,706
# 1
Former MSE Debs
Old 24-05-2013, 5:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Would you own up if undercharged?

Poll started 28 May 2013

Supermarkets and other shops often get it wrong, whether by giving you too much change or undercharging you. But are you honest when it happens to you, and would you change your mind depending on the store?

Let us know what you do/would do by following the link below to this week's poll:

Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below clicking reply to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide .

To see the results from last time, click this.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Former MSE Debs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
POPPYOSCAR
Old 28-05-2013, 8:25 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If I notice at the time I always say something.

The SAs always look at me as if I am mad although one recently did thank me and say that not many people would have told her.

However, I have to admit that if I look at the receipt later when I get home I do not go back.
The Following User Says Thank You to POPPYOSCAR For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
TheFlyingGerbil
Old 29-05-2013, 12:09 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I don't quite understand why people think it is OK to take the money from big chains? While you may think you are only taking money from a big faceless corporation and they won't notice the comparatively small amount (neither of these are valid excuses, BTW!) what about the cashier who may get into trouble?

That could be your son or daughter, not a giant anonymous entity. I work for a large retailer and customers often give me too much money - I give it straight back and would hope they'd do me the same courtesy if I made a mistake that they obviously easily make themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlyingGerbil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Biggles
Old 29-05-2013, 9:29 AM

I've just worked out that clicking on an option in the email (which then brings up the poll results) isn't registering a vote. As it now brings up the current results, I had been assuming my vote had been counted - why else would you be asked, in the email, to click on one of the options??

Clicking in the email used to bring up the poll with option boxes ready to tick.

Now it brings up the current results (ie you can see the current state of play before you vote, which is never a good idea if you are trying to achieve an unbiased poll) and you then have to click on the 'Vote in this poll' button to bring up the boxes ready to tick.

This change is confusing, misleading and, surely, biasing voters before their vote by showing them the most popular options.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Brian Steele
Old 29-05-2013, 10:20 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Theft is theft, whether it was by their mistake or not. If you notice it you should return it. After all, if they overcharged you, would you not complain? Obviously the scale is important: if it is just a few pence I might not complain in a busy store as it is more trouble than it is worth, but I have always made a point of returning over-changing and have had cashiers very surprised at my honesty. To me it's second nature, so I cannot understand their surprise.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brian Steele For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
itch for a glitch
Old 29-05-2013, 10:35 AM

I expect to be charged correctly. I'd stand my ground if I was overcharged, so I would ensure I was charged correctly.
I'd hate to think of a checkout op getting into bother for me to be a few quid better off.
"or are you only half as clever as you think you are which is half as clever as I think you are". - Skitler

Porta Vacat Culpa
R94XJH
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itch for a glitch For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
walvert
Old 29-05-2013, 12:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

As an 88 year old I am very pleasantly surprised to see that moral values are higher than we are often led to believe.
Walvert
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to walvert For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
alanq
Old 29-05-2013, 1:24 PM

I check my change at the till and if given too much I say so.

If the computer says that the price of an item is less than what I saw on the shelf I assume that the price on the shelf is wrong and do not query it. However, if the assistant misses an item or enters a price that I know is incorrect I point it out.
# 9
towton2
Old 29-05-2013, 3:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Pay back time

Ever since I lost a money filled pay packet with my name on at my work and no-one handed it in I have said 'what I find I keep'. Morally wrong I agree but these occurences balance up over time.
# 10
TBagpuss
Old 29-05-2013, 7:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If I notice, I'll point it out and give it back. I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping it.
# 11
sweetpea26
Old 29-05-2013, 9:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Two of my children have worked in supermarkets and at times have had their wages reduced because of mistakes. I would make sure to point out to the assistant that I had received too much. They always are very appreciative of me doing so.

Now if it was one of the self service machines I might not be so forthright...hasn't happened yet
October Grocery Challenge £/£450
# 12
Angry Bear
Old 29-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I always do, and if I notice something like an item missing on a restaurant bill I'll always tell the waiter - it often confuses them (what, you want us to charge you more?!)

My OH tries to tell me off, but I remind him that I would certainly complain if I was overcharged/shortchanged.
Pounds lost: 90/118 (76%)
The Following User Says Thank You to Angry Bear For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
jon81uk
Old 30-05-2013, 11:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

If the change is incorrect and I notice right at the till then I would say something, but if I don't notice until I have left the shop then I feel it is too late, same goes for if I am given too little change as well as too much.
If the price scans lower than expected then I assume the till is correct, prices often change and I would expect the till to be correct.
# 14
Fred56
Old 30-05-2013, 11:53 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I always own up and get it straight. Only right is right.and failing to pay is dishonest.
Also I used to work for a big retailer - a dodgy shoe shop chain, you all know them, they go bust regularly. When the till is wrong everyone falls under suspicion and the employers can be really nasty about it. A customer deliberately keeping the money when a mistake is made could cost someone their job.
# 15
anotheruser
Old 31-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

No.

It's rare that it happens; last time the lady scanned one bowl when I had two - would have cost an extra 50p. Same with orange juice, she forgot to scan two so I had two free.

However after paying hundreds, probably into the thousands for food and supermarket items over the year (I am totalling up this year to see how much I do spend), I don't feel too bad.

I balance it out with sending back post which isn't addressed to me and other such things.

Last edited by anotheruser; 31-05-2013 at 12:30 PM.
# 16
Gordon the Moron
Old 31-05-2013, 6:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If I am given too much change I would own up regardless of whether it is a small or large retailer, you could cost an employee their job. If I realised later I would ring up and take it back next time I went in. Doesn't really apply to me though as I always use a cashback credit card.

If they mistakenly didn't scan something at the supermarket I'd not bother going back, they rip us off enough with dodgy offers and other underhand tactics I wouldn't feel bad and the operator wouldn't get in trouble as they wouldn't know who it was.
If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gordon the Moron For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Valli
Old 31-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Location: In a little cloud of optimism, playing the 'Glad Game' - Feel free to join in!

When I worked at the bingo (on booksales) a customer once came running to find me in the foyer, after I had been selling 'lates' (tickets for the last session, started just after 9pm) because I had given her £10 too much change.

Have never forgotten - got me out of trouble.

I have told sales assistants I have been given too much change (when I have) because I wouldn't hesitate to point out if I had been short changed!
Make two - and freeze one!
Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!

Roadkill Rebel #97 - April 10p May 5p June 25p July 5 Euro note and then some!
# 18
SouthernEM
Old 01-06-2013, 5:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default No Thanks for Honesty

When I have been given too much change or undercharged in supermarkets, I have always been treated as if it was my fault. Till persons and their supervisors are not interested in you highlighting their mistakes and then holding up the queue.
It is different in a small establishment, when they are working with their own money, or in a bank, post office where the tills must add up or no one goes home.
That is to say that if the mistake was big - notes not coins, then I would make the effort, if nothing else for my own conscience. But again, no one likes you highlighting their mistake. You need to be graceful and make a polite comment, for example, the notes got stuck together, or we were talking and got distracted. Help them save face.
# 19
jazmad
Old 03-06-2013, 7:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sorry to pick on this post in particular, but your logic is similar to "I rob banks, but I balance this out by not stealing cars".

The fact you have spent lots in supermarkets over the year doesn't really come into it, as you have also received lots of goods in return.

Also, for people thinking "it's ok from a big, faceless company" - these companies are also owned by people and in the case of shareholders many of whom are not mega rich people but pension scheme members. The fact they are larger just means they will get more people stealing from them.

I think its a matter of personal views whether to own up or not, but its inconsistent to treat different size stores differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
No.

It's rare that it happens; last time the lady scanned one bowl when I had two - would have cost an extra 50p. Same with orange juice, she forgot to scan two so I had two free.

However after paying hundreds, probably into the thousands for food and supermarket items over the year (I am totalling up this year to see how much I do spend), I don't feel too bad.

I balance it out with sending back post which isn't addressed to me and other such things.
# 20
miss scrooge
Old 04-06-2013, 1:16 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I don't usually say anything when I'm undercharged I usually think what can I spend this extra money on usually only undercharged by a few pence.Also sometimes only notice when I'm out shop or at home.It's their mistake they should notice if they have undercharged.I've been given 27 pound back in change once my shopping came to 3 pound and paid with vouchers.Told her straight away.The thing is that change was more then I had in my purse :0)
Prizes I've won 2014 :
Sep-4 prizes
Oct-crisps and dips,i tunes
U X Y Z
£2014/£538.48