Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > MSE News: Welfare reforms 'to hit disabled' (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
MSE News: Welfare reforms 'to hit disabled'
Views: 8,878
# 1
MSE Helen
Old 22-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default MSE News: Welfare reforms 'to hit disabled'

"Around 500,000 disabled people are expected to lose out when the Disability Living Allowance is scrapped, says a report ..."

Read the full story:

Welfare reforms 'to hit disabled'

Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Helen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Invalidation
Old 22-10-2012, 11:10 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Whilst the Gravy train at Westminster rolls on and on
The DWP = Legally kicking the Disabled when they are down.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Invalidation For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
krisskross
Old 22-10-2012, 11:30 AM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invalidation View Post
Whilst the Gravy train at Westminster rolls on and on
Reading some of the amounts claimed via disability real and exaggerated I would suggest that to many people it is a Disability Gravy train.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to krisskross For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
miduck
Old 22-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Why do the forum team post these things on this board? The threads only ever seem to go one way ...
# 5
rogerblack
Old 22-10-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisskross View Post
Reading some of the amounts claimed via disability real and exaggerated I would suggest that to many people it is a Disability Gravy train.
Despite government ministers who would dearly love to be able to say 'Fraud is 30% of disability benefit payouts' - DWP research based on checking up in detail on a random set of claimants found it to be around 0.5%.

The continued spinning against the disabled by ministers has been very obvious, often coming not much short of flat-out-lying.

Statements like 'Only 7% of claimants to ESA are found to be unable to do any work' - implying that 93% are workshy scroungers.

When the reality is that ESA is claimed for periods as short as a week, for short-term injuries and illnesses.
Someone claiming with a broken leg will never get to the 13 week assessment, so will never be 'found unfit for work'.

It also neglects that you can be found 'sort-of-fit-for-some-work.'
People in this position are often severely disabled - and yet the assumption that they can work if they try has been used to justify everything from housing benefit cuts to time-limiting ESA.

The real figure if you go through all the problems with the '7%' figure is closer to 70%.
(assuming everyone had representation to properly put their case to the tribunal, and to assist them through the process).

It's also important to realise that the remaining 30% are often quite disabled.
Simply being found fit for work doesn't mean you are.

This sort of spinning has been directly linked to the rise on attacks on disabled people.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to rogerblack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Dunroamin
Old 22-10-2012, 11:53 AM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerblack View Post
Despite government ministers who would dearly love to be able to say 'Fraud is 30% of disability benefit payouts' - DWP research based on checking up in detail on a random set of claimants found it to be around 0.5%.

The continued spinning against the disabled by ministers has been very obvious, often coming not much short of flat-out-lying.

Statements like 'Only 7% of claimants to ESA are found to be unable to do any work' - implying that 93% are workshy scroungers.

When the reality is that ESA is claimed for periods as short as a week, for short-term injuries and illnesses.
Someone claiming with a broken leg will never get to the 13 week assessment, so will never be 'found unfit for work'.

People in this position are often severely disabled - and yet the assumption that they can work if they try has been used to justify everything from housing benefit cuts to time-limiting ESA.

The real figure if you go through all the problems with the '7%' figure is closer to 70%.
(assuming everyone had representation to properly put their case to the tribunal, and to assist them through the process).

This sort of spinning has been directly linked to the rise on attacks on disabled people.
Describing something as a "gravy train" doesn't necessarily imply fraud.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dunroamin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
clemmatis
Old 22-10-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I guess you'd know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clemmatis For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
rogerblack
Old 22-10-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunroamin View Post
I was assuming that this was the posters intent.

We want disabled people into work, if they can possibly manage it.
Reducing support, or providing poorly targetted support may mean they can't obtain, or keep employment.

In general, for various reasons - timekeeping, impairments, ... the disabled are in lower paid work.
Additional help can be crucial in enabling them to keep in work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rogerblack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
clemmatis
Old 22-10-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Reducing support, or providing poorly targetted support may mean they can't obtain, or keep employment.

In general, for various reasons - timekeeping, impairments, ... the disabled are in lower paid work.
Yes. And just today we hear -- again -- that councils are cutting back drastically on care given to disabled people, including care that helps them stay in work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clemmatis For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Dunroamin
Old 22-10-2012, 12:13 PM
PPR

Quote:

You'll have to ask Invalidation what he meant by the term.

Additional help and support doesn't necessarily mean additional funding for the individual which can often be counterproductive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dunroamin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
JohnRo
Old 22-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Yet the implication is, in all honesty, quite clear, so why the pretence. The upshot is that support for those with disability is a drain on finance and resources, that's a fact.

Whether it is the massive problem that those with an agenda portray it to be, all other things considered as a whole, is another matter entirely.
# 12
krisskross
Old 22-10-2012, 12:17 PM
PPR

Quote:
Indeed it doesn't but a recent poster saying he receives 1100 a month on disability benefits as opposed to the ~300 he would get on JSA would seem to show why people are anxious to stay on disability benefits.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to krisskross For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
seven-day-weekend
Old 22-10-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Which means that 93% can do (or will be able to do in the future) SOME work, which means they will be put in the work-related activity group of ESA rather than the support group . It does not suggest that they are fully fit for all types of work at this very moment.
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend

Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 22-10-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: to re-inset text
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to seven-day-weekend For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Dunroamin
Old 22-10-2012, 12:28 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRo View Post
Yet the implication is, in all honesty, quite clear, so why the pretence. The upshot is that support for those with disability is a drain on finance and resources, that's a fact.
There's an enormous difference between questioning the culture of benefits and the assumption of fraud.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dunroamin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
rogerblack
Old 22-10-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven-day-weekend View Post
Which means that 93% can do (or will be able to do in the future) SOME work. It does not suggest that they are fully fit for all types of work at this very moment.
Quite.
However, that was very different from the way it was spun to the national papers at the time.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/new...laims-DWP.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rogerblack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
rogerblack
Old 22-10-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven-day-weekend View Post
Which means that 93% can do (or will be able to do in the future) SOME work. It does not suggest that they are fully fit for all types of work at this very moment.
Quite.
However, that was very different from the way it was spun to the national papers at the time.

"Only 7% of those claiming Incapacity Benefit replacement are unfit for work, claims DWP

Only one in 14 of those trying to claim the replacement for incapacity benefit are actually unfit for work, Government figures have revealed.
"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/new...laims-DWP.html

(This article has been considerably updated from its original state, which was much more negative)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rogerblack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
SailorSam
Old 22-10-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
And if we're all in it together why is it that it's only the disabled that are being punished.
If you're a member of parliament you can claim much more for first class rail travel (even if you don't pay it) and you can have expensive rents paid.
Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.
I need all the preservatives i can get.

The Following User Says Thank You to SailorSam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
dori2o
Old 22-10-2012, 12:50 PM

For some it is not the loss of the money they get from DLA that will be the problem, it is the other help options and benefits that come with it.

For instance, I get a free parking space at work as I am 'registered disabled'. I can't use public transport as I'm unable to sit or stand for more than an hour and a half at a time (which is how long to takes on 2 buses to and from work), but driving is more expensive (more than twice the cost of public transport) and so the free parking space is a means for me to mitigate that extra cost.

However, I only get that space as I am registered disabled. We all know there is no disabled register and what they actually mean is that I receive DLA.

There are many other options for help out there that are only given on production of proof that you are disabled, which in 99% of cases is proof that you are in receipt of DLA.

For example the Disabled persons bus pass- only issued on proof of receiveing DLA/AA.

There is a suspicion that those who can self propel in a wheelchair will not get the new PIP which replaces DLA from next year.

Does this mean a wheelchair bound person who can self propel, but does not satisfy the PIP criteria is not disabled?

Why should a person who is disabled, but does not qualify for the benefit, or choses not to claim the benefit, be discriminated against when it comes to these other forms of help.

Thats why I suggested there needs to be another way of being 'registered disabled' a few months ago on this forum, in order for all disabled people to be entitled to the further help that is available.
To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to dori2o For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
seven-day-weekend
Old 22-10-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
And if we're all in it together why is it that it's only the disabled that are being punished.
If you're a member of parliament you can claim much more for first class rail travel (even if you don't pay it) and you can have expensive rents paid.

It's not. It's also the under 25s, under 35s, social housing tenants on Housing Benefit who have a spare room, and various others. Most people on benefits in fact, unless they have hoards of children or, (dare I say it) are Pensioners.

How else is the Welfare bill going to come down unless the way we dish it out is curtailed?
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend

Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 22-10-2012 at 12:58 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to seven-day-weekend For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
clemmatis
Old 22-10-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Indeed it doesn't but a recent poster saying he receives 1100 a month on disability benefits as opposed to the ~300 he would get on JSA would seem to show why people are anxious to stay on disability benefits.
But if he receives DLA then if he applied for JSA instead of ESA he would receive 1100 a month minus the difference between JSA and ESA (if any), so, would receive, what? 1100?