Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    zildjian09
    Buying theatre tickets in Leicester Square
    • 7th Mar 12, 2:16 PM
    Buying theatre tickets in Leicester Square 7th Mar 12 at 2:16 PM
    Hello,

I have heard that instead of pre-booking, many people buy tickets from Leicester Square the same day or the day before the show they want to see, as the tickets are much cheaper.

I am interested in seeing Shrek The Musical at Drury Lane Theatre, will I be able to get cheap tickets in Leicester Square on the same day?

I know it sounds silly, but where exactly in Leicester Square do you get the tickets from?! I've never been before!

Also, are the tickets much cheaper, or is it better to buy them on lastminute.com or a website before? Are all the tickets/sellers in Leicester Square legitimate?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks x
Page 1
  • Always Harassed
    • 7th Mar 12, 8:52 PM
    • 7th Mar 12, 8:52 PM
    I tend to buy from lastminute.com. You do get good buys in the leicester square but it tends to be the best seats reduced. The ones on last minute are quite often cheaper seats. Really depends on your budget. Can also get tickets from the theatre when it opens in the morning. Shrek is worth seeing.

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/buy-tickets/tkts/
    • BillTrac
    • By BillTrac 24th Apr 12, 1:39 PM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    BillTrac
    • 24th Apr 12, 1:39 PM
    • 24th Apr 12, 1:39 PM
    If I can't get the tickets I want from the TKTS booth in Leicester square I go to the theatre.

I wouldn't advise buying the tickets from the so-called 'half price ' kiosks around the area
    • BillTrac
    • By BillTrac 24th Apr 12, 1:42 PM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    BillTrac
    • 24th Apr 12, 1:42 PM
    • 24th Apr 12, 1:42 PM
    You can also buy on- line from TKTS before/ without going to Leicester Square
  • simonkirkland
    • 24th Apr 12, 7:20 PM
    • 24th Apr 12, 7:20 PM
    Originally posted by BillTrac

How do you do this I can't see any where on tkts website?

I'm after jersey Boys tickets for Saturday.

thanks

Simon
    If at first you don't succeed... CHEAT...
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 24th Apr 12, 10:13 PM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 4,135 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 24th Apr 12, 10:13 PM
    • 24th Apr 12, 10:13 PM
    Originally posted by BillTrac
    Are you sure ? Their website says (on the 'what's on sale ?' page) that "Tickets must be purchased in person (ie no phone or web sales) and are subject to availability."

http://www.tkts.co.uk/whats-on-sale/
    • BillTrac
    • By BillTrac 28th Apr 12, 9:46 PM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    BillTrac
    • 28th Apr 12, 9:46 PM
    • 28th Apr 12, 9:46 PM
    Just want to apologise for my stupidity..

I have never bought from TKTS except in person, so when I saw advance purchases I assumed you could buy them withou having to go to the ticket office.

Doh!
    Last edited by BillTrac; 29-04-2012 at 4:50 PM.
  • ollyc
    • 1st May 12, 10:15 PM
    • 1st May 12, 10:15 PM
    Try looking at this site

http://bargaintheatre.tumblr.com/

If you look for the Deal directory it shows you where to buy all the discount tickets by show, and all reputable sites (lastminute etc..). Excellent for last minute tickets. Also good for show reviews.

Failing that, as posted above TKTS is your best bet if you can get into Leicester Sq.
    • Alye16
    • By Alye16 2nd May 12, 8:22 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Alye16
    • 2nd May 12, 8:22 AM
    • 2nd May 12, 8:22 AM
    I we have brought tickets from TKTS in Leicester Square many times but we have always gone with a list of things we would like to see.Have had some fantastic seats.If you only want to see one show you may find the tickets aren't available or they aren't the price you want to pay.
    • kt21
    • By kt21 2nd May 12, 8:33 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 1,700 Thanks
    kt21
    when are you going? get into london theatre is on through the summer, some good bargain seats to be had!
  • Gillybean103
    We went last October and bought tickets for Shrek at the ticket booth just about opposite the cinema (round the corner from the odeon) our tickets were in the stalls and were 27 each, we bought them about half an hour before the show started!
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 3rd May 12, 2:25 PM
    • 3,350 Posts
    • 2,797 Thanks
    Sharon87
    I bought tickets at TKTs from Leicester Square. It was either going to be Wicked or Jersey Boys. But they said the only seats for Jersey Boys were right at the back at 45 or Wicked at full price of around 62. Not all musicals are discounted at the TKTs stand, only certain ones. The most recent/popular tend not to be discounted much if at all

Here is the website with a list of today's tickets and prices

http://www.tkts.co.uk/whats-on-sale/
    • sarahlouise210
    • By sarahlouise210 7th May 12, 2:45 AM
    • 3,163 Posts
    • 3,614 Thanks
    sarahlouise210
    are you going with children ?? If you can wait until August you could go in Kids week ( which is actually about Kids month !!) you can get one FREE kids ticket for each adult - this means you can get much better seats or if you have a smaller budget, buy the cheaper seats and still get one free! You can take one child free per adult and any additional children are half price
    http://www.kidsweek.co.uk/

Kids Week is all about encouraging young people to get involved in theatre. During Kids Week a child 16 and under can go free to any participating show when accompanied by an adult paying full price. Parents can also purchase up to two extra children’s tickets at half price.

In addition, Kids Week offers a fantastic range of free activities, workshops and events.
    Personally I would not use lastminute.com for tickets unless it states "best seats" and not "Best available" - from my experience yes you pay less ..but there is a good reason for that and view is poor. Always check out deals by googling first - I regularly use www.lovetheatre.com
    You can always check out the best seats for a show by using www.theatremonkey.com which is my theatre bible!
  • daznfiz
    kids free week - west end
    Kids free at westend - Its a great deal but take care - the 'free' ticket is not as free as you may think - normal seat for adult 45 + booking fee, deal price to get the additonal free seat (for exact same seat) 60 (no booking fee). So to get the free seat the original one is 15 extra, (or as I prefer to look on the bright Im still saving 30 on buying two full price seats!!)

Looking at Shrek, it was better to book a normal family deal for 4 seats rather than the free seat deal as all deal seats are 'restricted view'. A few quid extra and you had unrestricted view seats. no point being cheap if you cant see.

NB. website is a nightmare as when exploring it, if seats not available it always dumps back out to main menu so you need to reselect dates everytime
  • windyng
    Queing up at the kiosk does work. But like another user said above, go with a list/open mind and you won't be disappointed.
    • j0nnyboy69
    • By j0nnyboy69 25th Jul 12, 10:54 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    j0nnyboy69
    I've also found that you can be very dissappointed with the queing option. Sometimes paying for a 'half price' ticket but it's actually worth less than that.

Managed to 'Wicked' tickets on Ticketmaster last night for 20 - And you can select where you sit and I know they aren't that bad. I've been in the Apollo before.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,714Posts Today

5,276Users online

Martin's Twitter