Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > MoneySavers Arms > The Money Savers Arms > Money Saving Polls - results & discussion > Real-life MMD: Should I threaten a bad review to ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Real-life MMD: Should I threaten a bad review to get better service?
Views: 7,215
# 1
Former MSE Debs
Old 18-02-2013, 11:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Real-life MMD: Should I threaten a bad review to get better service?

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I threaten a bad review to get better service?

I write a blog about the city I live in, which includes reviews of local eateries, hotels and attractions. I'm pretty certain last time I went to a restaurant, the waitress overheard me talking about my review, because the service picked up after. I don't get paid to write yet lots of places benefit from better custom after I've written about them. Should I start telling places I visit I'll be reviewing them to get better service?

Click 'reply' to have your say

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas that have been sent into us and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

In this instance, as has been pointed out in the thread below, there is potential for blackmail (though this would depend entirely on how the situation is handled), which MSE does not endorse.

Got a MMD suggestion? Email us

Previous MMDs:

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 21-02-2013 at 2:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Former MSE Debs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
CCStar
Old 19-02-2013, 7:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

No, I think it is false.

People should be nice anyway.
An average day in my life
I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CCStar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Xen6
Old 19-02-2013, 7:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

By telling them you review places you're right, your service will probably be better, but I think that your review will have more value if written from the perspective of an average customer enjoying a realistic everyday experience. This way you can really identify the positives and negatives of the restaurant rather than providing a distorted view from an "out of the ordinary service".
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Xen6 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
iclayt
Old 19-02-2013, 7:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think it makes far more sense to provide feedback of your experiences based on the natural service you receive, which will be more honest, accurate and reliable for those who read it - unless you are planning to end every review with "I received excellent service, because I threatened them with a negative online review".
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iclayt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
scoobydoobydoo
Old 20-02-2013, 12:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

DUH!!!

Obviously not because although you may get better service the people who go there on your recommendation will not.

Why would this bother you? Well because your blog will get a bad name and people wont read it anymore.

What a stupid Q! And why are the MMD not even vaguely dilemma-ish anymore?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scoobydoobydoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
scoobydoobydoo
Old 20-02-2013, 12:48 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Oh and as someone who has worked in the restaurant business for years, I can tell you that you get short shrift from me if you threatened me with a bad review, just as you would if you told me that your best friend owns the company that employs me (that has happened to me).
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to scoobydoobydoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
scotsbob
Old 20-02-2013, 1:15 AM

It's basically a form of intimidation.
I would hope you got short shrift from anyone you tried it on
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scotsbob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
bogwart
Old 20-02-2013, 2:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

How would you feel about being blackmailed? Your attitude is disgraceful. Who do you think you are, anyway? A small-time amateur blogger, is all. Do make an effort to get over yourself.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bogwart For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
juggsy
Old 20-02-2013, 6:21 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm surprised at MSE for this, hardly a 'dilemma' and certainly not one many of us can relate to.

As for the question, it's blindingly obvious that basing your review on blackmail is pathetic and completely mis-leading to anyone reading the review.

When you have a column in The Times then you can begin to think your reviews have some sway. Until then I hope anyone you suggest this to chucks you out of their establishment.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juggsy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Sooler
Old 20-02-2013, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Debs View Post
Should I start telling places I visit that I'll be reviewing them to get better service?
Just let them know you're coming so they know who the pompous cretin is.

Last edited by Sooler; 20-02-2013 at 12:27 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sooler For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Hezzawithkids
Old 20-02-2013, 8:14 AM

Absolutely not. What would be the point? It would make your reviews biased and unbalanced and ruin your reputation.

So maybe yeah, go ahead, you'll get what you deserve.

And what a rubbish MMD by the way.
I love deadlines. I especially love the whooshing sound they make as they go by.

£2 Savers Club 2014 #8 £218/£200
£2 Savers Club 2013 #160 £300/£300
Proud to be an OU graduate
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hezzawithkids For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
pollypenny
Old 20-02-2013, 9:41 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You could try - more like try it on!

The proprietor may well report you and you could lose your job. Deservedly.
Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pollypenny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
debbiesmum
Old 20-02-2013, 9:45 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Should I tell them of my blog to get better service

No - because if that's the way you get good service , it's not an accurate reflection of the service another customer would get.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debbiesmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
joehoover
Old 20-02-2013, 9:48 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Of course not, that would defeat the whole point in your review.

If you are doing your blog to help others aswell as your own enjoyment then it needs to be truthful, people use reviews for guidance a lot, the more incorrect ones out there the harder it is for others to make a decision.

You're better off not reviewing anything at all than giving false reviews.

I'm also a mystery diner, it's imperative staff don't know, if they can't be nice to you as a human being let alone being paid to be then they are in the wrong job, people shouldn't need an extra incentive to be nice and serve you better.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joehoover For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
gayleygoo
Old 20-02-2013, 10:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well you might get better service if the staff think you are reviewing the place, but other customers won't get the preferential treatment. If you threaten them with a bad review, then you're missing the point. If you have any sort of power at all over where people eat (and hopefully you don't have too much) then you need to be fair and not abuse it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gayleygoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
clairmelville
Old 20-02-2013, 10:57 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Writing a bad review will often make the establishment change their ways to improve service for others. I have noticed that as a result of some of the bad reviews I have written there have been positive changes to places, such as baby changing added, places made more child friendly. Or in the cases of good reviews where I can be identified I have been given discount on my return visit (this is of course NOT why I write reviews and I don't expect it or think that it is the norm).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clairmelville For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
chrimson
Old 20-02-2013, 11:21 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via MSN to chrimson

Surely the whole point of your job is to tell the truth as you see it! If you think letting them know you are doing a review will get you better service then there's not much point in the review.
Should "secret shoppers" let shop staff know that they are in the shop?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrimson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
tgroom57
Old 20-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Anyone can write a review for a place on Google Maps, and many other sites.
Make yourself useful and offer new establishments a spot of publicity.
wltw (would like to win) A plumber & £1,000 @ Homebase or B&Q; single electric oven w electronic programmable timers, FGW ticket(s) & a nice surprise
The Following User Says Thank You to tgroom57 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
pennypinchUK
Old 20-02-2013, 11:57 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

A review is only meaningful if it tells you what the normal standard, service, etc. of an establishment is.

What's the point of reading your review if the staff have raised their game to impress you?

I'd not take the blindest notice of a review if I was aware the staff had been tipped off you were coming and were trying to butter you up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pennypinchUK For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Flickering Ember
Old 20-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Definitely not. I am also a reviewer and a blogger and I see it as an extension of mystery shopping. I want to be treated like any other ordinary customer, so I can describe my experience on the basis of that interaction, as opposed to being sucked up to. I remember MSing a well known burger bar once. At the end of my visit, as they'd done very well, I had to approach the counter, ask for the manager and present them with a certificate to redeem a giftcard for the staff member who'd served me. Any time I went in there after that as a normal customer, the staff would be all over me and it was embarrassing. They should treat everyone like that!
Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flickering Ember For This Useful Post: Show me >>