Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > What on Earth does quantitative easing mean? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What on Earth does quantitative easing mean?
Closed Thread
Views: 2,686
# 1
MSE Guy
Old 06-10-2011, 1:21 PM
MSE News Editor
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default What on Earth does quantitative easing mean?

Just click reply to post.

Last edited by MSE Guy; 06-10-2011 at 1:24 PM.
# 2
vax2002
Old 06-10-2011, 1:24 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Printing money and letting it loose in the economy.
Work a treat in Zimbabwe....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vax2002 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
tagq2
Old 06-10-2011, 1:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

l fully expect a series of follow-ups entitled "gold standard and fiat currency - an angry contrast of deflation and inflation", "fractional reserve banking - I wish I could do that with my money!", "the Federal Reserve - investment masterpiece or ponzi?" and "how to troll Internet Libertarians".
The Following User Says Thank You to tagq2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
JohalaReewi
Old 06-10-2011, 1:52 PM

Is it a euphemism for colonic irrigation ?
# 5
SnowTiger
Old 06-10-2011, 2:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Oh well, thanks for not explaining it. Probably best really.

There's a more detailed explanation at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_easing.
The Following User Says Thank You to SnowTiger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
James
Old 07-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

In a nutshell:

Taxpayers bailing the Bankers out (again)
The Following User Says Thank You to James For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Venusflytrap
Old 07-10-2011, 11:00 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This series of videos is also worth watching: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...06773770802849
# 8
dtsazza
Old 07-10-2011, 2:44 PM

I disagree with the general assessment - the point of the "jargon" is that it refers to a very specific (and well-defined) product which only exists in the financial sphere. The name is accurate and refers to exactly what that product is. The complaint seems analogous to complaining about using the jargon term of referring to a creature as a "cat", without specifying that you mean a small domesticated short-haired feline mammal - just because you hadn't heard the term cat before. Jargon is often just a term for any specific (and useful!) words related to a given field that the reader/listener doesn't understand, and while it has negative connotations it shouldn't.

We use names as labels - "CDS" refers to exactly that class of instrument, much more specifically and concisely than "insurance taken by lenders in case their borrowers don’t pay loans back" does.

Of course the intended audience needs to be taken into account - there's no point using terms that you know of your audience aren't going to understand, if you intend to inform them. But the other side of the coin is the risk of oversimplifying things; at the risk of sounding snobbish, if someone doesn't know what CDS or quantitative easing refers to (and aren't willing to spend thirty seconds looking it up on Google), they're unlikely to have an understanding of the broader context anyway.

In light of that, I see no problem in the official pronouncement being in the accurate "jargon" so that those who understand what's being said get it at face value; and then commentators translating it into simpler analogies for those that didn't get the specific definition. It's the best of both worlds that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to dtsazza For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
rgchapman
Old 07-10-2011, 3:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Spot on dtsazza. The jargon is there for the people who use it not the layman. If we the public do not understand it, that is either our fault (for not finding out) or the fault of those reporting it for not explaining it in plain English.
No reliance should be placed on the above.

The Following User Says Thank You to rgchapman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
tagq2
Old 07-10-2011, 3:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Shell shock -> Combat stress reaction
Printing money -> Quantitative easing

The terms on the right are more recent and may refer to a more precisely defined experience but constituent words have much less impact. "Oh, it's not shocking, it's just a reaction." "Oh, it's not [e-]printing, it's just easing."

Carlin delivered a good monologue on this (it's got even worse than merely "PTSD" now).
# 11
MoneySaverLog
Old 08-10-2011, 12:36 AM

It means the banks are given money, HM Government then HOPE that the banks will lend this out. More likely they will horde it all.

To you and me that means there is more money out there, so paper money becomes worth less than it was before they printed it. This results in HIGH INFLATION.

QE is NOT good news for savers, and is more bad news with interest rates so low the money sitting in the bank is now eroding away :-( The only solution I see is to risk capital for higher returns on the stock market, commodities and futures. But having fingers burn't in the past, feel that is a very risky strategy, so have to put up with these pittyful rates of return on investment with the banks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneySaverLog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
CFC
Old 08-10-2011, 11:57 PM
PPR

It's what devaluation of the pound is called now they don't control the exchange rates and have no gold. Money is printed but only given to chosen institutions. Wish they'd give it to me, I'd start the consumer upswing singlehandedly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CFC For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Bloomberg
Old 09-10-2011, 10:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Falsehood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Guy View Post

Just click reply to post.

Quantitative easing is basically putting more money into circulation in order to get the economy going. It is a big falsehood which will one day come back to haunt us in the form of rampant inflation. In the short term it may appear to stimulate growth but it is an illusion.

The economy is in tatters due to years of overspending by both the government and private individuals. No matter how you dress it up we have not faced up to the problem. Putting money into circulation which should not really be there and having interest rates at 0.5% is merely papering over the cracks. We are by no means over the worst.
Money talks, are you listening?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bloomberg For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
MoneySaverLog
Old 09-10-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomberg View Post
Quantitative easing is basically putting more money into circulation in order to get the economy going. It is a big falsehood which will one day come back to haunt us in the form of rampant inflation. In the short term it may appear to stimulate growth but it is an illusion.

The economy is in tatters due to years of overspending by both the government and private individuals. No matter how you dress it up we have not faced up to the problem. Putting money into circulation which should not really be there and having interest rates at 0.5% is merely papering over the cracks. We are by no means over the worst.
But it's not going to go into circulation, the banks are going to horde this cash, they are in massive debt and so someone comes along and gives you money, you say thank you very much I'll pay off my debts now.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneySaverLog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
CFC
Old 09-10-2011, 11:50 AM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneySaverLog View Post
But it's not going to go into circulation, the banks are going to horde this cash, they are in massive debt and so someone comes along and gives you money, you say thank you very much I'll pay off my debts now.
Correct. It ought to come to consumers if they want to kick start growth.
The Following User Says Thank You to CFC For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread