IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Nightime barking
Closed Thread
Views: 551
# 1
mumoftwins
Old 28-07-2012, 4:19 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Nightime barking

Please can anyone give me some advice?

I have two 1 year old bichon frise pups (brother and sister). They sleep together in a cage/crate and always have done. Until a few nights ago I have never really had any problem with them, once they go to bed that's it until the next morning.

However, 3 nights ago the barking started and it just didn't stop, no matter what I did. The following night it continued so much so that someone came out into the street complaining - rightly so - but everything we did did not stop the barking.

There has been no change in routine, no change of anything within the house or family.

Can anyone give me any suggestions please as we all need our sleep!
Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
# 2
pixelation
Old 28-07-2012, 6:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Poor you, that sounds difficult.
Is it possible they can hear something that you can't? Something very high-pitched? Any new electrics?
# 3
Jojo the Tightfisted
Old 28-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Have you checked the back and front doors and garden for signs of intruders, whether human dognappers or foxes?
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinw View Post
Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
# 4
mumoftwins
Old 29-07-2012, 8:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi both and thanks for the replies,

There are no new sounds, yes we have foxes coming and going but that is quite normal. The dogs are in a room at the front of the house in their crate/cage, also in this room is the fridge and the freezer. Do you think with it having been so hot that the either of the appliances could have been working overtime fan wise?

I must add though that since the pups had their citronella collars on at night, they haven't barked!! I take them off in the day but put them on just before bed, and we have had two lovely nights sleep

I'm not sure that I want them to always wear them at night, but need to be sure that they don't bark and keep us all awake!
Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mumoftwins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
BonitaG
Old 31-07-2012, 12:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi,
given the rise in temperature I suspect parasites. You saying citronella collars stop them from barking, they also keep insects away.
Take all the bedding out of the cage and wash it at as high a temperature as possible and desinfect the cage (and surrounding areas) with flea spray.

Do you regulary treat or wash the dogs against flea? If you havent in the last 4 weeks, now is the time. Not sure I would want the dogs to wear collars while on their own (danger of strangulation), if you treat them with a good product against a wide range of bloodsuckers that could be an effective alternative.
# 6
Fire Fox
Old 31-07-2012, 2:17 PM

By citronella collars do you mean the ones that squirt? Many experts don't recommend these, they may be part of the problem because you are not training your dogs not to bark during the day, just punishing them. Might be worth watching a few episodes of 'It's Me or the Dog' where Victoria Stilwell talks about and trains without these sort of devices.
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
# 7
Jojo the Tightfisted
Old 31-07-2012, 4:04 PM

A male and female BF would be extremely useful to someone wanting a pair of dogs to breed. They wouldn't care about whether they are littermates or not, and could have seen them being walked/that their bed is at the front of the house.
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinw View Post
Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo the Tightfisted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread