Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Charities > Anyone know about foodbanks? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Anyone know about foodbanks?
Views: 1,077
# 1
Hobb
Old 04-12-2012, 4:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Anyone know about foodbanks?

Hi. I'm a newbie on here.

Does anyone have any experience with foodbanks please? Things are a little tough at the moment, and the cupboards are just about bare.

I know there are several foodbanks in the local area, but I was wondering how you apply to them if anyone knows.

Thanks.

I hope I've posted this in the right place btw.

Last edited by Hobb; 04-12-2012 at 4:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
HappyMJ
Old 04-12-2012, 4:40 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You really need to be referred to them by the job centre or benefits agency maybe your housing association or somewhere else. Some towns have a soup kitchen where you can drop in for a free meal and then ask about some food for the next few days. They will then refer you to the correct place. You should be able to do an internet search to see what is around your area.
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyMJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Hobb
Old 04-12-2012, 5:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMJ View Post
You really need to be referred to them by the job centre or benefits agency maybe your housing association or somewhere else. Some towns have a soup kitchen where you can drop in for a free meal and then ask about some food for the next few days. They will then refer you to the correct place. You should be able to do an internet search to see what is around your area.
Thanks MJ. I'm on ESA so my contact with benefits is minimum. Also in council housing. But I'll search around and see what I can find.
# 4
HappyMJ
Old 04-12-2012, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
Thanks MJ. I'm on ESA so my contact with benefits is minimum. Also in council housing. But I'll search around and see what I can find.
You can apply for a crisis loan. At that point you can ask about emergency food banks and the jobcentre should refer you there whilst you wait for your crisis loan to be approved. You will only get enough food for 3 days though and you aren't supposed to be referred very often. Every local food bank has it's own limits. It's supposed to be there for emergencies only such as benefits payments not being paid on time. It isn't supposed to be used as a benefit supplement.
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyMJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Hobb
Old 04-12-2012, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMJ View Post
You can apply for a crisis loan. At that point you can ask about emergency food banks and the jobcentre should refer you there whilst you wait for your crisis loan to be approved. You will only get enough food for 3 days though and you aren't supposed to be referred very often. Every local food bank has it's own limits. It's supposed to be there for emergencies only such as benefits payments not being paid on time. It isn't supposed to be used as a benefit supplement.
That's fine thanks. My ESA was stopped mid-October (change from contribution to income based) and was my sole income, so the cupboards really are getting a bit bare.

Thanks anyway.
# 6
WantToBeSE
Old 04-12-2012, 5:20 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hobb, you can also have a look on Facebook for your local foodbank. Maybe you could write a message on their wall, or PM the person who runs it.

My local foodbank is run by the local Christian Fellowship, and they provide a phone number on their website that you can call to ask for help from the foodbank. It may be worth looking to see if yours offers the same.

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to WantToBeSE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
bloss0m
Old 04-12-2012, 5:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The Trussle trust run many of them

http://www.trusselltrust.org/start-a-foodbank

as said I think you need to be refereed to cut down on fraud, check also to see whether you have all benefits you are entitled to, may get on a utility tariff where you can get 130 off your bill I forgot the name of what its called, must check
The Following User Says Thank You to bloss0m For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Mojisola
Old 04-12-2012, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
That's fine thanks. My ESA was stopped mid-October (change from contribution to income based) and was my sole income, so the cupboards really are getting a bit bare.
Have you had help from anyone to see what other benefits you could apply for? If you have no other income and less than 6k in capital, you should be able to claim something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mojisola For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Hobb
Old 04-12-2012, 6:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks everyone. I'll follow up on all the comments.
# 10
Savvy_Sue
Old 04-12-2012, 8:28 PM

Referral doesn't have to be from benefits: could be GP, local minister, health visitor if there are children - usually quite a wide range, as I understand it.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

The Isle of Man is not as warm as the Canary Islands!
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy_Sue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Hobb
Old 04-12-2012, 9:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy_Sue View Post
Referral doesn't have to be from benefits: could be GP, local minister, health visitor if there are children - usually quite a wide range, as I understand it.
Again, many thanks.
# 12
inkie
Old 05-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

each food bank will have their own method of referral. I am a minister and at our church we offer 3 day emergency food parcels as a one off for,people in food crisis. We work on referral only, and have a special referral form for agencies to fill in, to verify the need. I know that a lot of the 'food bank' brand food banks work on. Similar basis and will only give food in exchange for a voucher issued by a referring agency. Hope you manage to get sorted with something.
The Following User Says Thank You to inkie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
jollyme
Old 05-12-2012, 8:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Citizens Advice can refer in my area
The Following User Says Thank You to jollyme For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Hobb
Old 05-12-2012, 9:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Many thanks folks, already followed your advice and have made contact with a couple of foodbanks. I'm pretty sure one of them will be able to help if/when the time comes.

Thanks all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
SEE
Old 05-12-2012, 10:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Utterly heartbreaking reading these stories. Not too well off myself, but I'm beginning to think Britain is becoming a third world country
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Halifax, taking the Xtra since 1853:rolleyes:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
# 16
Mojisola
Old 05-12-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post
Utterly heartbreaking reading these stories. Not too well off myself, but I'm beginning to think Britain is becoming a third world country
Add to the increase in use of foodbanks, the stories about people starting to live in their cars because they need a car for work but can't afford a car and rent and you will wonder where the country is heading.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mojisola For This Useful Post: Show me >>