MSE News: Sheilas' Wheels offers bonzer car insurance news for Bruce

Options
"Sheilas' Wheels says it expects prices to rise for women once gender neutral insurance prices come into force ..."

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sheila's Wheels maintains it will continue to target women via new features such as enhanced bag cover limits.
    I was wondering whether this would become more widespread.

Presumably (with or without the ruling?) insurers wouldn't be allowed to only insure women?

But stretching the policy to the exetreme, could a company offer "free" something that only women would be likely to use? E.g. beauty treatment vouchers, etc?
  • Gordon_the_Moron
    Options
    The ruling made it illegal to price differently, even before that it was illegal not to offer a service available for women to men.

As for the beauty treatment vouchers example, yes they could do it but men would have to be able to use them if they really wanted to.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • JimmyTheWig
    Options
    That's what I thought, Gordon.
    I wonder if that's what companies will start doing...
  • corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Does this mean insurance companies won't be allowed to ask what your sex is?
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is a rise in prices likely to affect 'older' ladies? I have been driving for nearly 50 years, have only ever made one insurance claim (that being the result of vandalism to my car), and I'm going to be pretty miffed if my premiums rise simply because I'm a female.
  • JimmyTheWig
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Is a rise in prices likely to affect 'older' ladies? I have been driving for nearly 50 years, have only ever made one insurance claim (that being the result of vandalism to my car), and I'm going to be pretty miffed if my premiums rise simply because I'm a female.
    It means that your premium will be the same as a man your age with your exact same history.
    You won't be penalised for being female. You will just stop benefitting from the fact that you are female.

Though it has been said that for older people the difference in premiums for men and women is low. So it's not likely to make much difference.
    I guess the reason for that is that there are many years history to go on so they can price according to that, rather than have to guess based on gender.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It means that your premium will be the same as a man your age with your exact same history.
    You won't be penalised for being female. You will just stop benefitting from the fact that you are female.

Though it has been said that for older people the difference in premiums for men and women is low. So it's not likely to make much difference.
    I guess the reason for that is that there are many years history to go on so they can price according to that, rather than have to guess based on gender.

Thanks for that - I hadn't looked at it that way.
  • oscarward
    Options
    When our son started driving 2 years ago we were being quoted £2100 ish for insuring him. Out of curiosity I put him down as female and the quote went to £800 ish.

Presume young females will now have to pay the astronomic amount young blokes do.
  • That_Bloke
    Options
    The Sheila's Wheels advertising thing is just that - an advertising thing. They've always been more than happy to quote for men and for me the price comparison websites generally bring back Sheila's Wheels and Esure (they're just different brands from the same insurer) within a few pounds of each other.

I've been alternating between the two to get the Quidco for around the last 6 or 7 years now, with a one year diversion to Direct Line who came out on top for that year.
  • warwick_hunt_2
    Options
    Not strictly related but...

My renewal is due next month so did a quick quote on GoCompare.

The second cheapest was from Diamond (I'm a bloke!)

Never had a quote from them before, or if I did, it was down at the bottom in the silly money league (£2000+)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure