Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 15th Feb 13, 1:26 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Rents slip as more first time buyers get mortgages
    • 15th Feb 13, 1:26 PM
    MSE News: Rents slip as more first time buyers get mortgages 15th Feb 13 at 1:26 PM
    "Private rents dropped for the third consecutive month in January as increased mortgage availability eased pressure..."

Read the full story:

Rents slip as more first time buyers get mortgages

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • tim123456789
    • By tim123456789 15th Feb 13, 2:09 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    tim123456789
    • 15th Feb 13, 2:09 PM
    • 15th Feb 13, 2:09 PM
    I have to say I can't see the point in news release like this

Rent changes vary considerably from region to region and posting headlines based upon the average is just nonsense

tim
  • sandsni
    • 15th Feb 13, 4:46 PM
    • 15th Feb 13, 4:46 PM
    It's also possible that rents have slipped in the past 3 months because few people want to move close to Christmas time and desperate LLs have dropped their prices to attract more interest. Might have nothing whatsoever to do with mortgage availability.
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 15th Feb 13, 9:42 PM
    • 9,280 Posts
    • 9,443 Thanks
    rogerblack
    • 15th Feb 13, 9:42 PM
    • 15th Feb 13, 9:42 PM
    Or indeed because the changing of LHA to the 30th percentile rates has finally kicked in, and tenants on LHA are being forced to negotiate lower rents, or are unable to take up properties with higher rents.
    • ruggedtoast
    • By ruggedtoast 15th Feb 13, 11:13 PM
    • 9,346 Posts
    • 19,811 Thanks
    ruggedtoast
    • 15th Feb 13, 11:13 PM
    • 15th Feb 13, 11:13 PM
    Good! GOOD!!!
    It's better to be a dead hero than a living wuss. - Drazic: Heartbreak High
    • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    • By HAMISH_MCTAVISH 15th Feb 13, 11:21 PM
    • 23,851 Posts
    • 53,041 Thanks
    HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    • 15th Feb 13, 11:21 PM
    • 15th Feb 13, 11:21 PM
    It's also possible that rents have slipped in the past 3 months because few people want to move close to Christmas time and desperate LLs have dropped their prices to attract more interest. Might have nothing whatsoever to do with mortgage availability.
    Originally posted by sandsni
    That's right.

The LSL rent index falls over winter every year.

It would be good news if significantly more people were getting mortgages, and so lessening demand for renting to the extent rents would come down, but it's unlikely that point has been reached yet.

Rents will probably rise again this year, but perhaps more slowly than the last few years, as mortgage availability continues to slowly increase.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
    • sammyw
    • By sammyw 16th Feb 13, 9:36 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    sammyw
    • 16th Feb 13, 9:36 PM
    • 16th Feb 13, 9:36 PM
    Our rent went up £40 a month in January Still saving for deposit for our first house
  • Turnbull2000
    • 16th Feb 13, 10:12 PM
    • 16th Feb 13, 10:12 PM
    Just a seasonal blip. Rents will rise ahead of earnings for a good few years yet. Expect 5-6% growth in 2013.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • jayship
    • By jayship 16th Feb 13, 10:16 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    jayship
    • 16th Feb 13, 10:16 PM
    • 16th Feb 13, 10:16 PM
    I wish!!!!. Landlords in London are demanding an increase.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 17th Feb 13, 11:53 AM
    • 2,210 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    zerog
    I wish!!!!. Landlords in London are demanding an increase.
    Originally posted by jayship
    Rents have nothing to do with mortgages, at least in London. Private rents are set by the councils, as landlords will not rent privately with all the risk when the council will pay them directly to house those people who don't pay their own rent.

Lots of foreigners want to live in London and either they don't care what the rent is, or the employer pays and doesn't care. This forces people who do care about their rent to move further out, which increases the demand there.
    • jayship
    • By jayship 17th Feb 13, 12:10 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    jayship
    Zerog
    This thread is about rents and from what i know private landlords are reluctant to let out to local authotities in London as they pay 25/30% less than what they are able to get privately. There is a possibility of rent not being paid in all sectors including where housing benefit is paid to the tenant and not the landlord.
    • keybored
    • By keybored 17th Feb 13, 2:57 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    keybored
    Our rent went up £40 a month in January Still saving for deposit for our first house
    Originally posted by sammyw
    Luxury, our landlord wants an extra £200pcm
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 18th Feb 13, 3:42 AM
    • 5,842 Posts
    • 2,132 Thanks
    Pincher
    If I get good tenants, I typically don't raise rent for the first three years, because the changeover cost a lot of time and money, so I would rather they don't economise by downgrading. In these days of long term salary freezes, you can upset a perfectly good apple cart by being too greedy.

If they are a nuisance, the increase in rent is really a hint that I want them to go.
    What happens if you push this button?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,153Posts Today

5,971Users online

Martin's Twitter