Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lucym
    • By lucym 30th May 05, 7:24 PM
    • 405Posts
    • 486Thanks
    lucym
    Horse manure...
    • 30th May 05, 7:24 PM
    Horse manure... 30th May 05 at 7:24 PM
    Our local stables is giving manure away - the question is can we put it straight into our compost bin?
Page 1
  • Magentasue
    • 30th May 05, 8:49 PM
    • 30th May 05, 8:49 PM
    Best place for it! I think there's only a problem putting it near plants; if you dig it in I think you need to leave it a while before you plant but composted it should be brilliant.
  • Queenie
    • 30th May 05, 9:17 PM
    • 30th May 05, 9:17 PM
    Horse manure needs to be "well rotted" before you put it near any plants - apparently, fresh manure could damage the stems if placed too close.

Compost heap?? Yep, ok, that sounds logical.

In the days when my dfriend of yesteryear provided an abundance of manure (free!) I would accept some, then leave it in a spare corner of my garden to *rot* in the sun/elements, until Autumn time and then use it as a top dressing on my soil.

Didn't have a compost bin in those days
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Mado
    • By Mado 30th May 05, 9:20 PM
    • 20,486 Posts
    • 42,143 Thanks
    Mado
    • 30th May 05, 9:20 PM
    • 30th May 05, 9:20 PM
    My book says "It needs to be stacked for at least 6 months, 'cos otherwise it is too hot and will damage plants!!!"

I have helped myself to some locally... my kids did complain that the area stank (probably the wheelbarrow) but it all fine now inside the compost bin.
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 31st May 05, 7:17 AM
    • 13,147 Posts
    • 9,489 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 31st May 05, 7:17 AM
    • 31st May 05, 7:17 AM
    You can also simply stack it in bin bags, or straight onto a bit of spare ground.

It should be OK to use in the Autumn/Winter when you dig it into the ground, where it will further rot down.

Any "fresh" smell will soon disappear
  • mink35
    • 31st May 05, 10:48 PM
    • 31st May 05, 10:48 PM
    You could also put some in a pair of old tights and hang it into a water barrel. It rots quicker and makes your water more fertilised!
    Mink
  • Queenie
    • 1st Jun 05, 6:55 AM
    • 1st Jun 05, 6:55 AM
    Ooooh, mink! Like ... compost tea? I've made compost tea and my garden thought it was getting a double vodka and tonic!!! Most happy were the plants
    • spendaholic
    • By spendaholic 1st Jun 05, 10:09 AM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 6,268 Thanks
    spendaholic
    • 1st Jun 05, 10:09 AM
    • 1st Jun 05, 10:09 AM
    Well rotted manure doesn't smell at all. Fresh manure will burn the plants, and it stinks - and steams.
    Highest debt: £35k (2005); Current debt: £11k (2015)
    regular bank account status reinstated: 10.9.15

My wins: designer cat food caddy; £2,500 cash; £36 cash; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Creative Craft Show tickets; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Beyond the Pole DVD; £1,000 cash; Legend of the Guardians goody bag; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • mink35
    • 1st Jun 05, 10:59 AM
    • 1st Jun 05, 10:59 AM
    Ooooh, mink! Like ... compost tea? I've made compost tea and my garden thought it was getting a double vodka and tonic!!! Most happy were the plants
    by Queenie
    Yuk! Just the thought of compost tea...
    Mink
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 1st Jun 05, 11:14 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Just glad I don't drink tea

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Murtle
    • By Murtle 1st Jun 05, 2:01 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    be wary next time Queenie offers tea and cakes.....
  • jeffdavies
    Manure placed in a heap, covered by a piece of old carpet will soon rot down.
    I built myself a small wooden enclosure a few years ago and during the warm summer months an added bonus is to regularly find a family of 'slow worms' lying directly underneath the carpet, enjoying the warm rays of the sun
  • Queenie
    be wary next time Queenie offers tea and cakes.....
    by Murtle
    Oh blast!!! Must have been *your* BBQ narna that fell on the floor
  • Queenie
    Welcome jeff
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 1st Jun 05, 2:25 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Manure placed in a heap, covered by a piece of old carpet will soon rot down.
    I built myself a small wooden enclosure a few years ago and during the warm summer months an added bonus is to regularly find a family of 'slow worms' lying directly underneath the carpet, enjoying the warm rays of the sun
    by jeffdavies

Oooooo I take it you must live down south somewhere then I've only ever seen one in the wild and it was beautiful! Seen plenty of grass snakes and the occasional adder though, and on rare occasions managed to spot a few lizards, but we have very few native reptiles in this country unfortunately

Welcome to OS
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Murtle
    • By Murtle 1st Jun 05, 2:29 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    Oh blast!!! Must have been *your* BBQ narna that fell on the floor
    by Queenie
    that's why it tasted funny....I thought it was herbs and spices
  • Queenie
    that's why it tasted funny....I thought it was herbs and spices
    by Murtle
    It was ..... Herbs de Provence al la Man Ure
  • mink35
    Mink
  • ChocClare
    Incidentally, I remember Geoff Thing from Gardeners' World years ago talking about the double benefits of horse manure:

Stick it in a corner as advised and leave to rot down. While it's rotting down, it gets very hot, as already noted. So you use it as an outdoor propogator - put your plants in trays on top of it (not necessarily DIRECTLY onto it, you could stick a bit of carpet on it of course) and the heat from the manure will speed up the growth of all your plants. I've tried this and it's really brilliant.

Then, when it's well-rotted, dig it into your garden. Two for the price of one!

What's old Geoff's surname by the way, it's bugging me now...
  • ChocClare
    Don't all shout at once, I've just remembered it's HAMILTON. Thank goodness for that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,945Posts Today

7,584Users online

Martin's Twitter