Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Humphrey10
    What just exploded?!?
    • 24th Jul 12, 7:14 PM
    What just exploded?!? 24th Jul 12 at 7:14 PM
    About 10 mins ago, I heard a very loud popping noise, it sounded like it came from inside the house. I have been through every room and can't see anything that looks like it's just exploded, there was only one light on and it's still on so it wasn't that bulb (plus it was louder than that), all the sockets that were turned on look normal and none of them feel hot, and nothing in the bathroom (eg deodorant cans) looks exploded.

Anyone got any ideas what could cause a noise like that? Is there anything else electrical I should be checking to make sure it's safe in case it was something electrical exploding?
Page 1
  • Jaynne
    • 24th Jul 12, 7:41 PM
    • 24th Jul 12, 7:41 PM
    It could be an electrical transformer like a charger. If there's no smoke and no circuit has tripped then its probably dead and you'll discover it when you next try to use that appliance.
  • Humphrey10
    • 24th Jul 12, 9:19 PM
    • 24th Jul 12, 9:19 PM
    I'll check any chargers that were turned on at the time, thanks for the suggestion, I didn't think of that.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 24th Jul 12, 9:43 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 4,173 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 24th Jul 12, 9:43 PM
    • 24th Jul 12, 9:43 PM
    Might just be the heat causing the house to expand in various places - this can cause some very loud bangs as the joints rub against each other. Our house is really bad for this and unfortunately seems to be worse at night as it cools down.
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 24th Jul 12, 9:46 PM
    • 2,711 Posts
    • 5,015 Thanks
    warehouse
    • 24th Jul 12, 9:46 PM
    • 24th Jul 12, 9:46 PM
    As the above poster said, it's likely to be an expanding/contracting noise. Tins are very good for this.
    Pants
  • annie1975
    • 24th Jul 12, 9:49 PM
    • 24th Jul 12, 9:49 PM
    Not got any cans of pop in the freezer have you.
    I put one in a few week ago to get cold quick and forgot about it.
    Then BANG,it exploded. Ha ha.
  • yangptangkipperbang
    • 24th Jul 12, 10:43 PM
    • 24th Jul 12, 10:43 PM
    I heard a loud bang a few bays back, couldn't find anything after a search of the house. Found it next morning, the (suction pad) soap dish had fallen off the shower wall
  • ~Chameleon~
    • 24th Jul 12, 10:59 PM
    • 24th Jul 12, 10:59 PM
    Wood contracting as the evening cools off
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 24th Jul 12, 11:01 PM
    • 19,784 Posts
    • 38,791 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 24th Jul 12, 11:01 PM
    • 24th Jul 12, 11:01 PM
    Anyone got any ideas what could cause a noise like that?
    Originally posted by Humphrey10
    Did someone parp?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • nic_santorini
    • By nic_santorini 24th Jul 12, 11:09 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 1,077 Thanks
    nic_santorini
    Might just be the heat causing the house to expand in various places - this can cause some very loud bangs as the joints rub against each other. Our house is really bad for this and unfortunately seems to be worse at night as it cools down.
    Originally posted by thescouselander

I am glad you said that - it sounds like someone is upstairs on my 3rd floor of townhouse tonight and I have just checked and they are not - its making really loud noises tonight!! its sooooo hot upstairs on top floor tonight too.
    Food and Smellies Shop target £50 pw - managed average of £49 per week in 2013.

Use Quidco more
  • kingdavid2012
    I heard a loud bang a few bays back, couldn't find anything after a search of the house. Found it next morning, the (suction pad) soap dish had fallen off the shower wall
    Originally posted by yangptangkipperbang

Any tremble in the building can cause a fall.I'm glad that you found it.Otherwise some people would think there is a supernatural phenomenon in your house.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 25th Jul 12, 1:21 PM
    • 15,949 Posts
    • 172,904 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    We had this some time ago - a cork had gone pop on a bottle of wine!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 25th Jul 12, 1:29 PM
    • 12,432 Posts
    • 5,121 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    I had that 3 times today already, and yesterday, and the day before and..............................; )
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
  • Leif
    I heard a bang one evening. I think a bird had flown into a window, at an angle, as there was what could be feather oils on the window, not sure though, but it does happen.
    • keystone
    • By keystone 25th Jul 12, 2:15 PM
    • 10,783 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    keystone
    Plastic guttering contracting as the temperature dropped? Can make quite a noise if it feels like it.

Cheers
  • Humphrey10
    I've still not found anything that could have made the noise. My only guess is a bird flying into a window or a car backfiring, though it didn't much sound like either of those.
    • bluesnake
    • By bluesnake 26th Jul 12, 1:23 AM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    bluesnake
    Folks, your houses are haunted, but the Bluesnake Excorsist Ltd have the answer for £100 a visit - travel not included.

We exorcise spirits, and exercise wallets.

my Nigerian scam email address will follow
  • anrutpea
    Last week I heard a popping sound and all the electricity tripped. It was the washing machine power switch on the kitchen wall and I had to change the fuse in the plug then untrip the electrics in the fuse box under the stairs.
  • Isis Black
    have you got any energy effect light bulbs ??
    ive noticed theses make a rather odd pooping crackling noise not long before they are about to give up!
    I love War Of The Worlds
    Justin Hayward Rules with Forever Autumn
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,243Posts Today

8,449Users online

Martin's Twitter