13»

Comments

• Silent_Calls_Victim
    Silent_Calls_Victim Posts: 49 Forumite
    edited 6 October 2011 at 2:39PM
    Options
    jonnyfgood wrote: »
    I have been warned....!!!
    As "Sophie" appears to contradict an apparently authoritative statement from a spokesperson representing Virgin Media, it seems that a leading provider of telecommunications services has its own communications problems.

"Sophie" claims that Virgin Media is breaching its duties under the General Conditions imposed on all telephone companies and is minded to continue doing so.

Ofcom has been notified, but apparently wishes for every victim of this breach to register a personal complaint with the Ofcom Contact Centre - even though the breach is systemic and admitted!

Unless I hear to the contrary, I will have to assume that a more recent statement on behalf of the Virgin Media CEO supersedes the advice provided to me previously, when my suggestion that a formal statement be published was not taken up.

I feel that we must now press Ofcom to get heavy as it is quite unacceptable for consumers to be expected to believe the nonsense which Virgin Media is putting out. Virgin Media is wholly responsible and totally accountable for the charges it imposes. Regardless of particular overcharges, it is improper for it to propagate any myth to the contrary.

Virgin Media has been warned....!!!
    iniltous wrote: »
    In your situation I would be looking for another supplier and ditching the one you use.

This may well be Ofcom's answer. It cannot however be right that we have to balance the various benefits offered by different providers against their breaches of regulations, which some of us are able to avoid. Ofcom exists to ensure fair competition and protection of the interests of all consumers.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jonnyfgood wrote: »
    she confirmed that the charges levied through 'operator connected calls' were valid, and not the fault of VM.
    No she didn't. She passed on, uncritically, some garbage to that effect that she had been told by an incompetent executive responsible for billing.
    There are two possible ways forward.
    1. Insist that VM must put in writing the garbage retold by Sophie. Then formally complain to VM, in line with VM's complaints procedure, that this made-up charge is not in their published tariff, and that either they amend their tariff, or they stop making this charge. When you get an ignorant and evasive reply, insist on referring it to whatever dispute resolution system VM subscribe to.
    2. Continue to make calls to the 01 number, and if they continue to be billed not in accordance with VM's tariff, make a Money Claim On Line to recover the extra-contractual charges.
  • Silent_Calls_Victim
    Options
    YoungNick wrote: »
    ... There are two possible ways forward.
    I have to disagree.

jonnyfgood has been offered a full refund for the cost of the incorrectly billed calls. That is the most that could be expected as a remedy from either of the ways outlined.

He has also indicated that he will never call these numbers again, through Virgin Media.

This means that his particular case is fully resolved.

If there needs to be a "way forward", it has to address the intended repetition of this improper practice by Virgin Media. One Money Saving Expert has succeeded in getting his money back and warned others about how to save themselves from making the same mistake. It may be that this issue has moved beyond the proper scope of this forum.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 October 2011 at 8:36AM
    Options
    I agree, SCV, that it is also desirable to complain to Ofcom. And you are one of the very few people who might actually get Ofcom to act.

It is of course up to jonnyfgood to decide whether he is satisfied with the refund of the charges so far wrongly billed, coupled with the threat that VM will continue to bill wrongly calls to the historic 01202 Tesco store number, which Tesco has arranged to maintain in service. If I were a VM customer, I would be insisting on monetary compensation for my annoyance and wasted time, an explanation of how the error arose, and an undertaking to stick to the contractual prices in future.

Even if (which I doubt) Cable and Wireless has bamboozled the incompetents at VM to pay C&W a weird termination rate for these calls, it is still, as you so rightly say, 100% in VM's control what it charges its own customers.

A fundamental money-saving principle is 'Insist on a clear contract with transparent prices, and insist that the supplier sticks to those prices.'

According to "Sophie", VM's offer is 'unlimited calls to 01 numbers for £x a month, except that for some 01 numbers, which we aren't telling you, we will make up an arbitrary charge'. This absurd bluff is void under the consumer contracts regulations, and a Money Claim on Line for the refund of purported charges made under it, plus the court fee, plus compensation, would be bound to succeed.

From your, SCV's, experience, it appears that there is one (possibly only one?) person at VM who understands how termination rates and billing are supposed to work. A flood of Money Claims on Line to recover random charges might possibly cause the incompetent blatherers at VM to listen to this one person.
  • josie1256
    Options
    I have just joined to tell you my story. I had two operator connected calls on my last VM bill to 078 numbers that I did not recognise. After borrowing my sons mobile to check out the numbers one turns out to be my husbands work which you guessed is Tescos but unlike everyone else I dialled 02381 for Southampton.The other was Tescos opticians. I have rang VM and they said they would ring me back later this week.
  • jumpleads
    Options
    further to the discussion i got my vm bill september paid it for as normal october bill comes with a phone call dated 21 august checked the call it was a local call on my landline to tesco down the road the bill said i had rang a mobile number 07822818818 costing me 3.85 been on to vm india of course told iwill get a refund but will not hold my breath
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    edited 6 November 2011 at 11:57AM
    Options
    jumpleads wrote: »
    further to the discussion i got my vm bill september paid it for as normal october bill comes with a phone call dated 21 august checked the call it was a local call on my landline to tesco down the road the bill said i had rang a mobile number 07822818818 costing me 3.85 been on to vm india of course told iwill get a refund but will not hold my breath
    It was understood towards the end of September that this had been fixed and that Virgin Media would automatically issue refunds to those who had been overcharged (most of which probably hadn't noticed).

Now it seems that neither Virgin Media is doing anything or Ofcom is doing anything despite being made aware. If this had been a telco complaining about another telco, then the regulator would have been straight on it.

Irrespective of whether any individual gets a refund (after complaining), there is a point of principle and that is that calls charged are those dialled. I urge those who have experienced any illegal charges by Virgin Media to write to Ofcom: contact@ofcom.org.uk

If VM doesn't put it in writing that you will get a refund but does give you a refund, send Ofcom a copy of your bill showing as such.
  • Helen660
    Options
    I've experienced this problem too. Today I got a bill for £291.00 of which £218 relates to 07 numbers which I didn't dial from June to October...... I dialled an 02 number! Once I finally made myself understood the guy I spoke to agreed to refund the calls said there was a fault on my line and I was put through to the faults team. Hmm faults team who said if I could make and receive call there was no fault! I'm more confused now than before I rung. Do I have a fault on the line? Will they direct debit £218?
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    edited 28 November 2011 at 4:04PM
    Options
    In answer to your questions; No, you do not have a line fault, you have a Billing error. Also it is very possible your bank will be hit for the amount showing as owed. Call the online service and it will tell you the figure that is owing at the tie of your call.

You need to speak with a UK service office as a matter of urgency. They will offer to rebate the amount, but not to reduce he DD. which is a good reason not to give them one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure