IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Help! House insurance advice
Closed Thread
Views: 389
# 1
cornwell74
Old 31-01-2012, 4:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Help! House insurance advice

Hi,

I think that I have a bit of a problem that shouldn't really be a problem.

I own a second property which has a small mortgage attached, which has until now been let. As my mother has sold her house I have offered it to her for her to live in.

I have no intention of charging rent to my own mother. I don't want to re-register as a landlord and take all the hassle that goes with it.

However I obviously have to insure the building (not the contents, my mother will take care of that).

Where can I get a policy that allows me to insure the property as occupied but not as my main home and not a rented property?

Any advice gratefully received. Location is Scotland however I don't think that's a factor...
# 2
Cheeze83
Old 01-02-2012, 11:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Have you tried calling the Insurer on the house you currently live in? They may well be willing to help, as you already have business with them.

Although as you say you are not charging rent, which is very nice of you by the way, for insurance purposes it may not matter depending on the company.

Different companies will most likely take different views - but as it's immediate family, i.e. I'm pretty sure your Mum is not going to destroy the property - which is the main concern with Insurers and rented properties - it's likely they will allow a 'normal' policy for you.

Best place to start is your current Insurer. Failing that, try calling some of the established names - Lloyds TSB, Barclays, Natwest, Zurich etc etc as they will most likely accommodate this for you. I would personally avoid comparison websites for this one, last thing you want is a claim being rejected when they find out the full details - human contact is best for this one for piece of mind.
# 3
lisyloo
Old 01-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I think you are going to have to check this out and be a bit careful.
Try your existing insurer or try an insurance broker.

Normal policies cover existing famiy living with you.
Worst case you will need a landlords policy even though no money is changing hands.
Closed Thread