Real-life MMD: Should friend with points on his licence pay more for car insurance?

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 28 May 2013 at 6:26PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Should my friend with points on his licence pay more for temporary car insurance?

A friend and I are going camping in a few weeks and have decided to share the driving using my car. Problem is, my friend has points on his licence so adding him temporarily to my insurance will cost more than if he had a clean licence. Without the points, I'd have happily gone half and half. Should he pay the lion's share?
Click 'reply' to have your say

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

Previous MMDs:

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• lauh88
    lauh88 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I added a driver on to my insurance they told me how much extra it would cost. Surely the additional driver would pay the extra amount on top of your usual premium?

E.G. If your normal premium is £500, and it costs £50 to add this driver on for 30 days, the other driver should pay the £50 (made up figures obviously!).
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lauh88 wrote: »
    When I added a driver on to my insurance they told me how much extra it would cost. Surely the additional driver would pay the extra amount on top of your usual premium?

In principle I agree with this ^^^ as a starting point.

In practice, it really depends on the situation, how much you want his company, and whether there are any financial considerations (eg let's say he is unemployed and would struggle to pay the extra insurance as well as his share of the petrol, whereas you are well paid but feel he should pay his way).

What I would say is that living in a tent, even for a short while, can be very 'cozy' so whatever you decide, it would be best to communicate with him sooner rather than later as bad feelings on either side could ruin the holiday.

Just an after thought - would it be cheaper for him to take the train or bus and meet you there, while you take the tent etc in the car. Sounds ridiculous but if money is the issue....
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Options
    Who decided that you should share the driving? If you want him to share the driving, then I think half each of the extra money sounds fair. If he wants to share the driving i.e. because he doesn't like your driving and you would otherwise be willing to do all the driving then it's fine that he pays it all.

I do agree that a camping holiday can be very cosy, especially if you have bad weather which could quite easily happen so if you can't talk and negotiate about this, I hope you can on what you will do on a wet day, especially since you will only have one car.
  • pennypinchUK
    pennypinchUK Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    The answer to this "dilemma" is very simple. Your friend has points on his licence for a reason. He has been caught driving/attempting to drive, etc. against the law. So he is a higher insurance risk. And he will know it, as he certainly will be paying more for his insurance. So he should man-up and pay more.

Otherwise, you're simply subsidising his poor driving record.
  • mermaid85
    mermaid85 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    I'd just do all the driving, but I don't like to share my car anyway - if someone else crashed it, on my insurance, I'm still the one liable for the excess and that would have to reclaim it from them, so I would prefer to be responsible for it all myself.
  • Emerlist
    Options
    And the extra premium would be less if he was older, or female.
    Man up, and accept that your friend is what he is. You cannot be selective in which parts of him you accept. If he had a medical condition that increased the premium, would you tell him that was his problem.
  • oldtrout
    oldtrout Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    mermaid85 wrote: »
    I'd just do all the driving, but I don't like to share my car anyway - if someone else crashed it, on my insurance, I'm still the one liable for the excess and that would have to reclaim it from them, so I would prefer to be responsible for it all myself.

That's a very good point actually ... if there was a claim, who would pay the excess. The cost of the insurance isn't the only cost to consider.
  • cazpost
    cazpost Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    If it is important to share the driving then I would say that the cost of insurance is part of the total cost of the holiday and should be shared equally.
    My late husband and I used to go on holiday with a group of friends. My husband and one of the others both had serious health issues,but we had travel insurance for the whole group and shared the cost equally even though the premium was higher because of them.
    If you are going to be niggled about this before you even go on the holiday maybe you need to reconsider the whole idea
  • Pooleboy
    Options
    Have you checked your policy carefully already? Only fully comp. policies will usually cover unnamed drivers TPF&T, so you might already have the cover.
    And as for the excess in the event of a claim, defo agree on who pays that if it should arise!
  • Cimscate
    Cimscate Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you're good enough friends to go camping together I think you just have to grin and bear it and it comes out of the kitty. Can't you go in your friends car instead and add you onto that......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure