Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Phone keeps ringing after picking up handset. (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Phone keeps ringing after picking up handset.
Views: 2,447
# 1
rhyl
Old 04-12-2012, 11:50 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Phone keeps ringing after picking up handset.

Help!

My phone rings and I pick it up - but the phone and the base keep ringing and I cannot answer the phone. Do I need to buy a new phone set? or can I fix this myself. Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
macman
Old 04-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Is it just the release button on the base sticking down a bit?
No free lunch, and no free laptop
The Following User Says Thank You to macman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
rhyl
Old 04-12-2012, 12:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman View Post
Is it just the release button on the base sticking down a bit?

Thanks macman. No the release button is firmly fixed onto the base. It slots into the insert on the bottom of the phone.
The phone is a BT Synergy 3505.
# 4
Heinz
Old 04-12-2012, 1:26 PM

The BT Synergy 3505 is a cordless phone that can be programmed to either auto-answer when picked up off the cradle ('Auto Talk') or require the user to pick it up and then push the Talk button to answer it. Which is yours programmed for?

http://www.ukcordless.co.uk/manuals/...er%20Guide.pdf (see Page 26)
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
I will continue to help with Orchid programming whenever possible.

Last edited by Heinz; 04-12-2012 at 1:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heinz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
rhyl
Old 04-12-2012, 3:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
The BT Synergy 3505 is a cordless phone that can be programmed to either auto-answer when picked up off the cradle ('Auto Talk') or require the user to pick it up and then push the Talk button to answer it. Which is yours programmed for?

Thanks for that Heinz. Sadly not working. Tried re-programming too. I note this model is from 2005 and now discontinued by BT so maybe it's just reached the end of its life?
I'm now looking at new hand-sets. Thinking about the Panasonic KX-TG6724EM as it has a £30 reduction at the moment. I've read that Siemens is the best brand though so am a bit unsure at the moment what to do next.
# 6
rhyl
Old 05-12-2012, 6:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I pick up the phone and both the phone and the base just keep on ringing. I have to go into the next room and pick up one of the other phones (it's a triple set) in order to receive and speak. Very annoying!!
# 7
Heinz
Old 05-12-2012, 8:53 AM

It may be that the handset has somehow become unregistered from the base and re-registering it may solve the ptroblem.

Alternatively, the handsets are interchangeable so you could just put the 'faulty' handset away in a drawer and use one of the other 2 with the base station.
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heinz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
yangptangkipperbang
Old 05-12-2012, 9:30 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/33081...ype=pla&crdt=0

???
# 9
Heinz
Old 05-12-2012, 9:58 AM

Cheaper than that if you're adept at Ebay bidding:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nk...at=0&_from=R40
# 10
rhyl
Old 05-12-2012, 10:42 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
It may be that the handset has somehow become unregistered from the base and re-registering it may solve the ptroblem.

Alternatively, the handsets are interchangeable so you could just put the 'faulty' handset away in a drawer and use one of the other 2 with the base station.

Many thanks. Have tried interchanging phones but the problem persists. This confirms it must be the base that's the problem.

The re-registering bit sounded possible so gave it a go. Alas no cigar. Am putting my coat on now and heading off to Argos for a Panasonic set and will ditch this one. Thanks again for the help.
# 11
Heinz
Old 05-12-2012, 12:47 PM

By the sound of your forum name, you're on the opposite side of the country to me but I really wish that wasn't so because your Synergy's apparent problem would be a real 'there must be a fix for that' issue for me.

Never mind, you're probably making the right choice for a replacement so good luck with that.
# 12
rhyl
Old 05-12-2012, 2:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
By the sound of your forum name, you're on the opposite side of the country to me but I really wish that wasn't so because your Synergy's apparent problem would be a real 'there must be a fix for that' issue for me.

Never mind, you're probably making the right choice for a replacement so good luck with that.

Thanks Heinz. I too feel there may be a fix but I couldn't sort it so went out to Argos this morning and bought a new Panasonic KX TG6724EM for just short of £70. 4 phones and they gave me a free £5 voucher for spending over £50 - so not bad. Once again, thanks for your help

Last edited by rhyl; 05-12-2012 at 10:53 PM.