PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage on New Home declined due to securities that are not there!

Options
2»

Comments

• LStone
    LStone Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes Steve in hindsight you are right, we accept responsibilty for that. Seemed like a sensible thing to do at the time as planning takes 9 weeks here, we thought we'd run it concurrent with the conveyancing, so we could start building works asap. Our mistake.
    We have been to the council, they are no grants and its kinda difficult to relay any information back to them when we have to go through a Business Development Manger who will not answer our calls. You say Abbey doesnt exist anymore, these are the people we are dealing with are abbeyforintermidiaries (sorry not allowed to post link), would you advise us to try someone else perhaps? We have a local Santander branch, maybe someone there would help us?
  • steve1980
    steve1980 Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    Options
    By any chance are you getting a one of these products?

http://www.abbeyforintermediaries.com/news/latest-news/315

Abbey for intermediaries is just a trading name, the (only) products they offer are Santander.

You can try to go into a branch and ask the in house mortgage advisor (make sure they ARE a mortgage advisor and not just a customer services person) if they know what it means. If you draw a blank with them then you can at least go to your broker (who could've done exactly what I've said) and tell whoever answers the phone that their own staff don't even know what they're going on about.

If they still aren't giving any information then you really need to make the decision as to whether you carry on waiting and trying to read Santanders mind or try and find someone else.
    Estate Agent, Web Designer & All Round Geek!
  • LStone
    Options
    Thanks Steve. After trying to chase the BDM for another week, we have now applied to 2 other lenders in the hope that something can be sorted before the house is purchased by someone else. I have asked my solicitor to write to Santander. We are extremely unhappy with how we have been treated. I believe people have the right to change their mind, but this is ridiculous, we would never have put an offer in on that house if we did not think we were able to obtain the finance. Will be interesting to see if the other lenders come up against the same thing, although I greatly doubt it.
    Thanks for your help everyone. We will be moving our current account and credit card to another bank!
  • LStone
    Options
    UPDATE

With no further response from Santander, we applied to the Nationwide. Again we got a decision in principle saying affordability was fine, waited 48 hrs to be told no on affordability because we are still living in our house, as we have no reliable tenant we are responsible for both mortgages...not sure where they expect us to live in the meantime?? BTL offers are with Mortgage works, Nationwide I'm told. I can't figure it out.
    Broker asked them not to do a Dip until they had checked everything else, so im hoping no footprint on credit file.
    So we have now applied to the Halifax, they are happy enough that we will need to get tenants (estate agent is waiting to take over) and will do 3 names on a mortgage. My broker applied online and response was a referal. So its a waiting game for another 48 hrs. Is a referal good news.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure