Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Errata
    • 18th Oct 12, 12:31 PM
    • 18th Oct 12, 12:31 PM
    Plan? There is no plan, merely the on the hoof maunderings of a PM under pressure at PMQ.
    .....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
  • phoenixbbs
    • 18th Oct 12, 2:23 PM
    • 18th Oct 12, 2:23 PM
    The energy market is already in a mess - without having to spend any money on infrastructure ("keeping the lights on") such as generation, by closing down the "less efficient" generating stations, they've artificially created this shortfall in availability.

What seems to be getting missed is WE WERE PAYING FOR IT ALREADY. Closing generating stations simply made them more money, because when they stopped using them they effectively had no operating costs.

By doing this, they're now in a position to claim that they're having to pay more (and in advance) for the energy they're going to sell to us, when their licence to operate as an electricity provided stated they had to "keep the lights on" by investing in the network and generation.

This "additional expenditure" due to short supply will be passed directly to the customer, with a little bit more on top just for good measure.
  • baby_boomer
    • 18th Oct 12, 2:32 PM
    • 18th Oct 12, 2:32 PM
    It's not what MSE wants.

MSE wants to be able to recommend the best deals to its members!

If fewer people were ripped off, there'd be fewer good deals for MSErs.

That goes for utilities, banking and the rest.
    Last edited by baby_boomer; 18-10-2012 at 2:35 PM.
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 18th Oct 12, 6:14 PM
    • 60,033 Posts
    • 95,558 Thanks
    torbrex
    • 18th Oct 12, 6:14 PM
    • 18th Oct 12, 6:14 PM
    What about all the previous plans to bring order to the energy market such as investing in renewable generators to help keep prices stable?

We have yet to see any of that feed into the price stucture in spite of all the wind farms that have sprung up.

The gas companies blame the high cost of imports and the electric companies blame the high cost of gas, they just feed off each other.
    It's so nice to be insane,
    No-one asks you to explain.

Check out the photo's of MSE Members in the Gallery on the Arms Board and post your own Photo on The Chat Thread.
  • Errata
    • 18th Oct 12, 6:21 PM
    • 18th Oct 12, 6:21 PM
    Martin Lewis has just been interviewed about it on News 24. His long version short "I haven't a clue".
    .....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
  • davidgmmafan
    • 19th Oct 12, 9:57 PM
    • 19th Oct 12, 9:57 PM
    No he wont because its self defeating. The energy companies countermeasure is obvious. If they really wanted to help they could remove or lower vat or do something about the insane green subsidies.

All this comment has done is show that the prime minister is an utter moron. Even expensive education is a waste it seems...

The green technologies also fail in their primary objective imo but it would only be fair if power companies are bleating about the rising cost put it on the bill in black and white. The governments crazy policy is costing you x
    Last edited by davidgmmafan; 19-10-2012 at 10:47 PM.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,316Posts Today

8,120Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks to @CBBC_Hacker for sending us our own Hacker, baby MSE is smitten. Altight cocker. http://t.co/mdVVz56YHD

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• Follow Martin