Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Is REALLY BT policy to mis-sell to vulnerable OAP... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Is REALLY BT policy to mis-sell to vulnerable OAPs who are protected by LPAs?
Closed Thread
Views: 884
# 1
grannybiker
Old 24-04-2012, 9:38 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Is REALLY BT policy to mis-sell to vulnerable OAPs who are protected by LPAs?

https://www.facebook.com/BTUK#!/BTUK?filter=4
Worse things will have happened in the world today...
"The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
The Following User Says Thank You to grannybiker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
LincolnshireYokel
Old 25-04-2012, 12:16 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Oh yes. They were taking 58 a month off my 88 year old mother, for a plain simple phone line and nothing else. When i eventually found out i rang them and cancelled it. They then tried to charge me 26 to disconnect the line, i told them they had ripped my mother off enough already, and that I was not going to additionally pay them to go away . They said she was contractually bound ( dont see how, she had been with them 40Years), so i told them to produce contract with two wet signatures or a voice recording where she agreed to pay 26 to be disconnected, and take that evidence to the county court.

I didnt hear any more from them and she was switched to Virgin in 24 hours.

The old ex-nationalised industries are the worst for ripping people off - BT, British Gas, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LincolnshireYokel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
toniq
Old 25-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I'm so disgusted at how you have been treated, Another reason for me NOT to use Bt. Hopefully the Bt Rep on mse might be able to help you as you haven't found anyone helpful at bt yet.

Really hope your mum is ok x
And on I read until the day was gone;
And I sat in regret of all the things I've done;
For all that I've blessed, and all that I've wronged.
In dreams until my death I will wander on.

The Following User Says Thank You to toniq For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Heinz
Old 25-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnshireYokel View Post
Oh yes. They were taking 58 a month off my 88 year old mother, for a plain simple phone line and nothing else.
Are you sure 58 was not her quarterly bill (14.60/month line rental x 3 = 43.80 before any calls etc. are added)?
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
I will continue to help with Orchid programming whenever possible.
# 5
BT company representative
Old 25-04-2012, 2:14 PM
Has MSEs permission to post for company
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi

I have just seen your post and would like to look into your issue, if you check out my profile section you will find my contact details

Regards David
Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
The Following User Says Thank You to BT company representative For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Farway
Old 25-04-2012, 3:10 PM

I have opposite experience, my mother would not switch from BT, she trusted them and in the main she was justified, they turned out on Christmas day to fix a fault in the cabinet up the road, in the rain, rural village in Wiltshire

I had registered my mother as "vulnerable adult" [dementia and mobility problems] with BT and reliant upon a panic button

I know it is fashionable to knock BT, but from my experiences over 40 years I can't say I have had many problems

PS I did have LPA as well

Last edited by Farway; 25-04-2012 at 3:12 PM. Reason: PS
# 7
brewerdave
Old 26-04-2012, 7:12 AM

Sorry if I'm the only one.....but the original link just takes me to the BT Facebook page ...whats that got to do with BT flogging anything to OAPs with an LPA (lasting power of attourney??)
# 8
grannybiker
Old 26-04-2012, 8:08 AM

Default Sorry for any confusion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerdave View Post
Sorry if I'm the only one.....but the original link just takes me to the BT Facebook page ...whats that got to do with BT flogging anything to OAPs with an LPA (lasting power of attourney??)
The link should take you to the Friend Activity section.
On the right, 2nd post down at the moment is the thread... (Have C&Ped OP that has appeared on their page due to BT being tagged in the status )

Please do not be misled that I actually like BT UK. I think their marketing teams are unethical... You can't post directly on their wall tho' :/....
Their highly efficient sales rep sold my elderly Mum the full TV, internet & phone package when all she wanted was a landline in her sheltered housing. After less than 2 weeks I rang to cancel, but they wanted over 500, despite me explaining Mum has ...dementia and problems understanding. She has no computer and extra TV channels just confuse so she can't even watch ordinary TV now. Am appalled, particularly when I wrote to complain as they advised and got the same "She's had a contract!" response. She could have half a rainforest of paper and it would mean nothing!

Among the 42 comments below are some more details.

HTH
Worse things will have happened in the world today...
"The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
Closed Thread