Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Over 50s Money Saving > Mother keeps having money stolen (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Mother keeps having money stolen
Closed Thread
Views: 2,752
# 21
devildog
Old 22-03-2012, 5:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanq View Post
As far a I know cards and PINs should never to be shared. Joint account holders, including attorneys and donors, are each given their own cards and PINs.
I have been given a card and pin for an account I am an authorised signatory on but equally I can go online without this and have access to their account through logging on with my account(both have accounts with same bank)
# 22
meg72
Old 22-03-2012, 7:16 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepheus View Post
She did lay a trap with somw small notes, nothing went amiss.

The lockable cabinet should be sufficient to avoid opportunistic thieves if not professional ones with a crowbar. Wether she uses it or not is something else. That reminds me I will have to get another key made in case she loses it.

The irony is that there is no need for large amounts of money, Cousin can nip into till at any time 100 yds down the road. He comes in every day. Every time I ask what does she need it for, she goes beserk, must be operating a money laundering operation somewhere
I really feelfor you on this, but have to say you cannot protect
your Mom from herself and if she insists on keeping the money in the house you cant stop her.You say she goes berserk if you askwhat she need it for, my own Mom is the same but in her case its several thousand pounds gone missing, and we know this is down to a family member, when we (my Brother and i) tried to protect her she turned gainst us in favour of the other family member.

Have had to accept that its her choice and of course ,her money
andjust let her get on with it. Heartbreaking though it is to know that she is being used and robbed
GC is to spend same or bit less than last year.
Jan 50/50.Feb100/54 Mar 50/60.April 100/72.
May50/95.June50/55.July85/72.Aug50/49
Sept 40/45Oct 40.Nov50.Dec.100 total for year 765
# 23
blossomhill
Old 01-04-2012, 9:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

That's distressing for you, sorry to hear this

Ref the card details; when I spoke to my mum's bank about her suggestion that we needed a joint account in case she went into hospital and she couldn't get to any cash, the bank said "she could just ask you to use her card and PIN, if she trusts you" - I asked if this would be within the rules and they said yes

I would suggest asking the bank for some consecutively numbered notes and then reporting the numbers to the police if they go missing - if it is a simple misunderstanding then no harm done

The amount involved sounds similar to the amount my elderlies have wanted to keep by them to keep feeling independent, I wouldn't suggest trying to restrict that, just try to catch or deter the tealeaf - perhaps even by putting a note with the cash saying "the serial numbers of these notes have been recorded for reporting to the police in the event of theft"

Or setting up a notebook for all legitimate callers to record any money she gives them, so they know that it is being looked into "Dear visitors/carers, please note in here all cash paid to you by mum, as she has lost track of some recently so it is necessary to account for her cash formally now"

HTH
You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
# 24
Biggles
Old 02-04-2012, 1:16 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomhill View Post
Ref the card details; when I spoke to my mum's bank about her suggestion that we needed a joint account in case she went into hospital and she couldn't get to any cash, the bank said "she could just ask you to use her card and PIN, if she trusts you" - I asked if this would be within the rules and they said yes
It certainly wouldn't be 'within the rules'. Whoever told you this needs showing the bank door before they mislead anybody else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread