Spill the beans...on your car boot sale tips, tricks and steals

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
Spill the beans... on your car boot sale tips, tricks and steals[IMGRIGHT]http://images.moneysavingexpert.com/images/spillthebeans2.gif[/IMGRIGHT]

Who doesn't love the atmosphere of a car boot sale? It's a great place to flog your old furniture or get a look-in at the decent stuff. We'd like to know your tips on when to go, what to buy, what not to buy and how to haggle.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• jamesaberry
    Options
    1. Arrive early. Just as it opens if you can drag yourself from your pit on your day off!

2. Take a bag. Stall holders will not be able to provide a trustworthy bag - you don't want one breaking and an item being damaged.

3. Have plenty of change handy.

4. Haggle, then walk away. Give it 5 minutes and they may change their mind.

5. Never ignore a box. Stall holders put less desirable items together, but sometimes an item is valuable and they don't know.

6. Easily re-saleable items:

- Kitchenalia
    - Old Penguins books (orange covers)
    - Bakelite items
    - Good quality kids toys
    - 1930s mechanical clocks
  • THEMONEYSPIDER_2
    Options
    Ohhhhh I love Carboot sales!!

My top tip is dont get bogged down with bargains!! Only buy what you were intially looking for, otherwise you could easily come home with a carfull of stuff you dont really need just because it was cheap!:D

Haggle, if they want £1 offer 50p, they normally come back with a counter offer of 75p :)

Take a strong bag.
    Take some loo roll, often the toilets run out quickly!

Beware of pick pockets, unfortunately our local carboot has had a massive rise in pickpockets :(

Avoid the burger van and take your own refreshments

Get there early!! for the best bargains, but also towards the end some people will literally be giving stuff away ( remember tip 1 :rotfl:)
    Build your own dreams ~ or someone will hire you to help build theirs
    £10 a day = £335.99 Road Kill Rebel #50 =12P
  • butler_helen
    butler_helen Posts: 1,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Best tip: be nice! Knowone has to sell something to you. I bought some shoes for £2, lady next to me states quite loudly "you wouldn't give me them for £2!". Stall holder politely replies with "yes but she said please". Que rolling laughter from onlookers.

Second tip: walk around twice - people get more out of their cars after they clear a bit - you don't want to miss anything.
    If you aim for the moon if you miss at least you will land among the stars!
  • ditzyangeluk
    Options
    I LOVE Car Boots too ... but no car or way to get there! Woe is me :-(
    Be who you are, say what you feel
    Cos those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind

:dance: :dance: :dance:

You are what you are ~ live with it!

• Travelqueen
    Travelqueen Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    I second the be polite rule.

I HATE the people that follow you as you're pulling your car up, and then try and rummage around in the back whilst you are unpacking. Most of the time its people asking for mobile phones, computer consoles and electric guitars though and I quite politely tell them to b*gger off.

Wait until the seller is looking a bit less harassed by these vultures and generally they will be more open to bargaining.
    One day everything I earn will be mine and not the banks... ::rotfl:
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    My pal goes one way I go the other, a quick recce first, then we meet back where we started and confer.
    Then a thorough walk round.
    As said, a good bag, have change, haggle but be polite and a thank you always helps.
  • roddycam
    roddycam Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Watch out for people offering big notes,we got a fake £20 for an item costing £4.50 and I don't think it was an accident. I think you can buy pens to check notes so if you are selling big ticket items (or even if you're not) it might be worth investing in one.
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Definitely strong bags, comfy shoes, lots of change.
    I take a couple of different purses, one for notes, one for change & keep some change in my pockets as well.
    Leave anything of value you usually carry in your bag at home, bank cards etc.
    Tape measure, measurements of anything you're looking for, curtains etc.
    Haggle but do try & resist the cheeky offers, the seller may just think you're being rude & not budge from their price.
    Be friendly.
    Rummage.
    If you're interested in buying fragile items take some bubble wrap with you.
    Try & suss out the traders from the private sellers, people clearing their own stuff are generally cheaper.
    Enjoy.
  • golddustmedia
    Options
    As a frequent seller at car boots I offer both advice and a warning to car boot purchasers:

Don't try to have the seller over for a profit. For example when I was selling a computer PDA in a box a would be purchaser had a program on his phone to scan the barcode and find out how much it was selling for on ebay, he told me as much then offered half on the basis he would sell it online for a profit. I put it back in the car and said "I know how to use ebay too". The seller is often there to clear space and may offer a bargain, but nobody deserves to be exploited.

Having said that, I do use ebay, and realistically the stuff for sale on my car boot sale stall is the stuff I couldn't or wouldn't sell on ebay/gumtree. Always be mindful of what your buying and the lack of a guarantee. That old computer I'm offering for £5, when I say it's old and only for parts I mean that, it's for parts. Bargains can be had though, I bought an old laser printer for £1 as parts were no longer available. I used it for 6 months until it broke then recycled it.

However I wouldn't stoop so low as the person I bought a hedgetrimmer from, only to get it home and find it didn't work. There are sellers at car boot sales are dishonest, be mindful of that with regard to what you're buying.

My personal favourite is childrens books. Shop around, a stall holder with a box of lots of books will often let them go at 20p each to encourage volume sales - 10 books for £2 is great. Stall holders with only a few "nice" books often want £1 each.
  • golddustmedia
    Options
    If you've got a large car or van be ready for a good deal.

Often sellers will offer large/bulky items very cheaply as there are limited people who can take them away.

I once got a set of 4 nice dining chairs for £10, used them for 2 years then put them on gumtree for offers (expecting my £10 back) and was offered £20.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure