What to write?

Options
There_Goes_Trouble
There_Goes_Trouble Posts: 821 Forumite
edited 16 November 2011 at 8:06PM in Marriage, relationships & families
I've been following a blog written by the mum of a ten year old boy with a rare but eventually fatal brain tumour. They've just had the news that he may have as little as 6 to 8 weeks left to live.

His Mum has asked if people would write to her son, to let him know there are people who have been touched by his story. Here's what she's asked:

"He was crying tonight when we were talking about how he touches peoples lives and he said that he's only touched one person's life... a little boy at McDonalds a few years ago, Oliver gave him his toy that the boy wanted. Ollie said it made him feel special inside because he was thinking of others. It made me so sad though to think that he really doesn't feel like he's touched people's lives. I want people to think of how he has touched their lives and if you would like to write him or us a letter telling him how he's touched your life or changed it, please send it to us..... I think he could really use that knowledge right now. I hope that he'll get some mail and see that he's touched people that he's never even met! He is such a sweet, compassionate and loving kid and always has been."

I'd quite like to write to this kid, but what the heck would I, a 39 year old British woman, say in a letter to a 10 year old American kid who has only weeks to live?

I think it would be cool though to get letters from abroad so I wanted to send something and maybe help make Oliver smile, even if only briefly.

Comments

• make_me_wise
    Options
    Wow how incredibly sad. My advice is to always keep it real with kids. You could say how touched you have been by his bravery and courage whilst suffering from such a serious illness. If the mum has opened up and let you in on any other achievements you could mention those. He sounds wise beyond his years bless him and someone full of empathy. I think this letter should just be written from the heart.
  • Gigglepig
    Gigglepig Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    very hard to know what to write, but don't let that stop you :-)

I think even a post card from abroad with a brief message may cheer him up a little?

Some thoughts you have had after reading the blog?

Maybe tell him that you have enjoyed reading his blog and that it helps you remember what is important in life...

Maybe he has written about a topic/theme in his blog you can comment on...

Maybe you have a favourite saying, poem or a verse from a song lyric you want to share...
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I think I would tell him how reading about this very special little boy has touched your life in many ways -
    by making you aware that there are many children in his situation
    by making you value your own children and thier health that much more (if applicable)
    by making you count YOUR own blessings
    even these three things, are a start and I am sure once you start writing you will think of more ways this child has touched your life
    and please mention that HE has touched your heart and you will remember him with much affection always!
  • There_Goes_Trouble
    Options
    Thank you, that's all really helpful.

I'll draft something on the computer later and then when I'm happy with it I'll hand write it into a card and send that I think.
  • newcook
    newcook Posts: 5,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strange question but is the boy called Harry or am I thinking of another little boy? If it is Harry Im very sorry to say but he died a few of weeks ago.

his bracelets are still available to buy to help raise money towards cancer research http://www.helpharryhelpothers.com/get-involved/ . From what I have read he was an amazing little boy and had more followers on twitter than Wayne Rooney!
  • pinkclouds
    pinkclouds Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Options
    newcook wrote: »
    Strange question but is the boy called Harry or am I thinking of another little boy? If it is Harry Im very sorry to say but he died a few of weeks ago.

his bracelets are still available to buy to help raise money towards cancer research http://www.helpharryhelpothers.com/get-involved/ . From what I have read he was an amazing little boy and had more followers on twitter than Wayne Rooney!

I think that's another boy - I'm pretty sure Harry was British and the OP says the boy is American.

Btw, I think it's a really sweet thing you're doing OP. I'm sure his mom will appreciate it.
  • newcook
    newcook Posts: 5,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pinkclouds wrote: »
    I think that's another boy - I'm pretty sure Harry was British and the OP says the boy is American.

Btw, I think it's a really sweet thing you're doing OP. I'm sure his mom will appreciate it.

doh! sorry!! that will teach me for not reading properly!!!!
  • There_Goes_Trouble
    Options
    Thanks, that's very sad about Harry, I'll look at his website later when I get home.

This one is an American boy called Oliver. I'm sure there are lots more of them out there, in fact I'm thinking of signing up to post pals.
  • Lady_Aga
    Options
    Receiving a hand-written letter is a joy in itself.
    I would say that you have read about him how does he feel to be famous, that you felt so proud of him for being brave and strong and wanted to let him and his family know. He is only 10, so keep it lighthearted, like how amazing that this letter has travelled thousands of miles across the ocean from one person to another. Write as if you are going to get a response, such as wondering how many letters he might get and could he get enough to be in the Guinness Book of Records. Tell him a bit about what is happening here that might interest him (your favourite Premier League football team, christmas decorations in the shops).
    Support your local community. Buy British.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure