Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > My nan & I purchased an item online - what to... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
My nan & I purchased an item online - what to do next?
Views: 1,204
# 1
book12
Old 07-12-2012, 6:57 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Red face My nan & I purchased an item online - what to do next?

I have taught my nan how to use the tablet which I purchased for her, so she can learn technology.

After teaching her how to surf the net, she has found an item that she wants to purchase. So I taught her how to purchase things online (how to sign up for an account, put details in etc...). After inputting the personal details and card details, it went through. We also got a confirmation email.

A few hours later, I realised it was an unauthorised online retailer. Now she won't even get her goods, and have her card details (and maybe personal details) compromised. It might be a scam site.

My nan and I would be going to the bank and explain the situation, and get the card cancelled immediately. Not sure if the payment has been taken yet. She isn't registered on telephone or online banking. She is worried about her identity and card details being stolen. My nan can't afford the monthly fee of identity protection.

Advice appreciated. What should we do next?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
BASFORDLAD
Old 07-12-2012, 8:05 AM

why on earth would she need to pay a monthly fee for identity protection,

Obviously you are an easy sales target
For everthing else there's mastercard.
For clampers there's Barclaycard.
# 3
grumbler
Old 07-12-2012, 8:07 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

What's 'unauthorised' retailer? Authorised by whom?
Care to say what retailer it was?
We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
.definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
should have, NOT should of
.....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
# 4
Gromitt
Old 07-12-2012, 8:11 AM

Which web site? If you think it's unauthorised, might be a good idea to say who and other people can confirm it.

If you think your details are compromised, then sure, cancel the card.
# 5
martin57
Old 07-12-2012, 9:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hope you get it sorted.

Whatever you do don't show her how to play bingo or the slots online.

Martin57
The Following User Says Thank You to martin57 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
dalesrider
Old 07-12-2012, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by book12 View Post
After inputting the personal details and card details, it went through. We also got a confirmation email.

A few hours later, I realised it was an unauthorised online retailer. Now she won't even get her goods, and have her card details (and maybe personal details) compromised. It might be a scam site.

Advice appreciated. What should we do next?
Unauthorised online retailer????

Just how do you reach this conclusion....
Let me guess is that you looked for reviews of the retailer after making the purchase and found bad reviews....

So again, how do you know she wont get the goods???
Let me guess is that you looked for reviews of the retailer after making the purchase and found bad reviews....

Scam site???
Yet they sent a confirmation email....

Now how about giving us some REAL information about just who the retailer is.
Then you can get some advice.

Stop the card? Why?
Only one who is going to suffer is your nan, as she is going to be without her just just before xmas.
# 7
book12
Old 07-12-2012, 5:37 PM

I searched the retailer online on google, and there are articles and reviews that it's scam site.

Hope that answer your questions.
# 8
dalesrider
Old 07-12-2012, 5:49 PM

Quote:
I searched the retailer online on google, and there are articles and reviews that it's scam site.

So which website?
# 9
Canary Wundaboy
Old 07-12-2012, 6:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

It's been there for years, how do people still not know about the little padlock?!
5000 paid off
2500 remaining
Paying off ~500 per month
Debt free by March 2014, 5 months before wedding!
# 10
rb10
Old 07-12-2012, 6:32 PM

Cancelling the card is unlikely to stop the payment, as it's already been authorised, even if not actually taken.

For future reference, I don't know of any bank that makes you go into a branch to cancel a card, even if you are not registered for telephone banking. There will always be a lost/stolen cards number that anyone can use.

If the goods don't arrive, then she will be able to submit a chargeback through her bank.
# 11
Chino
Old 07-12-2012, 9:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary Wundaboy View Post
It's been there for years, how do people still not know about the little padlock?!
You mean the padlock that the means the scamster is serious about scamming people and thought it worthwhile to spend all of $400 for an SSL certificate? (and paid for using another victim's card details)
The Following User Says Thank You to Chino For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Gromitt
Old 07-12-2012, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chino View Post
You mean the padlock that the means the scamster is serious about scamming people and thought it worthwhile to spend all of $400 for an SSL certificate? (and paid for using another victim's card details)
Indeed, I purchased a couple for the company I work for today. No requests for any kind of proof of identity. SSL certificates came through the day after the application.
# 13
callum9999
Old 07-12-2012, 9:59 PM

Quote:

It didn't answer the question because it doesn't say WHO the retailer is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary Wundaboy View Post
Is there a padlock on tablet web browsers? Maybe I'm just not remembering seeing it, but I don't recall one on my Android tablet.
# 14
grumbler
Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by callum9999 View Post
Is there a padlock on tablet web browsers? Maybe I'm just not remembering seeing it, but I don't recall one on my Android tablet.
I see it even on my Android phone.
We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
.definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
should have, NOT should of
.....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
# 15
Gromitt
Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
If there's not one on your tablet you must be using a real crap browser, as both my phone and tablet clearly show the padlock on secure web pages, and I can easily view the certificate. Whilst I'm on secure web pages, the address is also clearly shown at the top of the screen.
# 16
book12
Old 08-12-2012, 8:58 AM

Anyway, spoke to my nan. The bank cancelled the card and ordered a new one for her. Transaction has went through straight away when ordering it 2 days ago, so can't stop the transaction. O well.

Quote:
It didn't answer the question because it doesn't say WHO the retailer is!
Retailer is bootsuksale.
# 17
dalesrider
Old 08-12-2012, 9:29 AM

Quote:

Retailer is bootsuksale.
Ah so she has ordered some UGG boots.....

Heads up.
Unhelpfull advice.
There is no such thing as a fake UGG... They are a style of boot, not a trademarked brand.
Vast majority for even the big brands like, Deckers are made in China... At a guess by the same manufacture that your nan used....

Stopping the card was nothing but a waste of time. These are not Unauthorised retailers. They are genuine chineese companies selling goods.

Helpfull advice time.

If the goods do not arrive 15 days after debit call the bank back and get a chargeback actioned for non reciept.
Nice and simple.
If they arrive and shes not happy (read wrong size, not as ordered) then she is going to have to jump through some hoops, to get her money back.

Now go back and train you nan how to use google and check out the retailer before ordering goods....
Simple stuff like making sure they have a UK tel no and address. Read the T/C for returns policy/process....
The Following User Says Thank You to dalesrider For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
book12
Old 08-12-2012, 4:01 PM

I mean counterfeit boots...

The website doesn't mention address, contact details, VAT no., etc...

I have googled the payment processing system that the website uses, and some of them say it's a scam processing system.

The Ugg website has a section to check out authorised and unauthorised online retailers. I typed that company in and it says that the website might be selling counterfeit boots. Hence, the actions taken mentioned in the thread already.

The confirmation email we got after ordering, there's no contact details, just a gmail address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesrider View Post
Ah so she has ordered some UGG boots.....

Heads up.
Unhelpfull advice.
There is no such thing as a fake UGG... They are a style of boot, not a trademarked brand.
Vast majority for even the big brands like, Deckers are made in China... At a guess by the same manufacture that your nan used....

Stopping the card was nothing but a waste of time. These are not Unauthorised retailers. They are genuine chineese companies selling goods.

Helpfull advice time.

If the goods do not arrive 15 days after debit call the bank back and get a chargeback actioned for non reciept.
Nice and simple.
If they arrive and shes not happy (read wrong size, not as ordered) then she is going to have to jump through some hoops, to get her money back.

Now go back and train you nan how to use google and check out the retailer before ordering goods....
Simple stuff like making sure they have a UK tel no and address. Read the T/C for returns policy/process....
# 19
dalesrider
Old 08-12-2012, 4:37 PM

Quote:
I mean counterfeit boots...

The website doesn't mention address, contact details, VAT no., etc...
So you didn't check 1st...
So can I guess that you talked your nan into buying you a pair.
Still you are not alone. There are plenty of threads on these boards about this.....

Quote:
I have googled the payment processing system that the website uses, and some of them say it's a scam processing system.
Oh.. My fav word SCAM.... So how do these people that post such stuff know its a scam?? then???
There are now thousands of payment processing companies. China proberly has more than the rest of the world as well.... All are legit.

Quote:
The Ugg website has a section to check out authorised and unauthorised online retailers. I typed that company in and it says that the website might be selling counterfeit boots. Hence, the actions taken mentioned in the thread already.
So why, did you not just go straight to them. Or did the price seem too good to be true.

So stopping your nans card helps in what way???? All you have done is cause her inconvience when she least needs it.

Its not going to stop the goods from coming. Its not going to help get the money back, if they do arrive.
Just because they are not "Genuine" is not a reason to get your money back.

What you have bought is FUGG's The type that the likes of Primarni etc sell.

Quote:
The confirmation email we got after ordering, there's no contact details, just a gmail address.
Well at least if they arrive you have some contact details...

Start praying they do not arrive in 15 days. It by far the easist way to be resolved. Thankfully with xmas here customs are on the lookout for this stuff and may sieze them. You then get a nice letter from them, talking about importing counterfeit goods and prosecution.....

I know this comes accross as harsh, it is not ment too, but there is no other way of putting it.

You have searched all this info AFTER making the purchase.... So why not do it before... Or was it a case of blindness.

These companies are after nothing other than selling the goods. They do not care about card details or stuff like this.
They do not debit you again after the purchase, well unless you are happy and buy another pair. Which many people are happy to do.