IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
50k to save for 6 months
Views: 665
# 1
CrazyHorseB
Old 14-11-2012, 12:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default 50k to save for 6 months

I'm switching mortgage deals to the Tesco 2yr fixed at 1.99% and will be borrowing an additional 50k as part of the remortgage for a house extension we intend doing next year. Where/how should I invest it for 6 months?

Most of my ISA allowance is full (I could squeeze a few thousand in).

I obvously need fairly instant access and no bonus deals because I'll want it in 6 months.

I don't mind splitting it up a bit e.g. I could spread 15k into 3 Lloyds Vantage accounts at 3% + a Santader 123.

The best other savings accounts seem to be 2.4-2.5% (which is more than the 1.99% I'm paying on the mortgage anyway). Is there anything i'm not thinking of?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
badger09
Old 14-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHorseB View Post
I'm switching mortgage deals to the Tesco 2yr fixed at 1.99% and will be borrowing an additional 50k as part of the remortgage for a house extension we intend doing next year. Where/how should I invest it for 6 months?

Most of my ISA allowance is full (I could squeeze a few thousand in).

I obvously need fairly instant access and no bonus deals because I'll want it in 6 months.

I don't mind splitting it up a bit e.g. I could spread 15k into 3 Lloyds Vantage accounts at 3% + a Santader 123.

The best other savings accounts seem to be 2.4-2.5% (which is more than the 1.99% I'm paying on the mortgage anyway). Is there anything i'm not thinking of?

6 months is too short to invest. In addition to Lloyds & Santander as above, you could open the best instant access account you can find and drip feed into several Regular Savers -see the link at the top of the page. There's also the Halifax Reward current account ( I think that's the right name) which pays 5 a month for cycling 1000 through it.

Yes - you're missing the fact that the 2.4 - 2.5% is before tax - unless you're a non taxpayer of course
The Following User Says Thank You to badger09 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
CrazyHorseB
Old 14-11-2012, 12:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My wife doesn't work (... sorry works really hard looking after house and ankle biters, but doesn't get paid!). So interest isn't a problem.

I also worded it badly - I didn't really mean "invest", more "put somewhere".
# 4
badger09
Old 14-11-2012, 3:50 PM

Quote:
My wife doesn't work (... sorry works really hard looking after house and ankle biters, but doesn't get paid!). So interest isn't a problem.
Phew, well recovered there In that case, it makes sense to put the taxable savings accounts in her name (as long as you trust her not to run off with it ) and register for gross interest.

Quote:
I also worded it badly - I didn't really mean "invest", more "put somewhere".
I wasn't being picky and thought you knew the difference, but many posters don't and it doesn't hurt to reinforce the message.

Good luck
# 5
psychic teabag
Old 14-11-2012, 4:43 PM

Has your wife used her ISA allowance ? Even though she doesn't pay tax, you could still put 5k in her name into, say, a Coventry 60-day-notice ISA @ 3.25%

Need to be a bit careful with reg savers : often they don't allow access before they mature, which doesn't really fit your 6-month access requirement.
# 6
calypso rhapsody
Old 14-11-2012, 5:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Don't dismiss bonus accounts because of your 6 month horizon - many will pay the bonus provided you keep the account open with the minimum balance for the 12 months.