MSE News: Parents' anger over tuition fees U-turn

Options
"MPs who broke a tuition fees pledge not to raise costs, shouldn't stand for re-election, reveals a new poll..."

Comments

• Atidi
    Atidi Posts: 943 Forumite
    edited 21 November 2012 at 7:38PM
    Options
    MPs who broke a pledge not to raise tuition fees shouldn't stand for re-election, according to a poll of parents published today.
    58% of parents with children aged 18 and under say MPs who broke the pledge should not stand at the 2015 general election

45% of parents with children aged 18 and under think MPs who broke this pledge should resign
    ... but almost 4 in 10 of parents who responded did not rule out voting in their MP again despite reneging on their pledge over tuition fees.

They should definitely be allowed to stand again if they wish.

The voting population should decide who they then vote for ... not just a few disgruntled parents. That's what democracy is all about isn't it?
  • Fella
    Fella Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A poll published by the National Union Of Students?

I'm gobsmacked to find that the results didn't favour MPs who raised tuition fees. Whodda thought it. Etc.
  • amstel2
    amstel2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think its about time all party manifetos & promises should be subject to the Trade Descriptions Act & ASA regulations e.g. legal, honest, & truthful.

Therefore, the liar Nick Clegg & the Lib Dems could have been sued & prosecuted.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree, amstel2.
    I think that there are a few times when you can't forsee what will happen in which case going back on a manifesto policy might be reasonable (I'd be tempted to say that they should hold a referendum / re-election in these few cases), but what really got me about the tuition fees was that these were personal pledges made my the prospecive MPs. They said, as individuals, that they wouldn't do it and they did. Why say they wouldn't if they couldn't guarantee it?
    A Liberal Democrats spokesman says: "As a party we signed a pledge that talked about what we would do in opposition without acknowledging what could happen in a coalition."
    The whole ethos of the Lib Dems has been to get into a coalition (to show people how good they are!), so I fail to see that they never thought of this scenario when making this pledge.
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Of course they should stand and the voters can hold them to account. The Labour party has twice broken manifesto pledges on tuition fees. Should those MPs be removed from standing as well? If you add in those politicians who have increased VAT after 'having no plans to do so' we would be left with next to no one to vote for.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    'More than six in ten (62%) would not vote for an MP who broke this pledge. '

I think it'll be a lot more than that not voting for such an MP at the next election - seeing as they are talking about the Liberal Democrats, who are going to get wiped out anyway!
  • mr_jrt
    mr_jrt Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you didn't want tuition fees you should have voted for a Lib Dem majority then. They didn't win so had to compromise. I fail to see why so many seemingly intelligent people have trouble understanding this simple concept.

In truth, the 9K is on such advantageous terms it's basically a graduate tax in all but name. I'm still paying off my post-1998 fees (2001-2004, fyi) and will be doing so for the next 10 years at the very least. It's not a great hardship as the interest rate is very, very low...and the new 9K loans have even better terms.

Ideally there would be no fees...but I view the the compromise that was made as taking the sting out of the worst that could have happened.
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Options
    Having zero fees would've been unworkable. If the UK offered it to home students, we'd have had to offer it to every EU student also.

Which is precisely why if Scotland gets independence, they will not be able to offer free tuition to their students.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Taiko wrote: »
    Having zero fees would've been unworkable. If the UK offered it to home students, we'd have had to offer it to every EU student also.

Which is precisely why if Scotland gets independence, they will not be able to offer free tuition to their students.

How does Finland /Ireland/Denmark/Sweden/Austria manage to offer free tuition to their students then?;) Looks like there must be a way round these problems!
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Options
    Name me a couple internationally acclaimed universities within those countries?

The nearest to the top in any rankings I've seen has been Copenhagen, and that's at #51.

Then factor in the domestic population, as that will make up the core of the student body. Students will usually go overseas based on prestige, although cost is now starting to creep into it. With some more famous universities in Scotland, there would be an increase in their applications.

Have to also factor in the number of English students who already go north of the border for university. With all those factors, I wouldn't think Scotland could afford it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure