Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    girlscout666
    Trouble claiming ppi back from a company called 'credit plus'
    • 22nd Feb 13, 4:36 PM
    Trouble claiming ppi back from a company called 'credit plus' 22nd Feb 13 at 4:36 PM
    So,

back in 2007 I used a car finance broker called Credit Plus.

The mis - sold me PPI and basically guilted me into taking it by taking advantage of me as a young 20 yr old buying her first car and telling me that there could be a chance my finance wouldn't be approved unless I took it out.

I totally forgot about the PPI until a couple of month until the end of my loan (in 2010) and I lost my job. When ringing credit plus to tell them this and ask if I could arrange a payment plan, the lady advised me that I had PPI! I asked then if I could make use of it and she said no. I had to of been out of work for 3 or 4 months or more. Useless anyway!

Anyway, about 2 years ago now I sought the help of a solicitors to help me claim back this PPI. We estimated I am owed about £1k

The whole process has gone on, and on, and on, and on being passed from pillar to post, between the brokers who sold me the PPI and the actual creditors (who actually have nothing to do with the PPI element of the finance). Now, after 2 whole years finally, someone at Credit Plus has responded to my solicitors and flat out LIED and claimed that they don't, nor have they EVER sold PPI with car finance. - This, is quite clearly utter rubbish and I am shocked an appalled that they are actually lying. Not only do they currently have the option to take out PPI on their loan application page on their site (which wouldn't be there if they claim that they don't offer PPI) but I know 150% I WAS mis-sold PPI back in 2007 with my car finance.

Throughout this entire process, I was also shocked to hear that my solicitors have never actually requested my original agreement documents to prove otherwise!! It's madness! I have now taken it upon myself to request my original agreement papers as the solicitors have said that without that, they can do no more for me.

I am fuming, to say the least. I have sent a couple of emails now to request my original agreement as apparently the 'only man who deals with this' is on annual leave fora week. Probably utter tosh as well.

I know full well that I was sold PPI, but I am now terrified that when (or IF) they eventually agree to send me my original documents, that they might tamper with them to remove the evidence... is this possible?!! The company are clearly total liars and I wouldn't put it past them!

Has anyone else had dealings with Credit Plus when trying to claim back PPI?!

Thanks in advance,
    Jess
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 22nd Feb 13, 8:20 PM
    • 6,468 Posts
    • 3,733 Thanks
    -taff
    • 22nd Feb 13, 8:20 PM
    • 22nd Feb 13, 8:20 PM
    I suggest you read this befoe you start fuming more to see where you went wrong. You cannot ask for your original agreement if the account is closed.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance
  • _Andy_
    • 22nd Feb 13, 9:13 PM
    • 22nd Feb 13, 9:13 PM
    "but I know 150% "

uggh
    • amersall
    • By amersall 23rd Feb 13, 11:07 AM
    • 16,478 Posts
    • 18,510 Thanks
    amersall
    • 23rd Feb 13, 11:07 AM
    • 23rd Feb 13, 11:07 AM
    The cost of your solicitor may outweigh any redress for PPI that you may have had, was it a no win no fee basis?.

Did you actually use this company for a loan or did you buy the car from a dealer?.

• girlscout666
    • 24th Feb 13, 11:20 PM
    • 24th Feb 13, 11:20 PM
    "but I know 150% "

uggh
    Originally posted by _Andy_
    No need to be quite so condescending and rude. I DO know full well that I was sold PPI with this car finance.

In answer to other questions, Yes I did take out finance with this broker. And to whoever said I can't get documentation, it seems I can - the solicitors haven't told me I can't and the people I have spoken to so far at the brokers haven't said it'll be an issue, but just need to speak to the correct person.

I am not paying the solicitors anything. It's no win no fee and they will take 15%

Anyway. thanks.
  • girlscout666
    • 24th Feb 13, 11:26 PM
    • 24th Feb 13, 11:26 PM
    I suggest you read this befoe you start fuming more to see where you went wrong. You cannot ask for your original agreement if the account is closed.
    Originally posted by -taff
    I've just read through this and it doesn't state that you can't get your paperwork if the account it closed at all. So don't know where you got that from?! It says:

Closed account? You can ask for a full breakdown of your whole account, specifically including the insurance. If it takes longer than 40 days, report it to the Information CommissionerThis can cost £10 so you could include a £10 cheque (not cash).
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 25th Feb 13, 1:42 AM
    • 17,246 Posts
    • 7,785 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 25th Feb 13, 1:42 AM
    • 25th Feb 13, 1:42 AM
    I've just read through this and it doesn't state that you can't get your paperwork if the account it closed at all. So don't know where you got that from?!
    Originally posted by girlscout666
    He got it from the article which you helpfully quoted.

In order to get a "full breakdown" , you'll need to submit a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter for £10. . So, as -taff said, "you cannot request your original agreement if the account is closed".

So best to stop "fuming" and write that £10 cheque.
    • amersall
    • By amersall 25th Feb 13, 7:51 AM
    • 16,478 Posts
    • 18,510 Thanks
    amersall
    • 25th Feb 13, 7:51 AM
    • 25th Feb 13, 7:51 AM
    My question was not answered.
    Did you get the car from a dealer or did you get the loan from a broker and then bought the car?.

If you got the car from the dealer, these are who you put the claim into.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 25th Feb 13, 9:15 AM
    • 17,246 Posts
    • 7,785 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 25th Feb 13, 9:15 AM
    • 25th Feb 13, 9:15 AM

I am not paying the solicitors anything. It's no win no fee and they will take 15%
    So, in other words, you are paying the solicitors 15% of any redress you win!

You do realise that you could have complained for free (apart, perhaps, from the £10 for a SAR)?

Do also note that even a SAR won't net you the original agreement you sought because the account is closed.
    Originally posted by amersall
    A competent solicitor would know this already, of course
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 25-02-2013 at 9:24 AM.
  • girlscout666
    My question was not answered.
    Did you get the car from a dealer or did you get the loan from a broker and then bought the car?.

Originally posted by amersall
    No, I got finance through the broker, NOT a dealer. The brokers also sourced the car for me.

Ok, well thanks for your answers. I will write a £10 cheque then and ask for a full breakdown of my agreement.
  • girlscout666
    So, in other words, you are paying the solicitors 15% of any redress you win!

You do realise that you could have complained for free (apart, perhaps, from the £10 for a SAR)?

Do also note that even a SAR won't net you the original agreement you sought because the account is closed.

A competent solicitor would know this already, of course
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Thanks, but I wasn't confident enough to do it alone as I am not clued up on these matters. There's no need to be so patronizing. I only asked for help from a solicitors as these particular ones were recommended to me and only take 15% rather than 20% as a lot do.

Now that I have some more info on what to do, and (clearly, the solicitors aren't as good as I was told they were!) I probably will go it alone.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 25th Feb 13, 10:03 AM
    • 17,246 Posts
    • 7,785 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Thanks, but I wasn't confident enough to do it alone as I am not clued up on these matters. There's no need to be so patronizing. I only asked for help from a solicitors as these particular ones were recommended to me and only take 15% rather than 20% as a lot do.
    Be sure to write to your solicitors telling them you no longer want them to represent you in this matter.
    A PPI complaint should take only about two months to complete, two years is unacceptable.

Don't be surprised if the solicitor charges you for work already done though.
    Sorry if this answer appears patronising..
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 25th Feb 13, 11:20 AM
    • 9,133 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    Be sure to write to your solicitors telling them you no longer want them to represent you in this matter.
    A PPI complaint should take only about two months to complete, two years is unacceptable.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Agreed

Don't be surprised if the solicitor charges you for work already done though.
    But could probably be responded to with a complaint that they were incompetent.
    • dazza12
    • By dazza12 25th Feb 13, 4:52 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 6,825 Thanks
    dazza12
    I've used Creditplus myself, twice in the past. They are both a broker and a dealer - they arrange the credit via companies like Santander and Advantage Finance, and also source the car for you.

It's worth waiting until you have the SAR before moving further on this. Sometimes Creditplus arrange the insurances (GAP, PPI, Mechanical cover etc) and sometimes the loan company does. This may also be why you're having trouble getting the right information - it may be with the loan company itself.
    Competition wins:
    2010 - approx £450. 2011 - approx £800. 2012 - approx £300. 2013 - nothing so far!
  • girlscout666
    I've used Creditplus myself, twice in the past. They are both a broker and a dealer - they arrange the credit via companies like Santander and Advantage Finance, and also source the car for you.

It's worth waiting until you have the SAR before moving further on this. Sometimes Creditplus arrange the insurances (GAP, PPI, Mechanical cover etc) and sometimes the loan company does. This may also be why you're having trouble getting the right information - it may be with the loan company itself.
    Originally posted by dazza12
    Finally! Someone who has dealt with these guys.

Thanks for your message - I have asked with the actual creditors (they were a company called British Credit Trust) they've assured me that it wasn't them to added the PPI, and that it most certainly was Credit Plus. Solicitors have dealt with both companies and have always ended up back at Credit Plus.

Thanks very much, I shall put aside £10 and ask for a full breakdown of my agreement which (should!) outline the PPI that was included in my loan.

Jess
  • chadar
    Creditplus are a bunch of crooks!
    I am going through the same ordeal with Creditplus, since June 2012.
    They seem like a bunch of crooks. They keep on referring me to their compliance team that seems not to exist.
    The FSA needs to review and fine them for purporting to be FSA regulated, but in fact have being strucked off their list.
    I have received more info from their Administrator (PCF) and proof of agreement that confirms their brokage affiliation at the time I took out my car finance.
  • chadar
    Hi,
    Have you got any feedback about your PPI claim from Creditplus - Whichdeal Limited?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd Jan 14, 11:57 PM
    • 17,246 Posts
    • 7,785 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Hi,
    Have you got any feedback about your PPI claim from Creditplus - Whichdeal Limited?
    Originally posted by chadar
    The Op of this thread last logged in to this site two months prior to your first post in this thread which itself was almost six months ago. Now, as then, I doubt you'll get a response;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/member.php?u=1184975
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,428Posts Today

5,625Users online

Martin's Twitter