Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Over 50s Money Saving > Christmas present ideas for lady with early stage... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Christmas present ideas for lady with early stage dementia and limited mobility
Closed Thread
Views: 1,485
# 1
jap200
Old 07-12-2012, 5:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Christmas present ideas for lady with early stage dementia and limited mobility

As my title says, I am struggling with this one. The lady in question (my mother-in-law) can no longer read more than a sentence or two, doesn't eat chocolate or drink alcohol, can't operate the DVD or CD player on her own and struggles with many other things involving any amount of concentration or movement. She doesn't really enjoy going out for meals either.

She does enjoy watching TV, drinking tea, chatting, looking at photos (old and new) and watching the garden birds. I know it sounds limited but she seems quite content.

She doesn't need any more photo albums, frames (walls and surfaces are covered), bird feeders/bird bath, mugs, blankets, cushions etc. For her last birthday I bought her a skirt and cardigan, but to be honest she has so many clothes already.

I really am at a loss as to what I can get her for Christmas and would appreciate any helpful suggestions please. It is important to my children (teens) in particular to be able to give her something even if it will be get limited use.
# 2
cte1111
Old 07-12-2012, 5:13 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Cuddly toy? My Dad had a stuffed cat that he was fond of when he was suffering from mild dementia. He would make it dance to amuse the children.

He also liked doing jigsaws, try to find fairly simple ones as he struggled with the 1000 piece ones that he used to like before he was ill.

Would she enjoy some audio books? It makes a change from watching TV and good if she can't read much any more, as she could keep up to date with any authors that she used to like. If she's not already got a CD player, the very cheap ones from Argos are easy to operate.

Another idea is a clock which has the day and date on it. My Dad would get confused what day it was and sometimes whether it was am or pm, so one like this was useful: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/6239095.htm

We also bought Dad a week planner and would write on it who was coming to see him and when.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cte1111 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Mint1955
Old 07-12-2012, 5:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

How about a beautician to come to her house and give her a hand massage and manicure
Special mug or pretty tea cup and saucer for her tea
Treat biscuits
Lap tray
Electronic photo frame that changes photos like a film show
Teens could go to grans for a movie night/afternoon and watch DVD and have tea etc. they could diary the events so she has something to look forward to
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mint1955 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
davenport151
Old 07-12-2012, 5:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

How about a supply of peanuts/fat balls /seed for the feeders to keep her topped up? Especially with the hard winter months ahead for the birds. Has she got a nice birdbath or fountain that provides the birds with much needed water?
Savings for rainy day/home improvement
So far; Savings93.09

re aiming (again)! for 1000.00 for savings buffer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davenport151 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Errata
Old 07-12-2012, 7:30 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If she enjoys looking at photos, how about a book with lots and lots of pictures about the Queen, royalty, Golden Jubilee?
.....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Errata For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
jap200
Old 07-12-2012, 7:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately many of the things she alreaday has or wouldn't like or be able to cope with.

The clock (suggested by cte1111) is a great idea as she does struggle with the date and time. It's a bit out of our budget and does seem a bit over-priced for what it is, but I might be able to shop around for something similar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jap200 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
luxor4t
Old 07-12-2012, 8:35 PM

We bought MiL a radio controlled clock (always tells the correct time) last year.
This year she's getting a new dressing gown with buttons as she gets tangled with the tie-up sort and the Jubilee dvd set - SiL will start it running as MiL can't anymore.
The calendar clock is a great idea - I'll look out for one for her birthday.
Find Money on Your Street 2009 - date: 79.87
Ditched in 2014: 1135
Citizen of Limbo.
# 8
Savvy_Sue
Old 08-12-2012, 12:00 AM

Would be interested to see any other clocks people find: thought that Argos one was really ugly, TBH, but might be able to get something like a clock for FIL.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
# 9
whitewing
Old 08-12-2012, 12:04 AM

What about one of those clocks with garden birds on that makes a different birdsong every hour? (That doesn't help with day and date of course).
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
# 10
cte1111
Old 08-12-2012, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy_Sue View Post
Would be interested to see any other clocks people find: thought that Argos one was really ugly, TBH, but might be able to get something like a clock for FIL.
Here's a more attractive one from John Lewis for 30:
http://www.johnlewis.com/154686/Prod...x#BVRRWidgetID

It's out of stock online ATM but you could ask to be emailed when it comes back in, or get one instore. Some of the reviews are from people who have bought them for relatives with dementia and they were happy with it.

Re the bird clock, I bought my MIL one of those, didn't realise it chirped every hour when I bought it, I just thought she would like the birds and it matched her kitchen. Every time it chirped, their pet guinea pigs squeaked in unison! Made me LOL, would have driven me mad in my own house though. She must like it as it's still up in their kitchen.
The Following User Says Thank You to cte1111 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Savvy_Sue
Old 08-12-2012, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cte1111 View Post
Here's a more attractive one from John Lewis for 30:
http://www.johnlewis.com/154686/Prod...x#BVRRWidgetID

It's out of stock online ATM but you could ask to be emailed when it comes back in, or get one instore. Some of the reviews are from people who have bought them for relatives with dementia and they were happy with it.
Thanks, it's certainly nicer than the one from Argos, but doesn't say whether it's morning or afternoon. I don't know if it will be well received, either.

Anyway, just been and searched out a previous thread specifically on clocks and calendars in case it helps anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cte1111 View Post
Re the bird clock, I bought my MIL one of those, didn't realise it chirped every hour when I bought it, I just thought she would like the birds and it matched her kitchen. Every time it chirped, their pet guinea pigs squeaked in unison! Made me LOL, would have driven me mad in my own house though. She must like it as it's still up in their kitchen.
Maybe she just doesn't know how to take it down, or 'forgets' it keeps going so is constantly surprised by it ...

It would drive me nuts as well ...
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy_Sue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Running man
Old 09-12-2012, 2:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

How about some perfume.Even with slight dementia she probably would like the nice smells.Or nice hand cream.My wife worked with people with dementia and she says they liked being pampered a little.One of my wifes patients loved her putting hand cream on and massaging it in for her.
Another suggestion again by wife how about a foot spa or massager
Remember only people who say money doesn't matter have already got enough
The Following User Says Thank You to Running man For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Desperate Housewife
Old 10-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Some nicely scented bath or body products. How about a bird song cd? The best thing you can give is spending time with her
Save 12k in 2012 no.49 10,250/12,000
Save 12k in 2013 no.34 11,800/12,000
'How much can you save' thread = 7,050
Total=29,100
Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = 63,000.
Balance 23.11.09 = nil.
Closed Thread