Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cirrus18
    • By cirrus18 12th Jan 12, 3:34 PM
    • 176Posts
    • 119Thanks
    cirrus18
    NEW NASA Video promoting LENR (Low Energy Nuclear Reactions) Cold Fusion is here!!! N
    • 12th Jan 12, 3:34 PM
    NEW NASA Video promoting LENR (Low Energy Nuclear Reactions) Cold Fusion is here!!! N 12th Jan 12 at 3:34 PM
    NEW NASA Video promoting LENR (Low Energy Nuclear Reactions) spelling the end for traditional fossil fuels and conventional nuclear power.

http://ecatnews.com/?p=1830

NASA Direct link, http://technologygateway.nasa.gov/media/CC/lenr/lenr.html
    Last edited by cirrus18; 12-01-2012 at 9:49 PM.
Page 1
  • Dave_C
    • 12th Jan 12, 4:40 PM
    • 12th Jan 12, 4:40 PM
    Hardly a reputable news source, strange that such an earth-shattering discovery has not made any major news outlets.

In other news 9/11 was an inside job and the Earth is ruled by Lizards in disguise.

Dave
    • neilwoods
    • By neilwoods 12th Jan 12, 4:48 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    neilwoods
    • 12th Jan 12, 4:48 PM
    • 12th Jan 12, 4:48 PM
    Hardly spelling the end, the video shows a method of how it can be done. Doesn't even mention how many years they are away from developing it though. Probably 100 or so more projects like that going on at any one time. So don't hold your breath for a solution any time soon, could take 50 or years.
    • fwor
    • By fwor 12th Jan 12, 6:32 PM
    • 5,875 Posts
    • 3,922 Thanks
    fwor
    • 12th Jan 12, 6:32 PM
    • 12th Jan 12, 6:32 PM
    This is almost pure hype. The actual footage of someone at Nasa shows a scientist talking hypothetically about something.

The narrator (who doesn't sound like a professional, and could have been employed by anyone) adds the spin.

If you look at past history, these schemes crop up with regularity, starting over a century ago with the first (recorded) "perpetual motion" schemes.

Almost all have been proven to be scams - aimed at getting people to invest in something that's "almost ready, just needs the final touches", and then doing a runner with the money.

The rest seem just to be self-delusion or attention-seeking.

Remember that Fleischmann and Pons made their world-shattering announcement more than 20 years ago, and have had a lot of time since to prove their cold fusion claims - and they have failed to do so. The Japanese spent $20million on research into the subject - and failed.
    • cirrus18
    • By cirrus18 14th Jan 12, 10:22 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    cirrus18
    • 14th Jan 12, 10:22 AM
    • 14th Jan 12, 10:22 AM
    This is almost pure hype. The actual footage of someone at Nasa shows a scientist talking hypothetically about something.

The narrator (who doesn't sound like a professional, and could have been employed by anyone) adds the spin.
    Originally posted by fwor
    Either way it looks like the LENR deniers are going to have to change their tunes and eat their words. It also looks like this revolutionary energy source has high level support in Washington.

Full artical here, http://coldfusion3.com/blog/nasa-publicly-reveals-lenr-research
    • neilwoods
    • By neilwoods 14th Jan 12, 10:36 AM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    neilwoods
    • 14th Jan 12, 10:36 AM
    • 14th Jan 12, 10:36 AM
    that site looks so reputable NOT. Been going for a cpl of years with hardly any visits. Also there seems to be no other mention of this so called support.

LENR is a theory, and likt all other theories about alternative energy, yes they will get some support as there has to be another alternative fuel source, seeing as fossil fuel will run out.
    • cirrus18
    • By cirrus18 14th Jan 12, 11:12 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    cirrus18
    • 14th Jan 12, 11:12 AM
    • 14th Jan 12, 11:12 AM
    that site looks so reputable NOT. Been going for a cpl of years with hardly any visits. Also there seems to be no other mention of this so called support.

LENR is a theory, and likt all other theories about alternative energy, yes they will get some support as there has to be another alternative fuel source, seeing as fossil fuel will run out.
    Originally posted by neilwoods
    So you're saying that the report is false and the scientist in the video isn't really to be believed. Well, you are knowledgeable, far more knowledgeable than this eminent NASA scientist Dr. Joseph Zawodny who is speaking in the video.
    You can read his credentials on this NASA site, http://eospso.gsfc.nasa.gov/directory/eospso_members/j_zawodny.php

LENR is not a theory, it's now a fact. Do a Google search for "NEWS LENR" you will find many reports confirming this.
  • Dave_C
    • 14th Jan 12, 11:31 AM
    • 14th Jan 12, 11:31 AM
    If you do a Google news search on NASA LENR you get all of 19 results.
    A Google news search on LENR gives 48 results.

Spoilt for choice

I suppose a peer-reviewed paper published in a reputable journal is out of the question. I have a distrust of science by press release after the cold fusion debacle.

Dave
    • ChiefGrasscutter
    • By ChiefGrasscutter 14th Jan 12, 11:37 AM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    ChiefGrasscutter
    • 14th Jan 12, 11:37 AM
    • 14th Jan 12, 11:37 AM
    Probably NASA desperate for funding
    • cirrus18
    • By cirrus18 14th Jan 12, 4:40 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    cirrus18
    If you do a Google news search on NASA LENR you get all of 19 results.
    A Google news search on LENR gives 48 results.
    Dave
    Originally posted by Dave_C
    Goodness me, I don't know what sort of search you made. I have just this minute run a search for LENR with Google and got 471,000 results (0.40 seconds) if that's not enough results I don't know what is, just click on this link and you'll see what I mean www.google.co.uk/search?q=LENR.

Anyway, I'm not going to say anything more in this posting, anyone interested can read and believe what they want, I don't care either way. We will just have to see what the future brings. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this new technology pans out because as Prof Brian Cox keeps saying all of the time "IT'S AMAZING".
  • Dave_C
    Goodness me, I don't know what sort of search you made. I have just this minute run a search for LENR with Google and got 471,000 results (0.40 seconds) if that's not enough results I don't know what is, just click on this link and you'll see what I mean www.google.co.uk/search?q=LENR.
    Originally posted by cirrus18
    Do the search as above then click "news" in the left hand pane. Or click here.

Still no peer-reviewed paper.
    • fwor
    • By fwor 14th Jan 12, 6:19 PM
    • 5,875 Posts
    • 3,922 Thanks
    fwor
    Either way it looks like the LENR deniers are going to have to change their tunes and eat their words. It also looks like this revolutionary energy source has high level support in Washington.

Full artical here, http://coldfusion3.com/blog/nasa-publicly-reveals-lenr-research
    Originally posted by cirrus18
    Hehe - the people who are doing this LENR hyping have got careless!

Ok, they've taken the trouble to pay for WhoisGuard from GoDaddy (of the elephant-killing CEO) but they failed to disguise the fact that one server is hosting at least four different "independent" news stories about e-CAT and Rossi.

Just do a reverse IP lookup on your two references above.

http://coldfusion3.com/ points to 208.78.41.22

http://energycatalyzer3.com/ also points to 208.78.41.22

How about http://www.citunionbk.com/ - another promoter of investment in E-Cat? Same server on 208.78.41.22.

If you go straight to

http://208.78.41.22/

the default site there is "Lct Business and Finance News" and surprise, on ~that~ website, the second article down is entitled "Cold Fusion - Invest your money in the Rossi e-Cat reactor and Ampenergo"

That's sloppy work in my book - if you're going to hype something you shouldn't have a whole load of your "independent reports" all in the same place...
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Jan 12, 7:00 PM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,228 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Do the search as above then click "news" in the left hand pane. Or click here.
    Originally posted by Dave_C

I think Google is broken . I just did the search and clicked on news, it briefly displays a page of results then shows this:

(function(){})();

which I guess means there's a coding error somewhere in Google. To spoil the fun for any conspiracy theorists, it does this whatever the search term was, not just LENR
    • neilwoods
    • By neilwoods 14th Jan 12, 7:09 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    neilwoods
    Instead of doing google search for LENR, should do one on Andrea Rossi, seems his companies go bust very quickly, also seems to like prison food. Not forgetting his invention seems to go against of laws nuclear physics, and anyone who was to use this LENR E-cat machine would die of radiation poisoning.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,254Posts Today

8,901Users online

Martin's Twitter