Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Debt Free Diaries > Rising to the top of the ocean - and staying aflo... (Page 3)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Rising to the top of the ocean - and staying afloat!
Views: 38,775
# 41
rising from the ashes
Old 07-12-2012, 6:55 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
I love the sea too. I feel a huge infinity to it for some reason. However, I like it's darker side, I'm not a fan of the touristy side of the coast, I love it when it's dark, windy, rugged and raining
Ohhhh, yup - I also love being outside in the dark in the middle of nowhere (not when it's stormy too!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post

Mrs Mort also loves the sea, and walking the dog along the beach. A definite "Sea Child".
Hi Mort great to see you! Mrs Mort def has the right ideas...

Really missing my beach walks just now ..... can't wait for Maisie to be home and to get out & about again!
Starting again - back on the frugal MSE journey
Groceries & Toiletries: Annual 2080
CCP claim success!

Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
rising from the ashes
Old 07-12-2012, 6:57 AM

Default Introductions

I share my house with a gorgeous Black Lab called Maisie who I rehomed earlier this year:

Maisie

Yup - we really did have the whole beach to ourselves!

CCP claim success!

Last edited by rising from the ashes; 07-12-2012 at 7:17 AM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 43
rising from the ashes
Old 07-12-2012, 7:00 AM

Default Introductions

Then there are the cats .....

Big cat

Wee cat

Please don't believe the - I'm so cute and butter wouldn't melt pose ..... Tortitude with a capital T that one!
CCP claim success!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
rising from the ashes
Old 07-12-2012, 7:08 AM

So...... really pleased to see some new faces on my shiny new diary hope you'll stick with me & look forward to getting to know you ..... there's still room for more so any lurkers .... show your faces!
CCP claim success!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
rising from the ashes
Old 07-12-2012, 7:16 AM

What's on today?

I'm in limbo a bit atm ... supposed to be going to the hospital for my next infusion treatment this morning (should be leaving @ 8) but they didn't ring yesterday (they should ring the day before each treatment to check you're OK to have it).

Ended up ringing but the person I needed to speak to was away home .... she's supposed to be ringing me at 8 - TBH I'd really rather put it off to next week if I can.

I'm finally seeing my Consultant on Monday (after waiting 3 weeks when I was supposed to get an emergency appt the next week) so would really rather see what he says before having another infusion - it could be them that's causing my recent issues.

I know what she'll say - just come in and we'll talk about it then - but they really don't get how bloomin' far it is to go .... especially when you're not feeling that well and there's the cost of the fuel too! *sigh*

Sorry - I am a pretty organised person and hate being in limbo - not being able to plan my day out!

So .... it'll either be a day of travelling and sitting around in hospital or errrr sitting around in the house (but at least I can potter around doing some MSE things here!).
CCP claim success!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 46
Lurker1972
Old 07-12-2012, 7:39 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Another serial lurker here (hence the name), have 'seen' you posting elsewhere - love the family photos.

I also hate being in limbo and budgeting is my downfall .... From what I can see you have it all under control so I shall sit back and learn from a professional !

You say about bulk buying for the animals, does that include cat litter? We have 2 rescue cats that are not keen on outdoor toilets ( cant blame them in this weather) so we are going through litter at a rate of knots. Any tips on how to reduce that would be great - am not keen on the tough love, go outside option as they are still settling in. We are their third home so it may be that they had been indoor cats and the Big Out is still too new for poop!

Hope your day goes well
I do not make mistakes, I learn lessons.
I work to live, not live to work.
I love to live & live to love.
Good enough is exactly that.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lurker1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 47
slowlyfading
Old 07-12-2012, 8:16 AM

Lovely pics and I hope your day goes okay
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss
2014 Frugal Challenge Member // Oct NSD - 19/18 // SPC #004
Engaged 14/08/10 // Married 31/03/12
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to slowlyfading For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
Piquant
Old 07-12-2012, 8:28 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hello

I'm popping in to wish you a happy diary. The cats and dog were too much temptation for me, lovely, lovely pictures

Piq
Total debt at October 2008: 67,213.30
Total debt today: 0
- debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013
Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
Save 12K in 2014 - 6,521.90/6K member 138

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Piquant For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
*Robin*
Old 07-12-2012, 8:40 AM

Hello Rising,

I too was put off joining in on your previous diary by the length; the sheer history encapsulated in so many pages.

But as another fan of abandoned beaches and wild seas, I cannot resist de-lurking now.

Is there any tea in the pot or shall I put the kettle on? Will decline cake and biscuits as there's no chance of any exercise today to work off the calories.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to *Robin* For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
slowlyfading
Old 07-12-2012, 8:52 AM

Ooh, *Robin* I'll join you for a cuppa!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to slowlyfading For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
mooomin
Old 07-12-2012, 9:24 AM

Did someone say tea?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mooomin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
elantan
Old 07-12-2012, 9:36 AM

Can I be a pain and have a coffee? But I did bring biscuits and cake for those of us that want some
march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting (currently 34/100)
100 week heath challenge may20th 2013- April 20th 2015
"what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to elantan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 53
Purplemumof2
Old 07-12-2012, 9:43 AM

Tea here too please, no sugar thanks I'm sweet enough (believe that, you'll believe anything!)

Love the photo's, they all look adorable

Hope you're feeling a bit better today, nothing worse than feeling pooh.
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
MBNA: 11225.54/12097.15 BC: 2658.65/2710.23 Overdraft: 2750.00/2750.00
20p Savers 2014 2 Savers 2014 50p Savers 2014 SPC 7 2014 #003

If you wish to join the 20p or 2 Savers Clubs 2014, please let me know and I'll add you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Purplemumof2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 54
rising from the ashes
Old 07-12-2012, 3:19 PM

*flings self down in comfy chair*

I'm back ... guess what - I had to go ....... have been poked & proded, stuck with needles, x-ray'd etc etc (4.5 hours I was in there!) but no infusion!

Anyway ... I'm home, with another loads of meds to take and have to go back on Mon to see the Consultant and, if everything's OK, have my infusion then *sigh* - which is what I was after in the first place!

However, hopefully these new meds will make me feel a bit better over the weekend!

*kettles on*
CCP claim success!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 55
slowlyfading
Old 07-12-2012, 3:26 PM

Glad you're back okay but rubbish to having to wait again for the infusion I'm having a cuppa
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slowlyfading For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
rising from the ashes
Old 07-12-2012, 3:28 PM

Great to see some lurkers coming out and saying hello!

A big welcome to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker1972 View Post
Another serial lurker here (hence the name), have 'seen' you posting elsewhere - love the family photos.
mmmmm wondering if you've had a big birthday this year (like me)

Quote:
I also hate being in limbo and budgeting is my downfall .... From what I can see you have it all under control so I shall sit back and learn from a professional !
Ohhhh I still make a lot of mistakes and have a lot to learn .... hope we can help each other stay on track!

Quote:
You say about bulk buying for the animals, does that include cat litter? We have 2 rescue cats that are not keen on outdoor toilets ( cant blame them in this weather) so we are going through litter at a rate of knots.
Awwww great news on the new additions, poor wee mites having 3 homes - TBH I've always kept a tray indoors (even when I had cats who went outside) as it's often the first sign that things can be wrong, water work wise IYKWIM.

Re cat litter, I changed to this around August time (was using wood pellets but they were getting very expensive and you waste loads)

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/c...e_grain/137226

If you can make the order up to 19 you get free delivery & 5% cashback through Quid*co

You do need a lot in the tray initially (I need to use a whole bag as I've got a huge tray) but if you do this and it's therefore really deep, it clumps brilliantly. Wees are held together like pebbles & it's really easy to clean out. It's got a lovely smell too (which I thought might bother the cats but they seem to like it too!) so no horrid odours!

As it clumps so well, you only need to top it up a little probably a couple of times a week, so between the 2 bags, it lasts for ages! - ohhh, as long as it's kept clean & regularly cleaned out, you hardly ever need to do a full change (which would increase costs a lot as you need so much at the start) as nothing gets right through to the bottom of the tray.

There was a few of us did a trial of a few litters on the Pets board - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...030425&page=13 (I've linked to the last page) - also some to avoid on there! HTH
CCP claim success!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
Shortie
Old 07-12-2012, 3:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'll join you with the cuppa - I'm still slowly drinking a (now) luke warm cuppa from the canteen in work (I know, I know... but I feel grotty and I can't find my thermos flask to make a big cuppa in the pantry)

Hope the mediacation makes you feel better (though I think this was one of the things I missed in the other diary...)
Appologies if there are random typos - I am usually replying via my phone
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shortie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 58
rising from the ashes
Old 07-12-2012, 3:33 PM

Also big welcomes to

Piquant
how's that wee monster of yours settling in? and
Robin I really need to catch up on your diary! Hope things are.... you know, getting a little easier.

Beanielou ..... you are wonderful a wee parcel was waiting for me when I got home (I've got a fab postie!) .... plugged in already & hopefully will see some results!

Right .... that's a Coffee for Elantan and tea for Robin Moomin and Purple ... anyone else? Shortie fling your cup over here and I'll top it up!
CCP claim success!

# 59
rising from the ashes
Old 07-12-2012, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlyfading View Post
Glad you're back okay but rubbish to having to wait again for the infusion I'm having a cuppa
TBH it's probably better that I wait as I've been a bit worried it's them that are making me feel ill - after today, I think that's less likely but I'd still prefer to speak to my Consultant in person first so .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
Hope the mediacation makes you feel better (though I think this was one of the things I missed in the other diary...)
Ahhhh, yup - for new diary readers .... I've been a bit unwell recently - I've got Crohn's Disease and it's had a bit of a flare up unfortunately .... I had a spell of 10 days in hospital in October and then pretty much housebound since. The infusions are a relatively new treatment (and there's a trial going on just now that I managed to get on) so hoping they may help ... fingers crossed.
CCP claim success!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 60
rising from the ashes
Old 07-12-2012, 3:40 PM

The new car ....

So - as some of you will know, I had to switch to an automatic car just before I became ill. I was just getting the hang of it (very different way of driving) but then haven't driven for around 8 weeks.....

Today was the 1st time I've driven it in town!

OMG .... it's wonderful and sooooooo easy I'd got to the point in the old one that there's no way I could've driven in town so would've had to park somewhere & get the bus in today if I'd still had it .... wow! I'm impressed! (worth a bit of an OD!)
CCP claim success!