MSE News: High petrol prices to be investigated

Options
"The price of petrol and diesel will fall under the microscope of a watchdog to check if motorists get a fair deal ..."

Comments

• jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Oh !!!!!! another one.

There was one recently, and found that petrol pumps in general actually gave the driver more fuel than charged for.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19190048

And no doubt there will be one next year when we hit 1.50 for petrol, and the year after when it hits 1.60, and MSE skrimpers will no doubt go in to melt down as the extra £3 a tank means they can't afford fags or pint cans of carling.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jaydeeuk1 wrote: »
    Oh !!!!!! another one.

There was one recently, and found that petrol pumps in general actually gave the driver more fuel than charged for.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19190048

And no doubt there will be one next year when we hit 1.50 for petrol, and the year after when it hits 1.60, and MSE skrimpers will no doubt go in to melt down as the extra £3 a tank means they can't afford fags or pint cans of carling.

Out of interest, if you don't care about the price of fuel, why are you on a site called Moneysaving Expert?
  • Krojan
    Krojan Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 September 2012 at 1:35PM
    Options

The OFT will explore:
    • whether reductions in the price of crude oil are being reflected in falling pump prices.
    Nope, prices at the pumps still going up.
    • whether supermarkets' and oil companies' practices make it difficult for independent retailers to compete.

Yep, but independants often charge more anyway so won't make any difference
    • whether there is a lack of competition between fuel retailers in remote areas.
    Yep
    • whether rival firms are co-ordinating when setting prices.
    Yep

There ya go, investigation done, saving the taxpayer millions
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Out of interest, if you don't care about the price of fuel, why are you on a site called Moneysaving Expert?

Because AFAIK, this site covers more than just petrol prices. Spending hours looking to save thousands off price of a mortgage or car, or getting hundreds back from PPI or changing energy supplier, then yes. Piddling about moaning about the 1p a litre increase, on my 32 litre car then no.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 September 2012 at 1:53PM
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »

Because they didnt want to join moneysavingfuel.co.uk ??

Not everyone wants to use every section on this site to save money.

I use the ebay section, Not to save money but to learn. And to see what scams are currently doing the rounds.

I use the greenfingers board to learn also. I got an allotment but it doesnt save me money. Its a fairly cheap hobby though.

This site is not all about moneysaving.

I dont think its saved me money on anything?

Anyway back to the fuel, Another waste of time. It will be run by some MP's friends or family. Paid a fortune to do nothing.

Then the final result will be its a little overpriced but we make far more from tax on it anyway and MPs dont pay for it so who cares.

Case closed.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• liam8282
    liam8282 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    Options
    It is not the cost of the fuel that is the problem, it is the tax and vat that is whacked on top of it that is.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Not entirely sure what this data shows, but it appears to me that the gap between crude oil and the price of petrol & diesel looks to be narrowing:

58607717petroldieseloil.gif

Lets hope we don't have to wait until January for the OFT to declare we are getting better than a fair deal afterall :eek:
  • note_2
    note_2 Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    always find it funny how successive governments try to pin the blame of high fuel prices on the companies that make it for less than 50p / litre.

complete waste of time and money this survey, as others have pointed out.
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Options
    None of this means much.

The OFT were the people trying to tackle the bank and the overdraft charges. They lost and gave up the fight.

Now the OFT are investigating the fuel industry - just a week or two after fuel retailers were slating the government in the press for the amount of tax per litre.

The government also make more money via % of the price. Do you really think the OFT will find anything wrong or publicly announce that there is nothing wrong and thus justifying the price of fuel to the nation? Do you really think the government want to loose the cash cow?

It's a headline. I suspect its designed to draw our attention away from something else but its still a headline. Frankly I think they're trying to get a free drink in the last chance saloon.
  • gilbert_and_sullivan
    Options
    Now this is interesting, only a few years ago there would have been many posts jumping on the bandwagon calling the oil producers all the names under the sun, usually led by the MSM propaganda machine..

All of a sudden people have woken up to the fact that (over)taxation is the biggest con of all, we're paying £Billions so liars thieves and con men can pay back their financier mates with interest on money they borrowed in our name, so they can borrow more for us to pay back etc etc....and all done so they could bribe us with our own money with promises of something for nothing.

Its only taken 40 years for most to realise, now what are they going to do about it....i know, vote the same bunch of crooks back in next time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure