IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Buying theatre tickets in Leicester Square
Closed Thread
Views: 6,890
# 1
zildjian09
Old 07-03-2012, 2:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Buying theatre tickets in Leicester Square

Hello,

I have heard that instead of pre-booking, many people buy tickets from Leicester Square the same day or the day before the show they want to see, as the tickets are much cheaper.

I am interested in seeing Shrek The Musical at Drury Lane Theatre, will I be able to get cheap tickets in Leicester Square on the same day?

I know it sounds silly, but where exactly in Leicester Square do you get the tickets from?! I've never been before!

Also, are the tickets much cheaper, or is it better to buy them on lastminute.com or a website before? Are all the tickets/sellers in Leicester Square legitimate?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks x
# 2
Always Harassed
Old 07-03-2012, 8:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I tend to buy from lastminute.com. You do get good buys in the leicester square but it tends to be the best seats reduced. The ones on last minute are quite often cheaper seats. Really depends on your budget. Can also get tickets from the theatre when it opens in the morning. Shrek is worth seeing.

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co....-tickets/tkts/
# 3
BillTrac
Old 24-04-2012, 1:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If I can't get the tickets I want from the TKTS booth in Leicester square I go to the theatre.

I wouldn't advise buying the tickets from the so-called 'half price ' kiosks around the area
The Following User Says Thank You to BillTrac For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
BillTrac
Old 24-04-2012, 1:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You can also buy on- line from TKTS before/ without going to Leicester Square
# 5
simonkirkland
Old 24-04-2012, 7:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTrac View Post

How do you do this I can't see any where on tkts website?

I'm after jersey Boys tickets for Saturday.

thanks

Simon
If at first you don't succeed... CHEAT...
# 6
p00hsticks
Old 24-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTrac View Post
Are you sure ? Their website says (on the 'what's on sale ?' page) that "Tickets must be purchased in person (ie no phone or web sales) and are subject to availability."

http://www.tkts.co.uk/whats-on-sale/
# 7
BillTrac
Old 28-04-2012, 9:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just want to apologise for my stupidity..

I have never bought from TKTS except in person, so when I saw advance purchases I assumed you could buy them withou having to go to the ticket office.

Doh!

Last edited by BillTrac; 29-04-2012 at 4:50 PM.
# 8
ollyc
Old 01-05-2012, 10:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Try looking at this site

http://bargaintheatre.tumblr.com/

If you look for the Deal directory it shows you where to buy all the discount tickets by show, and all reputable sites (lastminute etc..). Excellent for last minute tickets. Also good for show reviews.

Failing that, as posted above TKTS is your best bet if you can get into Leicester Sq.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ollyc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Alye16
Old 02-05-2012, 8:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I we have brought tickets from TKTS in Leicester Square many times but we have always gone with a list of things we would like to see.Have had some fantastic seats.If you only want to see one show you may find the tickets aren't available or they aren't the price you want to pay.
# 10
kt21
Old 02-05-2012, 8:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

when are you going? get into london theatre is on through the summer, some good bargain seats to be had!
The Following User Says Thank You to kt21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Gillybean103
Old 03-05-2012, 11:48 AM
MoneySaving Convert

We went last October and bought tickets for Shrek at the ticket booth just about opposite the cinema (round the corner from the odeon) our tickets were in the stalls and were 27 each, we bought them about half an hour before the show started!
# 12
Sharon87
Old 03-05-2012, 2:25 PM

I bought tickets at TKTs from Leicester Square. It was either going to be Wicked or Jersey Boys. But they said the only seats for Jersey Boys were right at the back at 45 or Wicked at full price of around 62. Not all musicals are discounted at the TKTs stand, only certain ones. The most recent/popular tend not to be discounted much if at all

Here is the website with a list of today's tickets and prices

http://www.tkts.co.uk/whats-on-sale/
# 13
sarahlouise210
Old 07-05-2012, 2:45 AM

are you going with children ?? If you can wait until August you could go in Kids week ( which is actually about Kids month !!) you can get one FREE kids ticket for each adult - this means you can get much better seats or if you have a smaller budget, buy the cheaper seats and still get one free! You can take one child free per adult and any additional children are half price
http://www.kidsweek.co.uk/

Kids Week is all about encouraging young people to get involved in theatre. During Kids Week a child 16 and under can go free to any participating show when accompanied by an adult paying full price. Parents can also purchase up to two extra children’s tickets at half price.

In addition, Kids Week offers a fantastic range of free activities, workshops and events.
Personally I would not use lastminute.com for tickets unless it states "best seats" and not "Best available" - from my experience yes you pay less ..but there is a good reason for that and view is poor. Always check out deals by googling first - I regularly use www.lovetheatre.com
You can always check out the best seats for a show by using www.theatremonkey.com which is my theatre bible!
# 14
daznfiz
Old 20-07-2012, 12:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default kids free week - west end

Kids free at westend - Its a great deal but take care - the 'free' ticket is not as free as you may think - normal seat for adult 45 + booking fee, deal price to get the additonal free seat (for exact same seat) 60 (no booking fee). So to get the free seat the original one is 15 extra, (or as I prefer to look on the bright Im still saving 30 on buying two full price seats!!)

Looking at Shrek, it was better to book a normal family deal for 4 seats rather than the free seat deal as all deal seats are 'restricted view'. A few quid extra and you had unrestricted view seats. no point being cheap if you cant see.

NB. website is a nightmare as when exploring it, if seats not available it always dumps back out to main menu so you need to reselect dates everytime
# 15
windyng
Old 23-07-2012, 11:11 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Queing up at the kiosk does work. But like another user said above, go with a list/open mind and you won't be disappointed.
# 16
j0nnyboy69
Old 25-07-2012, 10:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I've also found that you can be very dissappointed with the queing option. Sometimes paying for a 'half price' ticket but it's actually worth less than that.

Managed to 'Wicked' tickets on Ticketmaster last night for 20 - And you can select where you sit and I know they aren't that bad. I've been in the Apollo before.
Closed Thread