IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Compost on ground?
Closed Thread
Views: 609
# 1
Leif
Old 01-06-2012, 1:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Compost on ground?

I asked this question in a thread but it got no answers. Does everyone put their compost bin directly on soil, with an exposed bottom, so to speak? If so, do you have trouble with weeds in the soil growing into the compost?

I recently moved my compost onto a concrete area, as I noticed some approaching bindweed.
# 2
marineville
Old 01-06-2012, 1:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default directly onto soil...

it encourages the migration of worms which is absolutely a good thing, plus i'm sure it helps with moisture regulation which, again, is a good thing for optimising composting. i would've thought that any lack of light onto the plants underneath will kill off any plants that might try to grow in the bin. so much better than trying to compost on concrete... and tidier.
The Following User Says Thank You to marineville For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
tim_n
Old 01-06-2012, 1:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Exactly as marineville has said.

I've gone straight onto the ground weeds and all. They started to grow up, but as I've dumped more grass and food waste the heat and excess moisture has done for the weeds. It's not balanced (too much green, not enough brown) but it's getting there.

If you've got a few spades of your old compost to put in the bottom which has worms and the bacteria, it'll work equally well on concrete, but will make a mess when you turn it

Hope that helps!
Tim
The Following User Says Thank You to tim_n For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
JMurph
Old 01-06-2012, 2:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I just used a black plastic rubbish bin with a lid, and drilled lots and lots of holes through the bottom and some round the sides, to let air/worms in. It's worked a treat!
# 5
Greenqueen
Old 02-06-2012, 3:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I did the same (a plastic dustbin) but now that its full its too heavy to lift to turn out!
# 6
Farway
Old 02-06-2012, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenqueen View Post
I did the same (a plastic dustbin) but now that its full its too heavy to lift to turn out!
I just push my Dalek over & go from there
# 7
Leif
Old 02-06-2012, 10:49 PM

I checked my second pile, a mix of wood chips, turf and grass, and bindweed had grown through a foot of the pile, to the surface. The roots in the soil are thick. I suspect a 'dalek' is the way to go as the top will prevent the bindweed from photosynthesizing, and it might exhaust itself.
# 8
EpsomOldie
Old 03-06-2012, 1:09 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I place some concrete slabs around the edge of my (lidded) bin. From the outside it looks like it's standing on concrete, however there's a clear area of earth in the middle to allow worms in. The concrete edging prevents mice from getting into the nice warm heap, and when it comes to emptying it, it provides a firm edge to stand on.
Closed Thread