Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > apple i pad mini bad apple information (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
apple i pad mini bad apple information
Views: 1,121
# 1
phebe3
Old 06-12-2012, 8:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default apple i pad mini bad apple information

I am STEAMING!...just phoned the apple store to order an apple i pad mini..have waited until now cos of money and also was worried that if daughter got it for xmas, and wasn't usinguntil xmas, wasn;t sure of rights if it didn't work properly. Wasn't concerned as web site shows IN STOCK. Well, yes, they are in stock...in AMERICA..and have to be shipped over so don't get here if you order today until beginning of january 2013. am devastated as it's ALL daughter wants for xmas and she has saved and saved money to put towards as we can't afford to buy it outright for her for xmas.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Lifeforms
Old 06-12-2012, 9:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The UK apple store website clearly shows 2 weeks dispatch. It has pretty much since the week before it came out.

It's a new product, out only a couple of months. Since the year dot with apple products there is never enough available for the Xmas market demand. You should've ordered it earlier, or start to trawl around the local apple shops and see if they're in store. Try places like tescos, or pc world (pc world can't online delivery, but may click and collect in stores)
You might even get lucky, it says dispatched in two weeks, depending if that 2 week dispatch is from there to over here to be sent on to you, then that gives 4 days before xmas to get it.
# 3
BlueFox
Old 06-12-2012, 9:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's not a nice situation for you and for that you have my sympathies.

But, it's not really Apple's fault you waited until now to buy it, I saw a message on their website a couple of weeks ago which said if you want an iPad Mini by christmas you needed to order it by 28 November.

The iPad Mini has been flying off the shelves and are very hard to get hold of. Your best bet would have been ordering direct from Apple as they only take payment when it's dispatched.

My advice would be to keep an eye on John Lewis' website as they have intermittent stock but I imagine there are lots of people doing the same
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueFox For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
jaydeeuk1
Old 06-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Ebay with their inflated prices probably your best hope.
With a paltry 90 brake horse power, hills in 5th gear can be power sappingly mundane and overtaking articulated lorries can become a long drawn out experience. Not my words Carrol, but the words of Top Gear Magazine
# 5
ellies angel
Old 06-12-2012, 10:16 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What about John Lewis?
l love this site!!
# 6
iSaving
Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Again I reiterate the sympathies of others here, however it is sold out pretty much everywhere, and unless you're prepared to pick it up off Amazon Marketplace for about 50 more, you'll be very hard pressed to get one. John Lewis, Argos etc are all sold out.

All that being said, you cannot possibly blame Apple. It appears you have visited the Apple.com US store (Dollars should have been a give away) as the UK store has been listing at "Dispatched in 2 weeks" almost since release.

If you do bite the bullet and order from Apple now, there's an outside chance you'll get it in time for Christmas. Dispatch should happen by 20th (Thursday), it will then be dispatched from a more local logistics depot (usually in Ireland) and you could well have it on Christmas Eve - bit of a long shot though.
The Following User Says Thank You to iSaving For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
shazza39
Old 06-12-2012, 12:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

phebe3 you can go on and reserve one to be sent to your nearest Apple store. There is no guarantee however that you would even get one. But you reserve it and if they email you before 9pm that night it will be at that Apple store to be collected the next day. You don't pay anything upfront so you have nothing to lose. You will only hear from them if it is available for collection.
Good luck
# 8
BlueFox
Old 06-12-2012, 12:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza39 View Post
phebe3 you can go on and reserve one to be sent to your nearest Apple store. There is no guarantee however that you would even get one. But you reserve it and if they email you before 9pm that night it will be at that Apple store to be collected the next day. You don't pay anything upfront so you have nothing to lose. You will only hear from them if it is available for collection.
Good luck
I think this only applies to the iPhone 5, not iPad.
# 9
shazza39
Old 06-12-2012, 12:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
I think this only applies to the iPhone 5, not iPad.
Oh does it? I was told this when I ordered the iPhone 5, I just assumed it was every product.
Well good luck then trying to find one!
# 10
motorguy
Old 06-12-2012, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phebe3 View Post
I am STEAMING!...just phoned the apple store to order an apple i pad mini..have waited until now cos of money and also was worried that if daughter got it for xmas, and wasn't usinguntil xmas, wasn;t sure of rights if it didn't work properly. Wasn't concerned as web site shows IN STOCK. Well, yes, they are in stock...in AMERICA..and have to be shipped over so don't get here if you order today until beginning of january 2013. am devastated as it's ALL daughter wants for xmas and she has saved and saved money to put towards as we can't afford to buy it outright for her for xmas.
Whilst i appreciate the financial constraints your under, you cant really blame Apple can you?
Regards

Paul
# 11
chunkychocky
Old 06-12-2012, 2:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Depending upon which one you want PC World have some in stock online for home delivery. If not one of those, then try local shops: Apple store, John Lewis, PC World, Currys, HMV etc. Even if they are out of stock online they may have what you want in a local store.
The Following User Says Thank You to chunkychocky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
notbritishgas
Old 06-12-2012, 3:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You do not say if you want 16GB or 32 GB but the latter seems to be available.

Use this link and it will update you when stock is available.

www.ipad-stock.co.uk/checker-ipad-mini-wifi
# 13
penrhyn
Old 06-12-2012, 4:41 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

What about a Nexus 7?
The night is dark and full of terrors.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penrhyn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
grizzly1911
Old 06-12-2012, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penrhyn View Post
what about a nexus 7?:d
+1.:d:d.........
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
# 15
phebe3
Old 06-12-2012, 5:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sorted...am getting it direct from the States...luckily have contacts over there and someone visiting...whew! I realise it said 2 weeks dispatch...I thought it meant to my HOUSE, not England! All the other stores selling say Out of Stock, so cos it didn't say that I presumed meant was in stock...which i suppose it is but not in England! She's only decided recently she wanted one, hence not really been looking at Apple store until recently... and tbh am not a techie person and didn't even realise was a new product as have never really got into Apple stuff, except for i pod! Ah well, she may have one for xmas after all and I believe it will be slightly cheaper due to exchange rate....
# 16
agrinnall
Old 06-12-2012, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phebe3 View Post
I believe it will be slightly cheaper due to exchange rate....
Except of course you will probably have to pay some or all of customs duty, excise duty and import VAT.

See point 2.2

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...00014#P26_2848
# 17
vyle
Old 06-12-2012, 9:25 PM

My local JL had eight of the 32gb ones in stock today.
# 18
mrsg26
Old 06-12-2012, 9:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I called the local apple store today and they had them in stock and I went and collected it from there they had 3 left at 9.30am. How does that work with the charger then if you purchase from America would you need to get a converter plug?
# 19
Goldiegirl
Old 06-12-2012, 9:51 PM

I've had my iPad mini for 4 weeks.

My first port of call was the Apple store. They only had the 64gb version, but I only wanted 16gb. I then went round to John Lewis, who were out of stock.

When I got home, I looked online. PC World had the 16gb version, so I ordered it, and it was delivered by courier the next day for only 3.99 delivery charge.

My suggestion is to shop around, and look online, not just stick to the Apple Store.
# 20
sitcom321
Old 07-12-2012, 6:21 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have just had an email from Argos to say ipad mini 16gb now in stock i have just been on website now and ordered one which is being delivered tomorrow 269 plus 3 for next day delivery, free delivery if you order standard delivery. hope this helps someone

Last edited by sitcom321; 07-12-2012 at 6:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sitcom321 For This Useful Post: Show me >>