Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 27th Jul 12, 5:11 PM
    • 6,105Posts
    • 7,819Thanks
    pinkteapot
    Averaging cameras. Why must people...
    • 27th Jul 12, 5:11 PM
    Averaging cameras. Why must people... 27th Jul 12 at 5:11 PM
    ... brake sharply when they spot one overhead?

Argh!
Page 1
    • Hintza
    • By Hintza 27th Jul 12, 5:16 PM
    • 18,836 Posts
    • 13,504 Thanks
    Hintza
    • 27th Jul 12, 5:16 PM
    • 27th Jul 12, 5:16 PM
    I do have a serious chuckle when I see it.
    Dis tyd om op te staan!
  • Sgt Pepper
    • 27th Jul 12, 5:18 PM
    • 27th Jul 12, 5:18 PM
    I don't know, I never have.
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 27th Jul 12, 5:19 PM
    • 6,105 Posts
    • 7,819 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    • 27th Jul 12, 5:19 PM
    • 27th Jul 12, 5:19 PM
    I usually flick on cruise control and relax. Then my relaxation is spoiled by some numpty braking under the camera grrrr.
    • Paperbird
    • By Paperbird 27th Jul 12, 5:26 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    Paperbird
    • 27th Jul 12, 5:26 PM
    • 27th Jul 12, 5:26 PM

Argh!
    Originally posted by pinkteapot
    Because they don't have a clue what the speed limit is.
    • photome
    • By photome 27th Jul 12, 5:27 PM
    • 11,996 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    photome
    • 27th Jul 12, 5:27 PM
    • 27th Jul 12, 5:27 PM
    I regurlarly drive the A14 between cambridge and huntingdon that has average speed cameras and rarely do I see anyone braking under a camera.

Its not often anyone is even doing 70 though
    • muckybutt
    • By muckybutt 27th Jul 12, 6:31 PM
    • 3,622 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    muckybutt
    • 27th Jul 12, 6:31 PM
    • 27th Jul 12, 6:31 PM
    I dont think thicko - stupid motorists realise quite how they work ?

The M62 is a right barrel of laughs at the moment between Wakefield and Bradford, i'm on there two - three times a week and happily poddle along at 50 - 53 mph knowing i'm within the limit yet am frequently overtaken some fly by me, i'm just left thinking wtf ?
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • graham.senior
    • 27th Jul 12, 6:40 PM
    • 27th Jul 12, 6:40 PM
    Anybody know how fast you can really go as i see lorrys overtake me doing nearer 60 in a 50 limit.
  • archived user
    • 27th Jul 12, 6:51 PM
    • 27th Jul 12, 6:51 PM

Argh!
    Originally posted by pinkteapot
    They are probably related to the ones who brake down from 60 to 40 when they see a Gatso on an NSL road.

*For the pedants I am talking about car drivers where NSL = 60 for them
  • Notmyrealname
    Anybody know how fast you can really go as i see lorrys overtake me doing nearer 60 in a 50 limit.
    Originally posted by graham.senior
    They won't be. They have speed limiters restricting them to 90kph/56MPH.

However what a lorry has is a speedo which legally has to be more accurate than a car (2.5% compared to 10%) which is tested at a tachograph test center every 2 years to check calibration.

So whilst you are trundling along doing 50MPH on your speedo, the more accurate speedo in the truck following you would most probably be around 45MPH.

Now going back to the cameras, if you know the ACPO guidelines means they won't do you until you're doing 10%+2MPH over the limit (57MPH in a 50 limit) and you know you're in a vehicle with a quite accurate speedo and a limiter that'll not exceed the ACPO guideline then there's a tendency to just run on the limiter.
  • Sgt Pepper
    Bear in mind their speedo is calibrated is yours?
    • muckybutt
    • By muckybutt 27th Jul 12, 6:56 PM
    • 3,622 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    muckybutt
    Theres normally about a 10% margin them so 55 in a 50 would be a safe bet, I wouldnt chance points for a few miles an hr faster.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Looksguywalker
    Theres normally about a 10% margin them so 55 in a 50 would be a safe bet, I wouldnt chance points for a few miles an hr faster.
    Originally posted by muckybutt
    There is no 'normal' margin...unless you can point to any law/regulation/rule. Betting is a gambling BTW which MSE does not condone.
    • Arfa__
    • By Arfa__ 27th Jul 12, 8:29 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    Arfa__
    Granted, most car speedo's aren't super accurate, but what about the average speed shown on your satnav? Would I be correct to assume this is fairly accurate, at least better than 10%. Assuming your travelling in a reasonably straight line (motorway) and at a reasonable speed (>30mph).
  • andy8442
    Back to the OP, speed equals distance over time.Simples..... But unfortunately it is a testament to just how thick most people are in this country that they think a stab on the brakes at the camera will make a difference to their average speed. Numpties the lot of them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

909Posts Today

5,813Users online

Martin's Twitter