Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > The best time of year to buy a new car (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
The best time of year to buy a new car
Views: 638
# 1
Azmataz
Old 09-12-2012, 9:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default The best time of year to buy a new car

I'm getting ready to take the plunge and buy a shiny new car via DrivetheDeal. However, my one remaining question is when is the best time to buy? Some say the end of the calender year will guarantee the best deals, whereas some say more pounds can be saved towards the end of each plate.
Please share your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
used car manager
Old 09-12-2012, 9:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmataz View Post
I'm getting ready to take the plunge and buy a shiny new car via DrivetheDeal. However, my one remaining question is when is the best time to buy? Some say the end of the calender year will guarantee the best deals, whereas some say more pounds can be saved towards the end of each plate.
Please share your thoughts!
for new cars august and feb, month before a new plate... nobody buys as they wait for the rew reg so the dealer struggles to hit his target set by HO..

for used cars december, july august all quite months at delaers due to xmas and summer holidays
The Following User Says Thank You to used car manager For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Strider590
Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

On the other hand you have to consider reverse psychology...........

It used to be said that the end of the month was the best time to buy, as the salemen want to meet end of month targets. BUT they new this and saw that more people were coming into the dealerships later in the month expecting a deal, so they'd play along with it, give a lot of sales BS, let you think your getting a bargain and charge even more.

I'm not convinced that any time is better than any other. Going into one of these places assuming your going to get a good deal, is the single worst thing you can do.

Me? I don't go into them at all, I can't stand salesmen, it only takes one single word out of place and they'll not only lose credibility, but actually anger me by assuming I must be stupid.... But that's just me.
Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strider590 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
used car manager
Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider590 View Post
On the other hand you have to consider reverse psychology...........

It used to be said that the end of the month was the best time to buy, as the salemen want to meet end of month targets. BUT they new this and saw that more people were coming into the dealerships later in the month expecting a deal, so they'd play along with it, give a lot of sales BS, let you think your getting a bargain and charge even more.

I'm not convinced that any time is better than any other. Going into one of these places assuming your going to get a good deal, is the single worst thing you can do.

Me? I don't go into them at all, I can't stand salesmen, it only takes one single word out of place and they'll not only lose credibility, but actually anger me by assuming I must be stupid.... But that's just me.
dont take it out on the salesman lol ... its just the environment he has to work in... commission based.. anyone who is in sales and has targets and commssion will work hard for the sale but try and keep as much profit in the deal as they can.. thats their job... same for financial advisors etc, all selling something and earning commission

the company is in business and not on your side, just like Currys, Next etc so dont let it wind you up
# 5
Strider590
Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Vardy View Post
the company is in business and not on your side, just like Currys, Next etc so dont let it wind you up
Oh you wouldn't want to see me in Currys/PCworld, if there's one thing I do know more than anything, it's electronics and PCs

Being helpful is one thing and I can even forgive someone not knowing their subject (to an extent), but when someone speaks outright nonsense in a forceful and confident manner, I just can't take them seriously.

I know it's easy to assume that a quiet person (as I generally am) can be fooled, extroverts assume those of a more introverted nature are dumb, but to quote a certain theoretical physicist "Quiet people have the loudest minds" and quite frankly most people wouldn't last 5 minutes inside mine
Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
# 6
andygb
Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 PM

This is the best time of the year to buy a used car - if you can visit an auction, because most members of the public will stay away, and you will compete against dealers who have their margins to think about.
# 7
Flying-High
Old 10-12-2012, 12:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Never made much difference to me... As Ive wanted needed/something I've We've bought it..
# 8
Azmataz
Old 10-12-2012, 1:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Given that the price set by DrivetheDeal (or any broker) is established up front without allowing for dealership quibbling, would it still be better to purchase a new vehicle towards the end of the plate year?

I've watched the price of this car decrease on DtD 250 since last month and wonder if this price reduction will continue to increase the nearer we get to the new plate. Alternatively, I wonder if I should nab it now seeing as this calender year is almost out...

I've never bought via broker before, so wonder just how much their prices decrease in line with plate timings.
# 9
motorguy
Old 10-12-2012, 1:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygb View Post
This is the best time of the year to buy a used car - if you can visit an auction, because most members of the public will stay away, and you will compete against dealers who have their margins to think about.
The O/P is looking for a brand new car...
Regards

Paul
The Following User Says Thank You to motorguy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
UsernameAlreadyExists
Old 10-12-2012, 1:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Vardy View Post

But Currys,Next etc have prices on their items, and it isn't a complete pantomime going through PX negotiations, checking with the manager, pressure selling warranties, gap insurance etc. etc. when you come to buy one.
# 11
daveyjp
Old 10-12-2012, 5:32 PM

The beat deals on new cars is just before they change the model.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."