Advice please! Potterton Suprima HE 50 boiler - manufacturing fault

Options
jujudream
jujudream Posts: 1 Newbie
Hello,

I have a Potterton Suprima HE 50 condensing boiler which broke down in Nov. The fan was replaced, but in Dec it broke down again. Our engineer phoned Baxi who told him there was a design fault with the flue in earlier models. The flue had a metal component instead of plastic. Metal corrodes and shouldn't be used with condensing boilers. This had happened with our boiler and water got into the fan killing it. Despite being out of warranty, Baxi reluctantly agreed over the phone to either replace the parts themselves free of charge or reimburse us the cost of getting our engineer to do it. I asked for this in writing and since then have got NOWHERE.

Baxi seem to be backtracking, not getting back to emails and providing vague excuses. The latest customer services adviser claimed it's not their responsibility because they didn't manufacture the flue. Ridiculous!! They supplied the flue with the boiler as being the correct one to use. We are being passed around people and no one is doing anything. They've already admitted it was a known fault, but no one seems to have the power to authorise any action.

I would really appreciate any advice on how to proceed or any similar stories with this model. I have contacted Trading Standards and Watchdog. I will be writing to Baxi, but to be honest they just seem like a big faceless corporation who is hiding their liabilities behind their size :-(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure