IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Comet Extended Warranty
Views: 5,991
# 1
griffter18
Old 01-11-2012, 7:28 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Comet Extended Warranty

Hi appreciate this is a little premature but I purchased an Apple computer earlier this year from Comet. I negotiated the price a little and this led to an extended 5yr warranty being provided.

I will still potentially take out the Apple Care Insurance simply because of the type of product.

My question is fairly straight forwards.
The news this morning is that Comet could file for Administration this week. If this happens would this mean that the Warranty becomes null and void or would the Warranty agreement still be honoured through some form of separate scheme?

Anyone had previous experience, and should I be heading back to the Shop to request a refund before they go bump?
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to griffter18 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Hintza
Old 01-11-2012, 7:44 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I imagine these are in house warranties, but check your paperwork.

Unless your T&C's allow for a refund I very much doubt you will get one from the shop and if you are confrontational I suspect the staff could become a little less than professional if they have nothing to lose.
Scio me nihil scire (Socrates)

Remember Air Rhodesia Flight 827 shot down 12 Feb 1979
The Following User Says Thank You to Hintza For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
griffter18
Old 01-11-2012, 7:48 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I suppose that I should head back to the store and express my concern and see if i can gain some additional info ie is the warranty internal/external and how/is it protected in the event they go into administration
# 4
Hintza
Old 01-11-2012, 8:15 AM

The owners need to deny these rumours before noon today otherwise it will probably be all over as turnover just dries up (until of course they have their closing down sales).

# 5
CoolHotCold
Old 01-11-2012, 8:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

To the Op. check your paperwork, but I believe the extended guarantee is through G/E. and there is a 45 day cooling off period under which if you haven't used it you can get a full refund.

To Hintza, they either are going into administration, or aren't. If they weren't I think we would of heard something by now. It's probably correct what the papers are saying, spend any gift cards now before they go bust or are unable to fufill suppliers terms.
The Following User Says Thank You to CoolHotCold For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Hintza
Old 01-11-2012, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHotCold View Post
or aren't.
That is my point they maybe weren't but but this could be dead within days just on rumour.

I think you are right though we would have heard protestations by now that all was fine and new funding was in place...blah blah.

# 7
barneycooly
Old 01-11-2012, 9:40 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

On Saturday I bought a fridge freezer from Comet on the "buy now pay in 9 months" terms. I paid 10% deposit (70.00) and after turning down the initial offer of extended warranty (5 years) and getting a reduction, I reluctantly went with it.

The fridge freezer is not due for delivery until next Tuesday, where do I stand in terms of cancelling / warranty etc.? any help would be appreciated
The Following User Says Thank You to barneycooly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
eljaysi
Old 01-11-2012, 10:02 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I too took extended cover on a TV back in March. This is from the FAQ's on Comets website:
If Comet ceased to trade, would my product still be protected?
The Warranty Group Services (Isle of Man) Limited is the provider of the ExtraCare Service Plan. To protect you in the event of The Warranty Group Services (Isle of Man) Limited going out of business, a Trust Fund held by an independent trustee is used to ensure that the financial obligations of The Warranty Group Services (Isle of Man) Limited can be met.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eljaysi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
OlliesDad
Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My mother in law works for Comet in one of their call centres and they have been told today that they are being made redundant. Not looking good for Comet.
The Following User Says Thank You to OlliesDad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
rtho782
Old 01-11-2012, 12:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

As someone that worked in Comet's service division:

Their repair centre is not apple certified so cannot get apple parts. They do the best they can by caniballising written off units etc, and buying parts from eBay, but I would strongly recommend using Applecare instead on an apple product.

Non apple products, no problem.

Extra care won't be affected by Comet's administration, both their extended warranties and service plans are managed from a seperate account by TWG and you will still have cover if comet vanish.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rtho782 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
B.Summers
Old 01-11-2012, 1:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I bought a washing machine from the comet clearance site a few days ago, says all their products are covered by a 12 month warranty. I don't usually buy refurbished/used products and only used the site because of the warranty, now I'm worried what will happen if my washing machine breaks down. Would I still be covered? I'm considering cancelling my order now.
The Following User Says Thank You to B.Summers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
OlliesDad
Old 01-11-2012, 1:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Summers View Post
I bought a washing machine from the comet clearance site a few days ago, says all their products are covered by a 12 month warranty. I don't usually buy refurbished/used products and only used the site because of the warranty, now I'm worried what will happen if my washing machine breaks down. Would I still be covered? I'm considering cancelling my order now.
It will almost certainly be worthless. Although you would be lucky to get a refund if you do cancel, you will become a creditor and will only get a fraction of your money back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OlliesDad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
CoolHotCold
Old 01-11-2012, 2:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Depends how you paid for it

If you paid by Credit Card and it was over 100 you have no problems as both the retailer and credit card supplier are jointly liable, so if the retailer goes bust (likely) you can still chase your CC supplier for 12 month warranty (and beyond using the SoGA)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CoolHotCold For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Lovelyjoolz
Old 01-11-2012, 3:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Comet announces that they go into Administration next week:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...n-8273828.html

Explains why their website has been down all day.
You had me at your proper use of "you're".
The Following User Says Thank You to Lovelyjoolz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
rtho782
Old 01-11-2012, 3:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
The standard 12m warranty? Then if Comet vanish you are depending on the manufacturer honoring it.

Extra Care? It is administered by AON/The Warranty Group, and shouldn't be affected. Their extended warranties are actually worldwide and you will end up being referred to a different repair agent, but should still get a repair (worst case, it could be on a reimbursement basis)

SOGA? You won't have anyone to claim against if the retailer are gone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rtho782 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Figgerty
Old 01-11-2012, 6:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
The standard 12m warranty? Then if Comet vanish you are depending on the manufacturer honoring it.

Extra Care? It is administered by AON/The Warranty Group, and shouldn't be affected. Their extended warranties are actually worldwide and you will end up being referred to a different repair agent, but should still get a repair (worst case, it could be on a reimbursement basis)

SOGA? You won't have anyone to claim against if the retailer are gone.
If you pay by credit card, is the credit card company liable if a product goes wrong and the retailer has gone bust,
Some Burke bloke quote: all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to say nothing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Figgerty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
B.Summers
Old 04-11-2012, 9:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I assume the product will have a manufacturer's warranty. But yeah looks like the standard 12 month warranty is useless now . I bought it with my visa debit bank card, looks like I'll have to keep the washing machine and hope it runs smoothly for a couple of years at least. I've fallen on hard times at the moment and it was the cheapest I could find/the reason I used the clearance site and so I can't afford to cancel if I lose so much money.

Thanks for your help guys
The Following User Says Thank You to B.Summers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Elvira666
Old 04-11-2012, 2:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

We bought a cooker from our local Comet a couple of weeks ago. When we bought it we were told the price was over 200 but the bill would be itemised and not to worry about it as this was standard practice. My husband paid by card and was asked to sign the paper for the extended guarantee (that came free with the cooker). When we had a proper look at the receipt it showed that we had paid 188 for the cooker and a further 45 for a five year extended warranty that we didn't need and hadn't asked for.

I contacted the head office and explained what had happened and he said that what they had done was wrong and told us to go back into the store and speak to the manager. We planned to go in this week while my hubby was on his holiday but when we heard on the news about them going bust we called the warranty department directly and cancelled it. They've said they'll send a cheque out as they can't pay it back directly to his card but am expecting that by the time it comes and we get it into bank there's a good chance it will bounce.

I still intend to go into the store, if it's still open and speak to the manager about what the shop assistant did, won't do any good but I hate the fact that they felt it okay to con us into buying an extended warranty.
# 19
molerat
Old 04-11-2012, 3:16 PM

I don't really see the problem, you paid 200+ for a cooker with a 5 year extended warranty or you could have paid 200+ for a cooker with no extended warranty. As Comet are about to go belly up that warranty could well come in handy.
www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
# 20
molerat
Old 04-11-2012, 3:23 PM

Quote:
I assume the product will have a manufacturer's warranty. But yeah looks like the standard 12 month warranty is useless now . I bought it with my visa debit bank card, looks like I'll have to keep the washing machine and hope it runs smoothly for a couple of years at least. I've fallen on hard times at the moment and it was the cheapest I could find/the reason I used the clearance site and so I can't afford to cancel if I lose so much money.

Thanks for your help guys
I wonder what will happen if it does go wrong, Hotpoint specifically ask if the machine was purchased from Comet so I assume there is some sort of charge to Comet or they place the service callout with Comet's own team.

Quote:
  1. My TV/laptop have been sent to Comet for repair, will they still be repaired and returned? The repair operations are continuing and we will seek to complete the repair and return the item.
  2. I bought an extended warranty with my goods a few weeks ago, will this still be honoured? ExtraCare Service Plans and Extended Warranties are provided by a third party (The Warranty Group) and is unaffected by the Administration of Comet Group Limited. In the event that Comet is unable to continue repairs The Warranty Group will appoint a new repair agent to ensure continuity of repair service for ExtraCare and Extended Warranty customers.
  3. An item I bought from Comet has become faulty, who do I contact? You should contact the Comet Customer Support Centre on 0844 800 95 95 and select option 3 and follow the voice prompts which will direct you to the relevant repair agent.
www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html

Last edited by molerat; 04-11-2012 at 3:27 PM.