PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Embarrassingly full freezer!

Options
dinx1972
dinx1972 Posts: 1,885 Forumite
Debt-free and Proud!
edited 18 April 2012 at 6:23PM in Old style MoneySaving
OH has just done a stint on jury service and we lost all his overtime, so need to economise for the next month or so to compensate.

Just done an audit of my freezer and found the following:-

371G turkey breast fillet
[STRIKE]2 chicken breasts [/STRIKE]24/03 - fajitas
2 chicken breasts
[STRIKE]chicken legs X 2[/STRIKE] 13/04
[STRIKE]chicken drumsticks 700g [/STRIKE]02/04

[STRIKE]400g coop braising steak[/STRIKE] 22/03
[STRIKE]350g bagged beef steak mince [/STRIKE]03/04 - spag bol
[STRIKE]500g extra lean steak mince [/STRIKE]25/03 - lasagne
400g stir fry beef
Steak medallions x 2
633g casserole steak
410g casserole steak
[STRIKE]440g basic diced beef [/STRIKE]16/04
[STRIKE]4 beef burgers[/STRIKE] 07/04

[STRIKE]Salmon fillets x2[/STRIKE]21/03
Salmon fillets x 2
[STRIKE]Salmon fillets x 2[/STRIKE] 18/04
[STRIKE]Tuna steaks x 2[/STRIKE] 18/04
[STRIKE]2 breaded cod fillets[/STRIKE] 21/03

[STRIKE]4 dry cured bacon steaks [/STRIKE]- soup
pork boneless neck fillet joint (enough for 4)
445g diced pork shoulder
445g diced pork shoulder
1 pkt bacon back medallions
[STRIKE]pork burgers x 4[/STRIKE] 12/04
pork burgers x 2
330g pork loin steaks
[STRIKE]4 pork steaks [/STRIKE]30/03
[STRIKE]186g unsmoked lardons[/STRIKE] 20/03
250g smoked bacon lardons
[STRIKE]oak smoked rindless streaky bacon 200g [/STRIKE]08/04 brunch
[STRIKE]454g cumberland sausages [/STRIKE]- 04/04
[STRIKE]454g herb sausages [/STRIKE]24/03- breakfast
[STRIKE]834g boneless lamb shoulder joint [/STRIKE]01/04
292g lamb neck fillet

[STRIKE]2 Aberdeen angus co-op beef burgers [/STRIKE]30/03
[STRIKE]Pilau rice for 2[/STRIKE] 19/03
Egg fried rice for 2
[STRIKE]350g cheese sauce [/STRIKE]16/04
[STRIKE]Macaroni cheese for 1 [/STRIKE] 25/03
[STRIKE]1 turkey escallop[/STRIKE] 19/03
[STRIKE]1 Bullet steak [/STRIKE]13/04
4 pigs in blankets
[STRIKE]Fish fingers for 1[/STRIKE] 10/04
[STRIKE]Chicken korma curry for 1[/STRIKE] 13/04
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

USED FROM FREEZER 28/44.
:j DEBT FREE FROM 01/01/11 :j
Declutter 2012 - 191, 2013 - 26

Comments

• dinx1972
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 19 March 2012 at 3:36PM
    Options
    90% of the stuff is yellow stickered:o (I think I may need rehab for this hard to kick habit:rotfl:).

My normal weekly shop can be anywhere from £60 -£130 a week depending on what is on offer, as I tend to bulk buy the offers.

By my rough reckoning there is enough there to form the basis of around 30 meals for 4 of us (me, OH, DS14, DS10) , although it would give us a diet that is a bit red meat heavy.

My plan is to NOT BUY ANY meat until my stock is used and my freezer defrosted :eek:.

This is my pledge and putting it down here is the motivation that I need to carry through:rotfl:. I plan to post each day what I have used, how I have used it and strike it off my first post.

Wish me luck for I am sure as hell going to need it:rotfl:.

My normal shopping budget from 15th to 14th of each month is £383, so I will keep a running budget as will still need to buy lunch and breakfast stuff, fruit and veges. Oh I do love a challenge.
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :rotfl: guessing it's a big freezer then. We have ours nicely under control now (well almost...) Indeed last shop we didn't have to play freezer tetris to get new purchases in :D Gives a very nice feeling of being in control rather than storing food for the SMs
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • dinx1972
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    DundeeDoll wrote: »
    :rotfl: guessing it's a big freezer then. We have ours nicely under control now (well almost...) Indeed last shop we didn't have to play freezer tetris to get new purchases in :D Gives a very nice feeling of being in control rather than storing food for the SMs

Not really, just a standard upright, but I always was good at Tetris;).

New mantra in my life, I MUST TAKE CONTROL OF MY FREEZER, I MUST TAKE CONTROL OF MY FREEZER, I MUST TAKE CONTROL OF MY FREEZER, I MUST TAKE CONTROL OF MY FREEZER.:rotfl::rotfl:
  • DundeeDoll
    Options
    So a parrot really horrifies its owner with its fowl (pardon the pun) language. The man threatens the parrot if you don't clean up your act I'm going to put you in the freezer to cool down. The parrot takes no notice so the man carries out his threat. After five minutes he opens the freezer. Out comes the parrot, not an expletive to be heard. 'I am so sorry young man from now on I shall definitely watch my ps and qs. But just one question: what the heck did that poor chicken do?!' :rotfl:
  • dinx1972
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    By the end of the 30 days you will all be pig sick of me, so may do a weeks meal plan and then update my main post once a week, we will see.

Todays efforts for dinner are pathetic but have resulted in two things out of the freezer, the bad news is that 3 more went in:rotfl:.

Today we have dined on escallop sandwich DS14, poached egg on toast DS10, and OH and myself had the pilau rice with left overs from fridge and a sauce thrown together from store cupboard. Don't we eat well:cool:. Have also taken out of freezer a pack of smoked lardons to make a winter soup tomorrow.
  • DundeeDoll
    Options
    Well done on the two out, but why 3 in?!
  • dinx1972
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I happened to pop into waitrose for milk and wandered past the reduced section:D:D, two packs of reduced sausages and some reduced breadcrumbed cod pieces later:whistle::whistle::whistle:.

I did say I needed rehab for my whoopsie sticker addiction:rotfl::rotfl:.:o
  • koolkatsaffi
    koolkatsaffi Posts: 628 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 March 2012 at 10:05PM
    Options
    Crikey! ...Take it you guys aint veggies then!...:rotfl:

With ya on being addicted to the marked down bargains tho :o

That section is my first port of call when at the supermarket...I tend to buy the rest of my shopping built on my bargain purchases! :)

:heartpuls Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE! :heartpuls

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle :)
  • gibson123
    gibson123 Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    Options
    my freezer was really good until i went to Asda to buy a bottle of wine and all the bakery goods were reduced by 1p, I filled the freezer with bread and rolls and bagels, the whole freezer was filled for 15p. Just finished these up at the weekend.
  • artichoke
    artichoke Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2012 at 10:33PM
    Options
    hi

i might have to join you on this "eat from the freezer" challenge..... we are having a tough month and need to spend as little as possible from now until end of April BUT i have 3 freezers and 2 are full to the brim....mainly the unmentionable bits of meat that i shove in not quite knowing what to do with them, plus fish i buy when reduced but i don't know how to cook fish, and pastry i buy when reduced and shove it in then forget about it....

maybe i should make a list of my freezers on another thread and try and do this with you...

I also have walk in pantry that is overflowing but no fresh stuff so it is it making for some weird meals...

tonight we had LAMB stir fry, with fresh carrots, tined pineapple, tinned water chestnuts and jarred sweet and sour sauce...with packet of noodles... (it was weird as you never see lamb in chinese restaurants round here?? and so don't think of it as a stir fry meat...and it was lacking in fresh veg as my stir frys are usually mainly veg with a bit of meat to keep DH happy..

right off to look in the pantry shelves and freezer in there to see what is lurking in the depths...i know there is a few bags of pigs trotters and loads of breasts of lamb - which i have never been able to cook in a way that is not too greasy for me...

Art
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family