IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Solar Panel Guide Discussion
Views: 207,631
# 1881
orrery
Old 15-10-2012, 9:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Pierpoint View Post
... amid my remarks about "if I needed somewhere safe to keep my money, I would use a bank".
Did they not point out that leaving your money with a power utility IS safer than a bank these days, and probably pays about as much interest?
4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TL, SolarImmersion, Nissan Leaf
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to orrery For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1882
grahamc2003
Old 15-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Pierpoint View Post
I have always challenged attempts to mess about with my direct debit.
This usually means a good natured Dutch auction amid my remarks about "if I needed somewhere safe to keep my money, I would use a bank".

I
That's quite a quaint concept. Those were the days - when banks were safe and Britain ruled the waves.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grahamc2003 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1883
shafeeq
Old 30-10-2012, 2:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafeeq View Post
Last week I emailed the above person stating that I have not heard anything. This is the reply I got yesterday

"I apologise for the delay in response that you are experiencing for your meter exchange. Unfortunately this is not something that we deal with in our department, however I have escalated the matter for you to ensure a call back is made. I can advise however that it is noted on our systems that you have fulfilled your responsibility and any delay is down to Npower. I would therefore keep this email as written confirmation that we have acknowledged you have done your part in this process.

Kind Regards,
Senior Advisor - FIT Admin Team"

Last time they said to contact them if I don;t hear anything now they are saying it's not their department...... any they state that I have fulfilled my responsibility.. we will see

Shafeeq
And merry go around continues.... I had a letter asking to phone this number to get the meter changed. So I phoned today. Spoke to advisor.. Oh yes.. first step is that we will fit and export meter... Ill put you to the team that will do this. So he put me to through microgeneration team, he say it's nothing to do with them..

They said they will email to right department.. Still nothing...

Shafeeq
From Sheffield. 3kwp YingLi Panda Series Solar Panels with SMA 3000-20 TL Inverter
# 1884
shafeeq
Old 30-10-2012, 2:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
The Green Hornet

Thank you, i had an email informing me and i was hoing to wait for the letter. Yes the tarrif I was on will be ending on 26th now, few extra days.

thanks

My tarif ends on 26th November.. when is the best time to change the tarif or provider?

Shafeeq
From Sheffield. 3kwp YingLi Panda Series Solar Panels with SMA 3000-20 TL Inverter
# 1885
zeupater
Old 30-10-2012, 5:26 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
My tarif ends on 26th November.. when is the best time to change the tarif or provider?

Shafeeq
Hi

From experience, I'd guess that late summer is probably the best time historically, that's probably why many of the tariffs which have been available recently have been designed to have a renewal date which would be after an anticipated round of increases ... (ie, November etc) ...

HTH
Z
"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
The Following User Says Thank You to zeupater For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1886
shafeeq
Old 04-12-2012, 2:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
And merry go around continues.... I had a letter asking to phone this number to get the meter changed. So I phoned today. Spoke to advisor.. Oh yes.. first step is that we will fit and export meter... Ill put you to the team that will do this. So he put me to through microgeneration team, he say it's nothing to do with them..

They said they will email to right department.. Still nothing...

Shafeeq
I just had a phone call from Npower. They are refusing to change the meter, saying they will only change the meter if it goes back.

They say my meter is not going back. They want me to take a reading everyday next 10 days. I told them it's winter, It's not generating enough for the meter to go back.

They won't belive me. oh well... what more can I do...

I will take the reading every day next 10 days. They will phone back. They will say the meter is not going back so they won't change it.....

Shafeeq
# 1887
EricMears
Old 04-12-2012, 3:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I just had a phone call from Npower. They are refusing to change the meter, saying they will only change the meter if it goes back.

They say my meter is not going back. They want me to take a reading everyday next 10 days. I told them it's winter, It's not generating enough for the meter to go back.

I will take the reading every day next 10 days. They will phone back. They will say the meter is not going back so they won't change it.....

Shafeeq

Sounds to me like the best possible outcome for you !

You know your meter is faulty and that it's benfitting you.
You have told nPower this and they have decided to take no action.
There's no way they can turn round in a few years time and claim back all the money that you've 'cheated' out of them.
N Derbyshire.
4kwp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EricMears For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1888
shafeeq
Old 04-12-2012, 3:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMears View Post
Sounds to me like the best possible outcome for you !

You know your meter is faulty and that it's benfitting you.
You have told nPower this and they have decided to take no action.
There's no way they can turn round in a few years time and claim back all the money that you've 'cheated' out of them.
Hi EricMears

Yes... I know if it stays same. It is good news for me. I have tried my best. Sine June I have used about 106 Kwh.. I will take the meter reading for next 10 days. will get a phone call.. they will say your meter reading has gone up. So no point to change meter.. oh well

Shafeeq
The Following User Says Thank You to shafeeq For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1889
Martyn1981
Old 04-12-2012, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Hi EricMears

Yes... I know if it stays same. It is good news for me. I have tried my best. Sine June I have used about 106 Kwh.. I will take the meter reading for next 10 days. will get a phone call.. they will say your meter reading has gone up. So no point to change meter.. oh well

Shafeeq
Hiya Shafeeq, any chance you can get the discussion with Npower shifted to e-mail so it's documented.

I know you're not trying to stitch them up, but I can't see how they could back date any future decision, if you've got in writing (sort of!) that you are wrong! As and when they finally come after you, you'll probably be in a position to refuse. Maybe?

Mart.
Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (2.4 ESE & 1.18 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martyn1981 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1890
shafeeq
Old 04-12-2012, 3:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn1981 View Post
Hiya Shafeeq, any chance you can get the discussion with Npower shifted to e-mail so it's documented.

I know you're not trying to stitch them up, but I can't see how they could back date any future decision, if you've got in writing (sort of!) that you are wrong! As and when they finally come after you, you'll probably be in a position to refuse. Maybe?

Mart.
Hi Mart.

Thanks for the input. I had few email trail informing them of meter going back. This adviser who phoned me, I tried to get her name, she only gived me her first name and initial of surname.

When she phones for 10 day meter reading, I will ask her to confirm on email.

Unless in future in Summer when I will hardly use electricity and they will confirm meter is going backward then they will use these figures to work out estimates of my daily energy usage. If they do that then I will be royally done.... Cause in Summer months the usage will be less, cause SP will generate more...

Shafeeq
# 1891
John_Pierpoint
Old 07-12-2012, 5:12 AM

Though my FiT is with British Gas, my electricity bill regularly changes supplier. They will offer a deal for (say) a year and then dump the punter back on the standard variable rate (just like a financial organisation) without even offering you the (secret?) current best deal. This best deal often does not appear on the switching sites. (these are financed by commission for, the electricity suppliers).

Of the big 5 suppliers, I have rotated round three companies and found National Power staff seem to be in a structure that is most organisation bound and least customer focussed.

How about switching suppliers and leaving the "problem" where it belongs?
# 1892
TheToothDoctor
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

You are likely to get a smart meter anyway in the next few years and it is not cost effective for the electricity providers to do this earlier for <4kWp systems. Smart meters are only compulsory for systems over 30kWp and are not supplied by the FiTs provider anyway. If you really want a smart meter you can pay to have one installed by a variety of companies independent of your electricity supplier or FITs provider.

From experience both npower and edf are not easy to deal with regarding FITs enquiries as their call centre teams have little knowledge of what they are doing and anything more than a simple application confuses them.
# 1893
Fruit and Nut Case
Old 12-12-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToothDoctor View Post
You are likely to get a smart meter anyway in the next few years and it is not cost effective for the electricity providers to do this earlier for <4kWp systems. Smart meters are only compulsory for systems over 30kWp and are not supplied by the FiTs provider anyway. If you really want a smart meter you can pay to have one installed by a variety of companies independent of your electricity supplier or FITs provider.

From experience both npower and edf are not easy to deal with regarding FITs enquiries as their call centre teams have little knowledge of what they are doing and anything more than a simple application confuses them.
Welcome to MSE.

It would be useful if you could "Quote" the post that you are responding to, otherwise what you're saying could appear like some random thought that you've had.
Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
# 1894
shafeeq
Old 15-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:

Shafeeq
I had a phone call from Npower today. I provided the readings for last ten days and some days for whole 24 hours there been 0kwh used or 1 kwh. One day i used minus 1kwh, Yesterday there was 0 generation so 5kwh was used.

Now they say meter is going backward. On 4th January they will fit another meter and meter that measures how much energy I used. I asked about smart meter but I was told Npower is not currently installing smart meters.

After that they will rebill my bill from the day i had solar panel. I told that I was not happy, I have been trying to resolve this for months. In summer I use less electricity. They said they will take that into consideration. We will see!!!!

I was told they are sending me 25 for the length of time to sort this out. Better then nothing. Im sure there is no free lunch. this will be added to my bill. If I feel the estimate is too much I will try to argue.. So might need all your help..

Shafeeq
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shafeeq For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1895
KevinG
Old 15-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
After that they will rebill my bill from the day i had solar panel. I told that I was not happy, I have been trying to resolve this for months. In summer I use less electricity. They said they will take that into consideration. We will see!!!!
Make sure they bill you based on what you have generated, not on what they estimate you should have used. This is the only fair and logical way of doing it. Are they allowed to go back further than 12 months? (Sorry, I don't know when you had the panels installed without checking back over previous posts.)
2kWp (10*200W Kioto, Mastervolt Sunmaster XS2000, rated output 1575W), SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37 pitch, installed 9-Jun-2011 (pvoutput.org userid 7263)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinG For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1896
shafeeq
Old 15-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
Make sure they bill you based on what you have generated, not on what they estimate you should have used. This is the only fair and logical way of doing it. Are they allowed to go back further than 12 months? (Sorry, I don't know when you had the panels installed without checking back over previous posts.)
Hi Kevin

The solar panel were installed on 6th June 2012. My usual energy usage is low. From Jan to December 2011 I have used 1737kwh.

Since I had solar panels installed it has generated from 7th June to 12.15pm today 1140kwh.

So looking at past bills my reading on 12 Jan 2012 to 6th June I have used 705kwh.

On the meter only the last digit goes back ward. for example if my meter reading is 70012, Solar panel has generated 4 kwh the meter will go back to 70010 and not further back.

If the meter was on 70019 and I use 2 kwh the meter will go up to 70020. Next day If Solar Panel generate 10 kwh the meter will stay on 70020. It won't go full 10 Kwh back.

After the solar panel were installed and due to meter going backward. I have used from 7th June 2012 to 15 December 2012 130kwh.

Since June I had solar panel I have notified Npower of meter going back. I have been getting no where. At last someone took incharge of the situation now. 10 days I go I was told they don't believe my meter goes back. I was told I use low electricity and cause of Solar Panels my usage is low. Then I was told to keep daily reading and I will get a call back from them. After 10 days of reading now they say meter goes back.

They are aware I have made contact and had difficulty hence they sending me 25 for the trouble.

The person says she will take charge from now, make sure meter is changed (on 4th Jan.) and another meter will be installed to see how much electricity I use. From there they will calculate my usage. This is when I said hold on. In summer I would use less electricity. She says she will consider all that.

Maybe for the first 10 days I just have to keep my usage low as possible.

I don't mind paying fair amount but not hit with a big bill... we will wait and see...

Shafeeq

Last edited by shafeeq; 15-12-2012 at 12:53 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shafeeq For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1897
KevinG
Old 16-12-2012, 6:57 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
On the meter only the last digit goes back ward. for example if my meter reading is 70012, Solar panel has generated 4 kwh the meter will go back to 70010 and not further back.
Ah, that's a tricky one then, they can't use the total generated to indicate how far backwards the meter has gone. In the circumstances (and I'm sure you agree) I don't think they should be back-billing you at all.
2kWp (10*200W Kioto, Mastervolt Sunmaster XS2000, rated output 1575W), SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37 pitch, installed 9-Jun-2011 (pvoutput.org userid 7263)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KevinG For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1898
Martyn1981
Old 16-12-2012, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
Ah, that's a tricky one then, they can't use the total generated to indicate how far backwards the meter has gone. In the circumstances (and I'm sure you agree) I don't think they should be back-billing you at all.
Totally agree. Shafeeq is the one that's kept pushing for resolution, even after being told straight that he is wrong.

With a backwards meter, that only reverses the 'units' cog, it's going to be very difficult to estimate actual consumption.

@Shafeeq - Given the relatively small amount of money involved, your efforts to resolve, their efforts to dismiss without action etc, perhaps you should say you are not happy, then apply the "What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander" approach and offer them a goodwill gesture of 25!

Try arguing that following their advice would have lengthened the problem, and increased the amount of 'energy debt' you would have been in (caused directly by their inaction). Also that you have spent another 10 days monitoring the equipment in order to help them out.

Best of luck.

Mart.
Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (2.4 ESE & 1.18 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martyn1981 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1899
shafeeq
Old 16-12-2012, 5:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn1981 View Post
@Shafeeq - Given the relatively small amount of money involved, your efforts to resolve, their efforts to dismiss without action etc, perhaps you should say you are not happy, then apply the "What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander" approach and offer them a goodwill gesture of 25!

Try arguing that following their advice would have lengthened the problem, and increased the amount of 'energy debt' you would have been in (caused directly by their inaction). Also that you have spent another 10 days monitoring the equipment in order to help them out.

Best of luck.

Mart.
HI Mart.

Thanks for useful help as always. So do you think is to wait for them to change the meter, after they estimate the bill then give them above argument?

Also do you think I should request for Economy 7 meter, since I have SP, during the day it will usually provide electricity and at night if use energy then it will be cheaper? or should I just leave it as it is.

Thanks again
Shafeeq
# 1900
John_Pierpoint
Old 16-12-2012, 10:46 PM

As someone who has PV panels and economy 7, it very much depends on what you intend to do between 0:01 & 07:00 in the small hours of the morning.

I have managed to switch economy 7 consumption to noon consumption during the summer (ie hot water, dish & clothes washing plus a drier) even in the winter some of that can be done at noon if the immersion is 1,000 watts or you fit a transformer. [Today I was running the washing machine and a 700 watt radiant heater, with minimal import.] Economy 7 makes the day time electricity more expensive.
Now if you are intending to go down the ground source heat pump route and heat your floor slab - Economy 7 makes sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John_Pierpoint For This Useful Post: Show me >>