Real-life MMD: Should I demand money back from housemates?

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 2 August 2012 at 12:44PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Should I demand money back from housemates?

I live in a shared house where we split the bills equally. Our electric recently got cut off because my housemates hadn't paid their share (even though I’d paid mine) and we then got charged a £36 reconnection fee. This was both inconvenient and unfair on me, but I worry that raising the issue will cause tension in the house. Should I ask for my share of the £36 back or keep quiet (and the peace)?

Click reply to have your say

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

Previous MMDs:

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• Lucyfr
    Lucyfr Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You shouldn't be out of pocket for someone else putting other things before their bills. Why should you pay when they spent that money on something for themselves?? Not paying bills causes issues for other people in the house, having them PAY for those issues isn't on at all. Sounds like you're the kind of person that avoids confrontation and is nice to people. The fact they haven't offered it already shows that they expect you to turn the other cheek. If you don't stand up for yourself now it WILL get worse, I know I have been there myself many times!!
  • telsco
    telsco Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you don't ask and it happens again, you will be under more pressure as they will expect you to pay up again.
    Ask them for the money or they will just take advantage again and again and again etc....
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    You paid your share so you don't need to pay it again.
    Water was cut off because others didn't pay, the penalty charge is paid by the late payers.
  • Mishomeister
    Mishomeister Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would try to move out of that place as soon as I can. Today you are left without a water, tomorrow there are bailiffs knocking on your door.
  • Chloe901
    Chloe901 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 August 2012 at 1:57AM
    Options
    Yes, you should always make sure everything is even and fair. You weren't late on the payment so you shouldn't have to pay. If you have a lot of the bills coming out of your account you could add this money onto another bill, so you are breaking even and they don't have any excuse not to pay.
    Craft target 2020 - 17/20 projects complete
  • deborah007
    deborah007 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Absolutely you should not pay! Speak to your housemates and state firmly that you are being penalised for their mistakes and you will not put up with it. They are not friends as if they were they would not put you in this position so you do not owe them any loyalty.

As another poster said, move out as soon as possible - they will continue to try and take advantage of the situation.

Keep up your sensible attitude to money - it will stand you in good stead in years to come

D x
  • starlet_haylz
    Options
    Move to somewhere with bills all inclusive or ask if your housemates will pay £100 or so into an account every month to cover the bills because you're not happy wasting money on late fees etc. It also depends on how long you plan on staying in this house and whether you consider these people friends or just housemates. You were lucky this time because it's only a share of £36, but if it personally cost you more then that's not on.
  • Elvisia
    Elvisia Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would clearly just say you're not going to pay a share of it, don't say it in an aggressive way, just assume that is the way it's going to be. Then decide whether you stay there depending on their attitude. If it's "fine, of course you wouldn't pay" then that's one thing, if they get sniffy and think you should split it then you really need to move on. I would just assume you will not be paying it. Students are often still learning the value of money and still expect their parents to bail them out, and this extends to other people. You need to just go on your way which means paying only what you owe. I wouldn't even worry about confrontation, just have it in your head that this is what 'of course' will happen - ie they pay the fine.
  • pennypinchUK
    pennypinchUK Posts: 383 Forumite
    edited 1 August 2012 at 8:36AM
    Options
    Water companies can't cut off your water supply. So this is not a real dilemma.

See: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/moneytaxandbenefits/managingdebt/debtsandarrears/dg_10025592
  • elliep_2
    elliep_2 Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Regardless of if this is a real dilemma, the principle is real and someone may be helped. Or maybe the water cut off rules are different in other countries.

The way this is written it sounds like you already paid your share of the £36, that's where I think you went wrong. Paying it then asking for a refund is hard. In your position I think I'd forget about it now for this time but if it happens again I'd refuse to pay up. Just say 'I ended up out of pocket when you didn't pay the water bill last time and I'm not doing it again. I'm not at fault here and you need to pay for your mistake.'

That said, if it happened again I'd definitely be looking for somewhere else to live. Having utilities cut off can't be a nice way to live.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure