Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > The Great 'Have you earned cash from homemade You... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
The Great 'Have you earned cash from homemade YouTube vids?' Hunt
Views: 10,552
# 1
Former MSE Debs
Old 08-02-2013, 4:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default The Great 'Have you earned cash from homemade YouTube vids?' Hunt

Great 'Have you earned cash from homemade YouTube vids?' Hunt

From make-up tutorials to cute clips of your kids, it's possible to earn cash uploading videos to YouTube. The site places ads next to the clips, and shares the revenue. We want MoneySavers who've succceeded to share tips on how to start and strategies to max the cash.

View all past Great Hunts

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 12-02-2013 at 4:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
the_ratman79fattybattynch
Old 13-02-2013, 8:50 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

hi,
i made 500 from selling a clip of my cat entitled "Robocop versus the washing machine".

go to youtube and type it in, i can't put the link on here it won't let me.

i basically put it on youtube for a laugh so my friends could see my cat (Robocop) attacking the washing machine! i emailed it to everyone i knew and put it on facebook and left it.

the next month i checked it and it had like 100,000 views! i kept checking it every few days and the views were going up and up, and i was getting emails from "TV companies" claiming they wanted to use the clip!

i thought it was all spam and i ignored it, then i get a phonecall in work, some american woman from a london office, representing a japanese 'you've been framed - type show' wanted to buy the rights for 2 years to show it exclusively in Japan for 75! i thought it was a blag so starting messing with them asking for ridiculous prices (i had no idea what the clip was worth).

to cut a long story short, i asked for a grand, they then said 200 and then i haggled them upto 500 told them i wouldn't release the clip until i got the cheque - i wasn't giving any bank details to them - a few days later a cheque turned up for 500, i cashed it, and gave them the "rights"!

turns out they were legit! i then received requests from a BBC company who asked for 50 - i said no as they wouldn't negociate, then an american company who said they'd pay x amount, but the money never showed up and they never got the permission from me - not sure if they ever used the clip though.

the video now has over 7 million views, turns out it went "viral" and people all over the world have seen it and i only put it on for a laugh for a few mates to see! : )
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the_ratman79fattybattynch For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
paddyrg
Old 13-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Pete Waterman (who wrote and owns 'Never Gonna Give You Up' - the Rick Astley song at the heart of the 'rickrolling' internet fashion) reckons that from the 150,000,000 views the song had, he got a paltry $16 in royalties from YouTube.

Reference: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10218302-93.html

Things might have changed, but I remember Peter Bazalgette (who developed a whole tranche of formats including Ready Steady Cook and Big Brother UK) also not having seen YouTube so much as a revenue stream as a really free hosting deal. If premium commercial content isn't drawing in the advertising revenue, the vast majority of UGC home vids won't do much either.

The one person I know who did make regular cash from YouTube did high-class product reviews for niche photographic components which linked back to an affiliate scheme with a low-cost supplier - he'd make 50/month or so.
# 4
Lighthouse in the dark
Old 13-02-2013, 4:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

ratman, you could of made more off that video than 500 with ads alone.

I dont use youtube much, when i do use it to monetise I will have a video directing to an squeeze page / opt-in.

youtube have changed there algo now so that viewers have to stay watching the video for a certain period before its counted as a high ranking view. you can still manipulate the system but its getting more and more expensive, gone are the days of the mobile views glitch.

at the end of the day when it comes to adsence your 99% of the time best off promoting something niche related rather than use it. (unless your involved in clickfraud, but i guess thats not alowed to be discussed here).
# 5
jax1305
Old 14-02-2013, 12:19 AM
MoneySaving Convert

my son uploads xbox gameplays and has loads of views/subs .... but can't earn any money cos he's under 18 and you need to be over 18 to use adsense. we don't have a website to be able to set up an adsense account linked to it - so youtube put the ads on his vids and they make money but he doesn't. But if he'd been dishonest and said he was over 18 there'd be no problem earning money
# 6
MultiCat
Old 14-02-2013, 10:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax1305 View Post
my son uploads xbox gameplays and has loads of views/subs .... but can't earn any money cos he's under 18 and you need to be over 18 to use adsense. we don't have a website to be able to set up an adsense account linked to it - so youtube put the ads on his vids and they make money but he doesn't. But if he'd been dishonest and said he was over 18 there'd be no problem earning money
He should be able to turn the ads off under his settings.
2nd LBM: 9th Mar. 2012 Proud to be dealing with my debts!
Current Debt (HSBC): 509.66/1,700 odd Current Debt (Natwest): 281.15/350
The Following User Says Thank You to MultiCat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Jenna Appleseed
Old 15-02-2013, 8:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Useful thread re making money from adsense on youtube videos over in Up Your Income 20 per day and rising from Youtube
"And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."
# 8
Hoseman
Old 16-02-2013, 12:38 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I made some money but not a lot.... around 150. I basically put a video up with an affiliate link and some people clicked on it and bought the product.

YouTube certainly offers a lot of opportunities in my opinion. If you have a niche then you can reach out to a wide audience. Also videos can make the first page of Google more easily spending an arm and a leg on SEO

There is money to be made in a number of ways imo but the best way is to build an audience and market to them.
# 9
voyagers_uk
Old 16-02-2013, 1:57 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax1305 View Post
Parents can set up an adsence account and link it to their child's you tube channel. This is what we have done for our daughter - check out her you tube channel - meganissleeping. She has only been going two weeks but has made a few pounds already. She hopes to grow the brand over the next year or so.

There is certainly money to be made out of you tube. Top vloggers such as jacks gap and bertiebertg have an estimated income between 50,000 and 500,000.

One young you tuber has already made enough money to buy a london pad outright.......
# 10
roboticpink
Old 20-02-2013, 7:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I've made a bit from YouTube - I make a huge chocolate bar (HUGE) and post a video of how I did it online. Currently we're at two, the giant KitKat Chunky and the giant Toffee Crisp.

The KitKat used commercial music so I don't make any cash from that one (shame as it hit 280,000 views recently) and have only made about 25 from adsense on the toffee crisp and a couple of other videos I put up there.

The real money came from a Japanese TV show, I sold them the rights to the KitKat video for one showing and one repeat for 300!

Here's my channel if you want to see what they bought: http://www.youtube.com/user/roboticpink
# 11
shanewhittington
Old 20-02-2013, 9:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default I've made some money

I decided to try and make a little money from youtube earlier this year. Someone I know said that they had become a Youtube Partner which prompted me to grill him about what this was.

I decided to create a channel based on what I know and enjoy doing - which is teaching media production and animation.

My channel is now steadily growing and although I don't think I'll be able to give up the day job I've gone from earning nothing to a steady 15 a month so far. My 1st target is to be earning 60 a month so that I can get a payout each month.

Anyways, if anyone is interested in what I've set up then you can look at my channel here - http://www.youtube.com/user/OnlineMe...r?feature=mhee

You should be able to see that I try to make use of playlists and annotations whenever possible to get the most out of my audience.
Wins: Sept - Where's Wally T-Shirt!!
# 12
Hoseman
Old 20-02-2013, 1:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

There's a new youtube layout coming out by the way. From what I hear its going to be available on 22 Feb but this isnt official. They've rolled it out to a few beta testers and here's one of them: http://www.youtube.com/user/ijustine
# 13
oldtrout
Old 22-02-2013, 2:49 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Yawn!! .. I know! ... :... I shouldn't have been reading it in the first place!