IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Help! House insurance advice
Closed Thread
Views: 419
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Old 31-01-2012, 4:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
Default Help! House insurance advice


I think that I have a bit of a problem that shouldn't really be a problem.

I own a second property which has a small mortgage attached, which has until now been let. As my mother has sold her house I have offered it to her for her to live in.

I have no intention of charging rent to my own mother. I don't want to re-register as a landlord and take all the hassle that goes with it.

However I obviously have to insure the building (not the contents, my mother will take care of that).

Where can I get a policy that allows me to insure the property as occupied but not as my main home and not a rented property?

Any advice gratefully received. Location is Scotland however I don't think that's a factor...
cornwell74 is offline
Report Post
# 2
Old 01-02-2012, 11:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 21

Have you tried calling the Insurer on the house you currently live in? They may well be willing to help, as you already have business with them.

Although as you say you are not charging rent, which is very nice of you by the way, for insurance purposes it may not matter depending on the company.

Different companies will most likely take different views - but as it's immediate family, i.e. I'm pretty sure your Mum is not going to destroy the property - which is the main concern with Insurers and rented properties - it's likely they will allow a 'normal' policy for you.

Best place to start is your current Insurer. Failing that, try calling some of the established names - Lloyds TSB, Barclays, Natwest, Zurich etc etc as they will most likely accommodate this for you. I would personally avoid comparison websites for this one, last thing you want is a claim being rejected when they find out the full details - human contact is best for this one for piece of mind.
Cheeze83 is offline
Report Post
# 3
Old 01-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,250

I think you are going to have to check this out and be a bit careful.
Try your existing insurer or try an insurance broker.

Normal policies cover existing famiy living with you.
Worst case you will need a landlords policy even though no money is changing hands.
lisyloo is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 9:51 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 15 April 2015

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed


Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed