Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • phebe3
    • By phebe3 6th Dec 12, 8:43 AM
    • 221Posts
    • 41Thanks
    phebe3
    apple i pad mini bad apple information
    • 6th Dec 12, 8:43 AM
    apple i pad mini bad apple information 6th Dec 12 at 8:43 AM
    I am STEAMING!...just phoned the apple store to order an apple i pad mini..have waited until now cos of money and also was worried that if daughter got it for xmas, and wasn't usinguntil xmas, wasn;t sure of rights if it didn't work properly. Wasn't concerned as web site shows IN STOCK. Well, yes, they are in stock...in AMERICA..and have to be shipped over so don't get here if you order today until beginning of january 2013. am devastated as it's ALL daughter wants for xmas and she has saved and saved money to put towards as we can't afford to buy it outright for her for xmas.
Page 1
    • Lifeforms
    • By Lifeforms 6th Dec 12, 9:37 AM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    Lifeforms
    • 6th Dec 12, 9:37 AM
    • 6th Dec 12, 9:37 AM
    The UK apple store website clearly shows 2 weeks dispatch. It has pretty much since the week before it came out.

It's a new product, out only a couple of months. Since the year dot with apple products there is never enough available for the Xmas market demand. You should've ordered it earlier, or start to trawl around the local apple shops and see if they're in store. Try places like tescos, or pc world (pc world can't online delivery, but may click and collect in stores)
    You might even get lucky, it says dispatched in two weeks, depending if that 2 week dispatch is from there to over here to be sent on to you, then that gives 4 days before xmas to get it.
    • BlueFox
    • By BlueFox 6th Dec 12, 9:52 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    BlueFox
    • 6th Dec 12, 9:52 AM
    • 6th Dec 12, 9:52 AM
    It's not a nice situation for you and for that you have my sympathies.

But, it's not really Apple's fault you waited until now to buy it, I saw a message on their website a couple of weeks ago which said if you want an iPad Mini by christmas you needed to order it by 28 November.

The iPad Mini has been flying off the shelves and are very hard to get hold of. Your best bet would have been ordering direct from Apple as they only take payment when it's dispatched.

My advice would be to keep an eye on John Lewis' website as they have intermittent stock but I imagine there are lots of people doing the same
    • jaydeeuk1
    • By jaydeeuk1 6th Dec 12, 10:00 AM
    • 7,462 Posts
    • 4,938 Thanks
    jaydeeuk1
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:00 AM
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:00 AM
    Ebay with their inflated prices probably your best hope.
  • ellies angel
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:16 AM
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:16 AM
    What about John Lewis?
    l love this site!!
    • iSaving
    • By iSaving 6th Dec 12, 10:49 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 1,395 Thanks
    iSaving
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:49 AM
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:49 AM
    Again I reiterate the sympathies of others here, however it is sold out pretty much everywhere, and unless you're prepared to pick it up off Amazon Marketplace for about £50 more, you'll be very hard pressed to get one. John Lewis, Argos etc are all sold out.

All that being said, you cannot possibly blame Apple. It appears you have visited the Apple.com US store (Dollars should have been a give away) as the UK store has been listing at "Dispatched in 2 weeks" almost since release.

If you do bite the bullet and order from Apple now, there's an outside chance you'll get it in time for Christmas. Dispatch should happen by 20th (Thursday), it will then be dispatched from a more local logistics depot (usually in Ireland) and you could well have it on Christmas Eve - bit of a long shot though.
    • shazza39
    • By shazza39 6th Dec 12, 12:21 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    shazza39
    • 6th Dec 12, 12:21 PM
    • 6th Dec 12, 12:21 PM
    phebe3 you can go on and reserve one to be sent to your nearest Apple store. There is no guarantee however that you would even get one. But you reserve it and if they email you before 9pm that night it will be at that Apple store to be collected the next day. You don't pay anything upfront so you have nothing to lose. You will only hear from them if it is available for collection.
    Good luck
    • BlueFox
    • By BlueFox 6th Dec 12, 12:28 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    BlueFox
    • 6th Dec 12, 12:28 PM
    • 6th Dec 12, 12:28 PM
    phebe3 you can go on and reserve one to be sent to your nearest Apple store. There is no guarantee however that you would even get one. But you reserve it and if they email you before 9pm that night it will be at that Apple store to be collected the next day. You don't pay anything upfront so you have nothing to lose. You will only hear from them if it is available for collection.
    Good luck
    Originally posted by shazza39
    I think this only applies to the iPhone 5, not iPad.
    • shazza39
    • By shazza39 6th Dec 12, 12:34 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    shazza39
    • 6th Dec 12, 12:34 PM
    • 6th Dec 12, 12:34 PM
    I think this only applies to the iPhone 5, not iPad.
    Originally posted by BlueFox
    Oh does it? I was told this when I ordered the iPhone 5, I just assumed it was every product.
    Well good luck then trying to find one!
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 6th Dec 12, 2:38 PM
    • 13,798 Posts
    • 7,304 Thanks
    motorguy
    I am STEAMING!...just phoned the apple store to order an apple i pad mini..have waited until now cos of money and also was worried that if daughter got it for xmas, and wasn't usinguntil xmas, wasn;t sure of rights if it didn't work properly. Wasn't concerned as web site shows IN STOCK. Well, yes, they are in stock...in AMERICA..and have to be shipped over so don't get here if you order today until beginning of january 2013. am devastated as it's ALL daughter wants for xmas and she has saved and saved money to put towards as we can't afford to buy it outright for her for xmas.
    Originally posted by phebe3
    Whilst i appreciate the financial constraints your under, you cant really blame Apple can you?
    Regards

Paul
    • chunkychocky
    • By chunkychocky 6th Dec 12, 2:46 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 4,573 Thanks
    chunkychocky
    Depending upon which one you want PC World have some in stock online for home delivery. If not one of those, then try local shops: Apple store, John Lewis, PC World, Currys, HMV etc. Even if they are out of stock online they may have what you want in a local store.
    • notbritishgas
    • By notbritishgas 6th Dec 12, 3:34 PM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    notbritishgas
    You do not say if you want 16GB or 32 GB but the latter seems to be available.

Use this link and it will update you when stock is available.

www.ipad-stock.co.uk/checker-ipad-mini-wifi
    • penrhyn
    • By penrhyn 6th Dec 12, 4:41 PM
    • 15,007 Posts
    • 8,056 Thanks
    penrhyn
    What about a Nexus 7?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
    • grizzly1911
    • By grizzly1911 6th Dec 12, 4:55 PM
    • 9,834 Posts
    • 11,414 Thanks
    grizzly1911
    what about a nexus 7?:d
    Originally posted by penrhyn
    +1.:d:d.........
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
    • phebe3
    • By phebe3 6th Dec 12, 5:09 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    phebe3
    Sorted...am getting it direct from the States...luckily have contacts over there and someone visiting...whew! I realise it said 2 weeks dispatch...I thought it meant to my HOUSE, not England! All the other stores selling say Out of Stock, so cos it didn't say that I presumed meant was in stock...which i suppose it is but not in England! She's only decided recently she wanted one, hence not really been looking at Apple store until recently... and tbh am not a techie person and didn't even realise was a new product as have never really got into Apple stuff, except for i pod! Ah well, she may have one for xmas after all and I believe it will be slightly cheaper due to exchange rate....
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 6th Dec 12, 6:15 PM
    • 15,626 Posts
    • 11,332 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I believe it will be slightly cheaper due to exchange rate....
    Originally posted by phebe3
    Except of course you will probably have to pay some or all of customs duty, excise duty and import VAT.

See point 2.2

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&propertyTyp e=document&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HM CE_CL_000014#P26_2848
    • vyle
    • By vyle 6th Dec 12, 9:25 PM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    vyle
    My local JL had eight of the 32gb ones in stock today.
  • mrsg26
    I called the local apple store today and they had them in stock and I went and collected it from there they had 3 left at 9.30am. How does that work with the charger then if you purchase from America would you need to get a converter plug?
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 6th Dec 12, 9:51 PM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 47,302 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    I've had my iPad mini for 4 weeks.

My first port of call was the Apple store. They only had the 64gb version, but I only wanted 16gb. I then went round to John Lewis, who were out of stock.

When I got home, I looked online. PC World had the 16gb version, so I ordered it, and it was delivered by courier the next day for only £3.99 delivery charge.

My suggestion is to shop around, and look online, not just stick to the Apple Store.
    • sitcom321
    • By sitcom321 7th Dec 12, 6:21 AM
    • 381 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    sitcom321
    I have just had an email from Argos to say ipad mini 16gb now in stock i have just been on website now and ordered one which is being delivered tomorrow £269 plus £3 for next day delivery, free delivery if you order standard delivery. hope this helps someone
    Last edited by sitcom321; 07-12-2012 at 6:34 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

279Posts Today

2,542Users online

Martin's Twitter