Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 4th Dec 12, 4:40 PM
    • 19,364 Posts
    • 16,014 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    • 4th Dec 12, 4:40 PM
    • 4th Dec 12, 4:40 PM
    You really need to be referred to them by the job centre or benefits agency maybe your housing association or somewhere else. Some towns have a soup kitchen where you can drop in for a free meal and then ask about some food for the next few days. They will then refer you to the correct place. You should be able to do an internet search to see what is around your area.

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
  • Hobb
    • 4th Dec 12, 5:08 PM
    • 4th Dec 12, 5:08 PM
    You really need to be referred to them by the job centre or benefits agency maybe your housing association or somewhere else. Some towns have a soup kitchen where you can drop in for a free meal and then ask about some food for the next few days. They will then refer you to the correct place. You should be able to do an internet search to see what is around your area.
    Originally posted by HappyMJ
    Thanks MJ. I'm on ESA so my contact with benefits is minimum. Also in council housing. But I'll search around and see what I can find.
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 4th Dec 12, 5:12 PM
    • 19,364 Posts
    • 16,014 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    • 4th Dec 12, 5:12 PM
    • 4th Dec 12, 5:12 PM
    Thanks MJ. I'm on ESA so my contact with benefits is minimum. Also in council housing. But I'll search around and see what I can find.
    Originally posted by Hobb
    You can apply for a crisis loan. At that point you can ask about emergency food banks and the jobcentre should refer you there whilst you wait for your crisis loan to be approved. You will only get enough food for 3 days though and you aren't supposed to be referred very often. Every local food bank has it's own limits. It's supposed to be there for emergencies only such as benefits payments not being paid on time. It isn't supposed to be used as a benefit supplement.

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
  • Hobb
    • 4th Dec 12, 5:15 PM
    • 4th Dec 12, 5:15 PM
    You can apply for a crisis loan. At that point you can ask about emergency food banks and the jobcentre should refer you there whilst you wait for your crisis loan to be approved. You will only get enough food for 3 days though and you aren't supposed to be referred very often. Every local food bank has it's own limits. It's supposed to be there for emergencies only such as benefits payments not being paid on time. It isn't supposed to be used as a benefit supplement.
    Originally posted by HappyMJ
    That's fine thanks. My ESA was stopped mid-October (change from contribution to income based) and was my sole income, so the cupboards really are getting a bit bare.

Thanks anyway.
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 4th Dec 12, 5:20 PM
    • 6,875 Posts
    • 27,392 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    • 4th Dec 12, 5:20 PM
    • 4th Dec 12, 5:20 PM
    Hobb, you can also have a look on Facebook for your local foodbank. Maybe you could write a message on their wall, or PM the person who runs it.

My local foodbank is run by the local Christian Fellowship, and they provide a phone number on their website that you can call to ask for help from the foodbank. It may be worth looking to see if yours offers the same.

Good luck
    #20- 3/6 month emergency fund challenge.
    • bloss0m
    • By bloss0m 4th Dec 12, 5:55 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 1,061 Thanks
    bloss0m
    • 4th Dec 12, 5:55 PM
    • 4th Dec 12, 5:55 PM
    The Trussle trust run many of them

http://www.trusselltrust.org/start-a-foodbank

as said I think you need to be refereed to cut down on fraud, check also to see whether you have all benefits you are entitled to, may get on a utility tariff where you can get £130 off your bill I forgot the name of what its called, must check
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 4th Dec 12, 6:07 PM
    • 24,537 Posts
    • 62,393 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 4th Dec 12, 6:07 PM
    • 4th Dec 12, 6:07 PM
    That's fine thanks. My ESA was stopped mid-October (change from contribution to income based) and was my sole income, so the cupboards really are getting a bit bare.
    Originally posted by Hobb
    Have you had help from anyone to see what other benefits you could apply for? If you have no other income and less than £6k in capital, you should be able to claim something.
  • Hobb
    • 4th Dec 12, 6:23 PM
    • 4th Dec 12, 6:23 PM
    Thanks everyone. I'll follow up on all the comments.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 4th Dec 12, 8:28 PM
    • 36,121 Posts
    • 32,274 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Referral doesn't have to be from benefits: could be GP, local minister, health visitor if there are children - usually quite a wide range, as I understand it.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Still knitting! Aiming to finish this cardigan before I get my bus pass!
  • Hobb
    Referral doesn't have to be from benefits: could be GP, local minister, health visitor if there are children - usually quite a wide range, as I understand it.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Again, many thanks.
    • inkie
    • By inkie 5th Dec 12, 12:13 AM
    • 2,511 Posts
    • 2,354 Thanks
    inkie
    each food bank will have their own method of referral. I am a minister and at our church we offer 3 day emergency food parcels as a one off for,people in food crisis. We work on referral only, and have a special referral form for agencies to fill in, to verify the need. I know that a lot of the 'food bank' brand food banks work on. Similar basis and will only give food in exchange for a voucher issued by a referring agency. Hope you manage to get sorted with something.
  • jollyme
    Citizens Advice can refer in my area
  • Hobb
    Many thanks folks, already followed your advice and have made contact with a couple of foodbanks. I'm pretty sure one of them will be able to help if/when the time comes.

Thanks all.
  • SEE
    Utterly heartbreaking reading these stories. Not too well off myself, but I'm beginning to think Britain is becoming a third world country
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Halifax, taking the Xtra since 1853:rolleyes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 5th Dec 12, 10:55 PM
    • 24,537 Posts
    • 62,393 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Utterly heartbreaking reading these stories. Not too well off myself, but I'm beginning to think Britain is becoming a third world country
    Originally posted by SEE
    Add to the increase in use of foodbanks, the stories about people starting to live in their cars because they need a car for work but can't afford a car and rent and you will wonder where the country is heading.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,726Posts Today

7,270Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If you just listened to @BBCRadio4 you and yours, here's more info on the new money & mental health policy institute https://t.co/qnvONjGx7G

• Ill be going in to Call You & Yours on @BBCRadio4 at 12:15 to discuss debt & mental health (and feverishly writing my weekly email too)

• Leicester win the DOUBLE... the Premier League and the World Snooker Championship. Everyone's a fox tonight!

• Follow Martin