🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Great 'Single MoneySaving' Hunt Revisited

Options

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Being a singleton is especially good for experimenting in moneysaving ways.
    If it doesn't work, no trouble for anyone except yourself to stop, or change or start something else.
    Best to have a goodfriend, or someone to talk thru problems. I lost a pal last year, knew him for 40 years. Great chap but couldn't live in the same house, a compulsive cleaner.
  • the_bard_2
    Options
    For singles holidays try Justyou. They cater solely for singles and offer a very wide range of holidays and world-wide. It is NOT a dating-type holiday. Everyone else in the group is in exactly the same position and all mix well. I have just booked my 9th holiday with them!

I have also heard that Solos is good but do not have personal experience.
  • dr_bluestone
    Options
    A moneysaving benefit for me is not having to do a 'Weekly Shop'. I'm fortunate to live and work near a M&S outlet, so i tend to visit near the end of the day to pick up the 'Yellow ticket' items for my tea and the following day's lunch ... quality food at a discount!
    The downside is i have to watch that I don't over indulge when 5 cakes are bagged up for 50p!
  • Blue_Babe
    Blue_Babe Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hate camp sites charging pitch fees that "Include 2 people". I'm tempted to use twice the water and bring rubbish from home to make it fair lol

I'm technically single but the kids won't leave home, so running the house is costing lots but choosing what I do and when is up to me :)
  • ever-hopeful
    ever-hopeful Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 April 2013 at 3:19PM
    Options
    SueC wrote: »
    Worst thing about being single... discovering all those "friends" who no longer have time for you now you're no longer part of a couple.

It seems there are some people who view being single as some kind of contagious disease instead of the incredibly liberating experience it really is!
    Even worse is when they can't believe you are fine as you are, and that their way is the only way. And you WILL follow it!
  • ever-hopeful
    Options
    the_bard wrote: »
    For singles holidays try Justyou. They cater solely for singles and offer a very wide range of holidays and world-wide. It is NOT a dating-type holiday. Everyone else in the group is in exactly the same position and all mix well. I have just booked my 9th holiday with them!

I have also heard that Solos is good but do not have personal experience.
    Maybe I was unlucky then - I tried them once but it was nearly all couples, friends or related people, and none of them seemed to realise its purpose. The woman I sat with had had the same experience before. The holiday was fine, though. Reduced finances mean I book (and travel) independently now, but I must admit I rather like it that way
  • SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Even worse is when they can't believe you are fine as you are, and that their way is the only way. And you WILL follow it!

Ah, that's when I roll out:

"Look, I appreciate that you believe you would be unhappy living my life, and I have no issue with that - each to their own after all. But for you to tell me you think I should be unhappy is, frankly, quite rude".
  • originalkat
    originalkat Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    The main disadvantage of being single for me is the extra costs for holidays and days out that assume you should be part of a couple.

I agree with the previous post that Travelodge type hotels usually work out cheapest for one person especially as I take advantage of the special rates (thanks Martin for the advance notice) and usually stay for £12-£19. My next choice is YHA, not for everyone as it is dorm accommodation but costs about the same as I pay for Travelodge. In the last couple of years I have stayed in hostels in Canada, Australia and England and had a great time meeting a lot of interesting people. Age isn't a barrier, I am 57 and the oldest people I have met in hostels were almost 90 and no-one batted an eyelid when they walked in, mind you that was in Australia and they are more adventurous than us brits

I would love to take a cruise but that is definitely one for couples. i object to paying for two people when there is just me and the companies that offer small single cabins never seem to charge 50% less. if anyone knows different i would be happy to hear about it. Of course they often suggest they pair you up with a same sex sharer so you can benefit from the couple's price... they must be joking, it was bad enough having to share a room with a husband but a stranger and possibly stuck with them for 2 weeks!!!!!:rotfl:

Last minute cruise deals offer huge reductions but I can't understand why they don't offer them to single people, surely it is better to have the money from one person than an empty cabin? Would make a good last minute website if all the cruise companies joined in to offer their empty cabins to singles, perhaps they do and it isn't well known?

And the two-for-one deals drive me nuts, just let me have 50% off please.

Advantages of being single? I agree with all the previous suggestions and would add spending as long as you like in the bathroom without someone asking how long you plan to be in there, always makes me want to take my time, selfish I know, perhaps that's why I'm single:j
  • Ginger_Nut
    Ginger_Nut Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    I love being single was married still waiting for the paper work 4 years down the line.
    But if i wanted to work over time I don't have to explain why I was late and why the dinner wasn't on the table for 6pm dead on
    The bed is great I share it with my cats and they don't get up in the middle of the night and wake me up no making cuppas i don't drink tea or coffee
    I now have friends I wasn't allowed but he was, I wasn't allowed to see my family he cut me off from them I'm still working at building bridges with my younger sister
    I don't miss any thing about my old life I am happy being single and plain to keep it like that. just me and my cats x
    Don't forget you can donate 24 Felix tokens to help feed a cats protection cat/kitten that's in care
    their are loads of cats/kittens awaiting there forever home
    don't forget the the oldies who are just as much fun

Dropping a brand going great :D thanks Martin and team
  • Dollie21
    Dollie21 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    There are cruises where you don't have to pay the earth for a single supplement. MSC cruises are very good for singles (sometimes NO supplement!) and also Fred Olsen have single cabins with low supplements.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport