Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Green & Ethical MoneySaving > Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation&quo... (Page 134)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"
Views: 339,506
# 2661
shafeeq
Old 24-02-2013, 6:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

1.92 kwh today. ....
From Sheffield. 3kwp YingLi Panda Series Solar Panels with SMA 3000-20 TL Inverter
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shafeeq For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2662
Oscargrouch
Old 24-02-2013, 7:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafeeq View Post
1.92 kwh today. ....
Did me again
1.2 kWh today; 0.16kWp less than he that shall remain name less
2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. Aurora Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. Northants. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters" .

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV system)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oscargrouch For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2663
k66
Old 24-02-2013, 8:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi all, 3.448 kWh for us today, had a weekend away from home and missed watching Sunny Beam.
Dug out the travel kettle to use whilst generation is low, every little (saving) helps.
Cheshire 4 kwp SSEfacing, 28 Deg
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to k66 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2664
legoman62
Old 24-02-2013, 9:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

2.02kWh for me.
Sun came out at 16.00 for a while
Far too late for my panels....they were just starting to doze off
E. Coast. 16 x 250W Sanyo Hit250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW facing roof. 28 pitch. No shade.
Nov 2011 install
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to legoman62 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2665
Martyn1981
Old 24-02-2013, 9:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hiya boys and girls. Haven't posted results for a while. Been sulking - lots of days with sun forecast for each and every hour, but all came and went with about 1/3 of expected generation (no surprises there, will join Eric for a sulk and a moan about forecasts). At least it's been dry.

So below average days most of last week, and estimate for month has slipped down to 104%, but still good, fingers crossed for last 4 days.

Mart.
Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (2.4 ESE & 1.18 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Martyn1981 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2666
InVestor
Old 24-02-2013, 9:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

1.5 kWh today.

Thank God for Oscargrouch.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to InVestor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2667
EricMears
Old 24-02-2013, 9:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn1981 View Post
(no surprises there, will join Eric for a sulk and a moan about forecasts). At least it's been dry.
Mart.
I don't usually 'sulk' about weather forecasts - just like to muse about their errors (which I guess could be seen as moaning).

It's actually been dry now for a couple of weeks (I'm just as obsessed with monitoring water levels in my tanks as I am generation).

I'm not one of those people who blame the forecasters for 'giving' us undesirable weather (not that I'm suggesting anyone else here is); I'd just like to think that with all the cash spent on generating forecasts it's quite reasonable to expect a reasonable degree of accuracy.

Today's generation was 3.76 kWh (passing my ISA test) and month to date figures extrapolated to month end suggest I can expect 93.5% of my (recently revised) PVGIS 'entitlement for Feb - but even that is well over twice the ISA cost.
N Derbyshire.
4kwp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EricMears For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2668
Martyn1981
Old 24-02-2013, 10:22 PM

Hiya Eric, actually I'm with you on that. I'm moaning about the fact that they don't seem able (through no fault of their own) to give accurate forecasts anymore.

Till late 2011 I could guesstimate generation for a week ahead from the forecast, then replace with actual generation. The forecasts were pretty damn close.

Now I'm generating 3 on days I expect 15, and vice versa. Ho hum.

BTW 'joining you for a sulk and a moan' was a laugh at my expense, not yours.

Mart.
Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (2.4 ESE & 1.18 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martyn1981 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2669
InVestor
Old 24-02-2013, 10:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17100224

Guess that ZX Spectrum has run it's course.

Forecasting has seemed more off than usual the last 18 months or so..any conspiracy theories?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InVestor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2670
John_Pierpoint
Old 25-02-2013, 1:40 AM

Default Weekly results - Grey drying weather from Poland via the N.Sea

3.6 kWp inverter North side of Thames estuary facing SE on 30 degree roof:

kWh
10.31 18/02 Monday
14.57 19/02 Tuesday
03.61 20/02 Wednesday
01.97 21/02 Thursday
02.03 22/02 Friday
03.99 23/02 Saturday
01.36 24/02 Sunday

Tuesday was a perfect day, by chance so was the 19th February last year; however last year's reading was 15.01- I wonder if the drop in performance is significant.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John_Pierpoint For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2671
edwink
Old 25-02-2013, 11:44 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Got our final fit payment for the year this morning. Sent fit reading by e-mail to Eon on 17th, at end of day. Money was in bank this morning 8 days.

Total generation for the year is 1822kWh.
Total payments 849.79

After a really bad start with the pv panels because of installation hold ups and the fact that we have had the inverter changed. Firstly was going to have 2 x 1200 Sunny Boy inverters. These were not installed as electrician said they where wrong for our system. Had to have another one delivered this was a Sunny Boy 2400 and have electrician come back to wire up. Several weeks later this was changed to one Sunny boy 1200 inverter and 2 x 600 Steccas because of having the panels installed on 2 different levels and shading issues. The whole installation took around 2 weeks before we were up and running properly. We have quite a lot of shading issues over the winter period so all in all we think the generation figure was not too bad for us.

849.79 Fit payments for one year

192.00 Electricity payments 12 x 16.00
000.00 Gas turned off
192.00 Water (metered)
145.50 TV licence
299.00 Buildings and contents insurance

828.50 Total
21.29 left over

Just to explain regarding no gas usage and very low electricity use. Gas supply turned off because we have a multi fuel burning stove in living room which supplies hot water and heats 10 radiators. Also have a wood burning cooker so electricity useage is very low. We have low wattage bulbs all over the house, even in the understairs cuboard and in the loft. No dishwasher and only have the washing machine on twice a week (average).

During the summer months we use a small portable cooker with oven/grill and 2 rings or a slow cooker for cooking. This uses the electricity generated by the solars.

So all in all we are very pleased with the income the solars have generated. As posted they have covered all our bills except the Council Tax and our car.

Edwink
2.4KWp PV system, south facing, Hertfordshire rainforest. Tree shading all winter Have 8 ducks, 18 hens and one handsome cockerel. It's a good life!!!

Last edited by edwink; 25-02-2013 at 3:14 PM. Reason: Changed Building and Contents Insurance cost
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to edwink For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2672
Oscargrouch
Old 25-02-2013, 1:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwink View Post

So all in all we are very pleased with the income the solars have generated. As posted they have covered all our bills except the Council Tax and our car.

Edwink
Well done Edwink, weather forecast is bad; great to hear some good news, excellent !
2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. Aurora Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. Northants. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters" .

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV system)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oscargrouch For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2673
tunnel
Old 25-02-2013, 2:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwink View Post
Got our final fit payment for the year this morning. Sent fit reading by e-mail to Eon on 17th, at end of day. Money was in bank this morning 8 days.

Total generation for the year is 1822kWh.
Total payments 849.79

After a really bad start with the pv panels because of installation hold ups and the fact that we have had the inverter changed. Firstly was going to have 2 x 1200 Sunny Boy inverters. These were not installed as electrician said they where wrong for our system. Had to have another one delivered this was a Sunny Boy 2400 and have electrician come back to wire up. Several weeks later this was changed to one Sunny boy 1200 inverter and 2 x 600 Steccas because of having the panels installed on 2 different levels and shading issues. The whole installation took around 2 weeks before we were up and running properly. We have quite a lot of shading issues over the winter period so all in all we think the generation figure was not too bad for us.

849.79 Fit payments for one year

192.00 Electricity payments 12 x 16.00
000.00 Gas turned off
192.00 Water (metered)
145.50 TV licence
304.98 Buildings and contents insurance

834.48 Total
15.31 left over

Just to explain regarding no gas usage and very low electricity use. Gas supply turned off because we have a multi fuel burning stove in living room which supplies hot water and heats 10 radiators. Also have a wood burning cooker so electricity useage is very low. We have low wattage bulbs all over the house, even in the understairs cuboard and in the loft. No dishwasher and only have the washing machine on twice a week (average).

During the summer months we use a small portable cooker with oven/grill and 2 rings or a slow cooker for cooking. This uses the electricity generated by the solars.

Edwink
Wow,that insurance seems a bit on the high side. Can't say i've paid more than 120-150 a year for both B & C insurance on a 3 bed detatched. Even got my brothers down to 160 on a 4 bed det. Please tell me you don't just renew with your existing insurer? I thought you were doing REALLY well with your bills till i saw that.

Tunnel
2 kWp ESE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp WNW.....in sunny North Derbyshire
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tunnel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2674
Oscargrouch
Old 25-02-2013, 2:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel View Post
Wow,that insurance seems a bit on the high side. Can't say i've paid more than 120-150 a year for both B & C insurance on a 3 bed detatched. Even got my brothers down to 160 on a 4 bed det. Please tell me you don't just renew with your existing insurer? I thought you were doing REALLY well with your bills till i saw that.

Tunnel
I pay more than Ed for a 4 bed det. I can get it cheaper but choose to use one that I know from experience pays up without hassle. Also included are PV panels, very low excess and, when I go on Holiday all I need is health cover as all other items are covered on House Policy. Much prefer to know I have good insurance rather than find I am paying for hassle if anything happens. NFU Mutual.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oscargrouch For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2675
edwink
Old 25-02-2013, 3:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscargrouch View Post
I pay more than Ed for a 4 bed det. I can get it cheaper but choose to use one that I know from experience pays up without hassle. Also included are PV panels, very low excess and, when I go on Holiday all I need is health cover as all other items are covered on House Policy. Much prefer to know I have good insurance rather than find I am paying for hassle if anything happens. NFU Mutual.
We have a 3 bed detached. Our insurance has gone up over the years as others have found in Hertfordshire and indeed other areas. I have shopped around but as Oscar says I can get it cheaper but choose to use one from experience. We have loads covered with the policy including lost keys etc and bicycles stored outside etc etc. We have accidental damage included too!! Also have a low excess with the policy. So have been happy with it although it has gone up quite a bit over the past few years. We always do a bit of researching before deciding to renew.

Just double checked what we actually paid and it was 299.00. The 304.00 I stated was the policy price including 2% added for credit card payments.

Will edit my original post!!

Edwink x
2.4KWp PV system, south facing, Hertfordshire rainforest. Tree shading all winter Have 8 ducks, 18 hens and one handsome cockerel. It's a good life!!!

Last edited by edwink; 25-02-2013 at 3:15 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edwink For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2676
tunnel
Old 25-02-2013, 4:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well i've just checked mine and this year paid 150 for B & C,went through a cashback site for another 60 back so paid a grand total of 90. I did compare like for like and found no difference whatsoever. I'm with Aviva too so no back street ins company either. They do pay out quite well too(made a claim while i was with them about 10 years ago) Always worth checking the cashback sites,you just never know,there's always a cracking deal to be had.

Tunnel
2 kWp ESE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp WNW.....in sunny North Derbyshire
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tunnel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2677
shafeeq
Old 25-02-2013, 6:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

arrrg arrg arrg 0.29 kwh you can guess what the weather was like
From Sheffield. 3kwp YingLi Panda Series Solar Panels with SMA 3000-20 TL Inverter
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shafeeq For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2678
Oscargrouch
Old 25-02-2013, 7:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel View Post
Always worth checking the cashback sites,you just never know,there's always a cracking deal to be had.

Tunnel

Although this reply is off topic, sorry, (not) Some two years ago went on Hols to Spain, took out a cheap Holiday Policy off internet. Had bag thieved at Gerona, Spain. Lost Passport, hotel details, credit card, return tickets, sun glasses etc etc etc. Went to claim on cheap cover. Did not want to count it as 1 claim and 1 excess. Oh no, had to itemise each item in the bag & there was 75.00 per item. Some weeks later talking to the NFU about something else, happen to mention it; back came the comment, look up on the internet what you have lost, and it is covered on your policy; send us the internet equivalent price, and away you go. New for Old, that's what I now call Assurance as well as Insurance. Since then I have saved the extra premium paid for House & Contents by not needing Hol Ins; apart from as said Health Care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafeeq View Post
arrrg arrg arrg 0.29 kwh you can guess what the weather was like
Anyway, back to topic, sorry, (not) a 400 Wh today, eat your words Shafeeq.....

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oscargrouch For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2679
legoman62
Old 25-02-2013, 7:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

1.04kWh today.

Just heard that our area may witness something very unusual in the skies on Wed......the Sun

Fingers and toes crossed
E. Coast. 16 x 250W Sanyo Hit250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW facing roof. 28 pitch. No shade.
Nov 2011 install
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to legoman62 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2680
Oscargrouch
Old 25-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman62 View Post
1.04kWh today.

Just heard that our area may witness something very unusual in the skies on Wed......the Sun

Fingers and toes crossed
And anything else that is possible: